By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Straight To The Point: What REALLY went wrong with PlayStation All Stars: Battle Royale?

QUOTE TREES MOTHERFUCKER...CAN YOU SHORTEN THEM?!

Around the Network

I've used this analogy before but I think it is appropriate for this game ...

Suppose Nintendo wanted to produce an answer for Gran Turismo, so they got an above average studio to produce an above average game that had (less than) half the content of Gran Turismo and was lacking cars that were as well known as any of the cars in Gran Turismo. How well would anyone expect this game to sell?

If Sony devoted a couple of their top studios to producing this game, and spent the money to get the biggest third party characters in the game, they might have had a chance to sell half as many units as Smash Bros.

JWeinCom said:
enditall727 said:
JWeinCom said:

First off people don't block because the game's made mode is free for all.  It's the same thing in Smash where it's just too chaotic to really block. In 2P matches blocking would work fine except that a lot of attacks are too quick to/ranged to punish.

Anyway though, if you're draining AP from you're opponent, you're taking away their ability to kill you, basically prolonging your life, and essentially healing yourself.  Especially in FFA, it would make getting anything more than a level 1 very hard.

As for ads... I mentioned all that already.  There were instore demos at every retailer where Sony has paid adspace.  This means Best Buy, Target, and Gamestop at least.  Sony did not put any other games in their displays over the holiday.  They have a youtube video with 3.8 million views that linked directly to the preorder page, and now links directly to retailers web sites to purchase.  They had commercials out for it.  They had an E3 stage demo for it.  Open Beta.  Super bot trotted it out to every fighting game event including Evo.  Web sites had a ton of coverage on it.  IGN in particular did a lot of stuff on the game.   Sony didn't just plop this into retailers with no advertising at all (like they did with Sly).

Anyway though, if you're draining AP from you're opponent, you're taking away their ability to kill you, basically prolonging your life

*looks around*

That's the point. You want to try to make sure that the opponent doesn't get his super while you are building yours at the same time. It could be chaotic

C'mon now Mr. Feeny. most of that stuff named on the ad part is pretty much redundant when being involved with Sony advertising it for the most part.  a !. A beta is a beta. EVERY game gets coverage on websites. IGN DOES NOT equal the masses. IGN makes vids for basically every game so i dont know how you see that as Sony advertising Battle Royale.

Super bot trotted it out to every fighting game event including Evo

yea, i'm pretty sure those people at the event already knew about Battle Royale because.. it is.. a FIGHTING game... at a FIGHTING event

The commercial is the main way to get the word out for a game the quickest at its release

"That's the point. You want to try to make sure that the opponent doesn't get his super while you are building yours at the same time. It could be chaotic"

And that's a bad gameplay mechanic, because it turns the game into a tug of war.  It makes the game much longer, and it heavily favors characters with strong level 1 supers.  And if you're playing a 4 player match you're statistically likely to get hit much more than you hit others, making it nigh impossible to build a super in FFA.

"A lot of games get demos at stores wtf. They do that with basically every game that gets a demo so that is nothing special."

No they do not.  First of all any game that's rated M or above will not get a store demo.  That's a legal issue, so unless Walmart is going to card everyone who walks in... that's going to be a whole lot of games that don't have in store demos.  Second of all, demos are 99% of the time paid space.  I worked at a best buy, and we didn't just put any game we wanted in demos, because advertisers paid for that space and we'd get hit with massive fines if a Sony rep walked in and saw Ni No Kuni in their display.  The displays are changed by vendors at MOST once a month.  Most of the time it's way less than that.  So no, not every game with a demo get's put on display.  Not even close.  And that's space that's paid for by Sony so calling it anything other than an ad is silly. 

"Beta is NOT AN ADVERTISEMENT!"

A beta is a way to showcase a product.  If people played a beta (or demo) and like it, they'll buy the game.  Just because they call it a beta doesn't mean it isn't a form of advertisement.

" IGN DOES NOT equal the masses. IGN makes vids for basically every game so i dont know how you see that as Sony advertising Battle Royale."

IGN is the biggest gaming web site out there.  And they do not cover every game equally.  By my unofficial count, they did about 78 articles on Playstation All Stars.  For Soul Calibur V?  13.  Kid Icarus Uprising had about 40, but keep in mind, we knew about that game since E3 2010 and it launched in march.  So we knew about that game for far longer.  IGN had a large amount of coverage on the game, and IGN is the largest outlet read by gamers.  And, guess who's most likely to buy this game?  You got it, gamers.

"yea, i'm pretty sure those people at the event already knew about Battle Royale because.. it is.. a FIGHTING game... at a FIGHTING event"

Yeah, they knew about it, saw it, weren't impressed, and didn't buy it.  Not to mention people unimpressed with the E3 Demo, Gamescom Demo, etc.  But Sony just did that for their health.  These events clearly are not meant to advertise products.

"The commercial is the main way to get the word out for a game the quickest at its release."

Yeah, and commercials are the only way to advertise things.  Because it's 1990 and things like the internet don't exist.  Ni No Kuni and Xenoblade succeeded because of all those TV commercials, right?   Not to mention that they advertised this.  We don't know how many times they actually showed the ad because the only evidence is "der I didn't see the ads" or "der I saw lots of ads."

It wouldn't really be a tug of war because you would be gaining more AP than you are losing. I see what you mean about it favoring the people with the better level 1 supers. The Super's themselves  need to be more balanced.

I believe each level should be determined by capabilty instead of which 1 looks the coolest. Parappas level 3 should actually be his level 2 because it  ONLY kill 3 opponets while his Level 2 can supposedly rake in more kills.

in a 4 player match, only a person who isn't that good at it will be getting hit constantly without building their bar. Obviously the individual isn't good with the character they are using if they can't build up to a super in the 4 player match. It wont be the other players fault that this certain individual doesn't know how to use his character strategically.

@ The Advertisement part

well you are right that those things are all still a form of advertisement. The TV commercial is still the main way to advertise a game and is the most effective among the things you named

Yeah, they knew about it, saw it, weren't impressed, and didn't buy it.  Not to mention people unimpressed with the E3 Demo, Gamescom Demo, etc.  But Sony just did that for their health.  These events clearly are not meant to advertise products

you could blame that on SuperBot..

Ni No Kuni and Xenoblade would have sold better if they received TV commercials

Like i said before --> A game will just sell at its best possible potential in the specific region at the time with a good commercial behind it

;)

HappySqurriel said:
I've used this analogy before but I think it is appropriate for this game ...

Suppose Nintendo wanted to produce an answer for Gran Turismo, so they got an above average studio to produce an above average game that had (less than) half the content of Gran Turismo and was lacking cars that were as well known as any of the cars in Gran Turismo. How well would anyone expect this game to sell?

If Sony devoted a couple of their top studios to producing this game, and spent the money to get the biggest third party characters in the game, they might have had a chance to sell half as many units as Smash Bros.

I agree with everything you said but i'm pretty sure they would only need 1 studio to do this game. It's not like this stuff is Super hard to do. They mainly just need a good head behind the studio and they will be good. I thought SuperBot would qualify wonderfully but i just don't understand how they were able to drop the ball with this game.

Its not weebo enough to be as big as SSB.

Around the Network

Its supposed to be a fanservice game but it lacked content and roster selections. The super system probably turned people off too.

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype