By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Straight To The Point: What REALLY went wrong with PlayStation All Stars: Battle Royale?

I just want to start by saying that i'm still not the greatest when it comes to making threads but Hopefully this thread will be the last of all the "flop" talk that Battle Royale has been receiving lately.

I am also a PlayStation/Nintendo fan so i feel like there was no better person to do this but me. So i'm going to tell you all my take on what went wrong with Battle Royale. I want to make this as quick as possible so let's dive right into this

Marketing

Marketing doesn't really mean too much until there is a commercial involved at the very least.

Sony released a Battle Royale commercial in Europe which is here

In America(the most important market for a game like this), they didn't really have a commercial. The only thing they really had was the Robot Chicken collab and i'm not sure if that was supposed to be it's advertisement here for the game

and Battle Royale hasn't released in japan yet

but regardless of the Ads, this game was still going to be a slow burner because of what it was. A Hollow game!

Let me explain further

Does anybody remember what a Nestle wonderball is? If not, then this is what it looks like

Now i want you to imagine that you bought 2 WonderBalls from the store. You come home and open both of them. As you open the 1st Wonder Ball, you see that the chocolate ball is packed with candy on the inside. Now as you open the 2nd Wonder Ball, you notice that there is no candy inside of the chocolate ball which would instantly make you slightly dissapointed while shouting "WTF!"

The Chocolate = The exterior of the game and all the basics

The Candy = The Content found within the Interior of the game

basically Super Smash Bros Brawl is the Wonder Ball with candy and PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale is the Wonder Ball without candy.

Don't get me wrong, PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale is a good game but Ultimately, it just simply DIDN'T live up to what it was supposed to be. SuperBot had no excuses to NOT take advantage of their time with Battle Royale. I mean they CLEARLY had a Wii sitting right there in their studio which obviously had Smash Bros Brawl in it. So they had all the time in the world to take advantage but THEY DIDN'T!!! it is actually quite ridiculous now that i think about it. Like HOW THE FUCK did they STILL manage to drop the ball with this game?

I was 1 of the PS fans who expected this game to sell between 3-5 million BUT i speak for every other PlayStation fan when i say that i was also under the impression that SuperBot was going to fully deliver with this game when i made the prediction.

It's the little shit that counts the most to me.

now i want you to take a look at this video of Smash Bros Brawl. The uploader is playing a mini game mode he created called "Shell Arena"

now i want you to pay attention to how involved the background crowd seems to be in this match

I bet there is somebody saying "oh who gives a damn about that background crowd!". I can't explain exactly what it is about that background crowd but it really does add more to the match. The backgound crowd is of course nowhere to be found in PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale.

Arcade/Story Mode

Arcade Mode could and SHOULD have been a lot better than it was. The variety in the Smash Bros 64 arcade mode was even better than the arcade mode in PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale.

here is a video from Smash Bros 64 Arcade mode

go to around 1:34 and you will see a progress bar at the top of the screen during the "who you are going to fight next" wait screen. There isn't even a progress bar in PSASBR Arcade Mode. Look at how plain and simple the wait screen is on Smash Bros 64. It's plain as hell but yet PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale STILL has the blander wait screen SMFH

You also should have noticed the bonus stages "Break The Targets", "Board The Platforms" and "Race To The Finish". It would be OUTRAGEOUS if i told you that PSASBR's Arcade Mode has NO bonus stages like these what so ever wouldn't it? well, guess what? IT DOESN'T!

You should have ALSO noticed the Arcade mode will switch it up by challenging you with fighting Giant versions of specific opponents. You also get challenged with fighting a Team of a specific cloned character. PSASBR never switches it up like that. SuperBot could've EASILY pulled this off using elements from the PlayStation universe but THEY DIDN'T!!

The last boss in Battle Royale was a FUCKING JOKE because the bastard wasn't challenging AT ALL. like C'mon now SuperBot.. you could've atleast gave this guy like some type of power where he shoots lazer beams out of his eyes making it hard to avoid. You could've also gave him some kind of hard to avoid ice breath or something that freezes the character for a short time allowing the boss to attack the character. He could've also had an attack where he goes above the stage and starts shaking the polygon rock things off his body in hopes to hit the main character. Polygon man was supposed to be an exclusive battle between just you and him. Instead of fighting Polygon characters during the fight, you should've made The player fight the Polygon characters in the match BEFORE the Polygon man fight. It could've gave off the feeling that the player was fighting his way up to Polygon mans castle or something. Polygon man should've also had the ability to alter the stage in hopes to trap the main character since he is like the unknown powerful being who came back for some time of revenge being that he was the 1st original PS mascot. Polygon man could have been a BAD ASS boss fight but it just simply WASN'T!! His voice was too damn harmless as well. Kratos's voice is a lot more intimidating than Polygon mans but whatever with that

this is minor but when you beat the last boss in any Smash Bros you can basically play an extra mini game while the credits roll. You can't do that in PSASBR.

The only thing PSASBR's Arcade Mode really had going for it was the whole rivalry thing but of course they didn't deliver like they were supposed to with that either. They could've fleshed that out a lot better than they did. It didn't do a good job at telling why these PlayStation characters came together either.

Adventure Mode/ Subspace Emissary Mode

Here is an example of the Adventure Mode that was in Smash Bros Melee if you've never seen it

Here is an example of the Subspace Emissary mode in Smash Bros Brawl

I can remember thinking about how PSASBR's adventure mode was going to be back when it was 1st announced. You should also know exactly how i felt when the game released and i found out that there WASN'T an Adventure mode in the game AT ALL. now take a look at this early video of PSASBR when it was still known as "Title Fight"

The stuff that was shown in this video could've EASILY been used in some parts of PSASBR's Adventure mode. They decided to take that stuff out of the game for some strange reason SMGDH!

The Rest

The last main shocking thing about PSASBR was that they didn't get Crash Bandicoot and Spyro The Dragon. I was originally expecting Crash, Spyro, Cloud and Sora and a BUNCH of others to be in the game but i would've thought Crash and Spyro were the no-brainers. I was also expecting to see playable bad guys this time around like Dr. Neo Cortex, Ripto, Sephiroth, Specter, Zarok etc.

I hate how you aren't able to unlock characters OR stages in PSASBR also. There is no better feeling in a fighting game than unlocking a new character or new stage. I was expecting to see extras like the "Home Run Contest" in PSASBR but they weren't present

The dude who did this contest is a FUCKING BEAST lol

there are a couple more things but i don't feel like going any further. PSASBR is still a good game but it should've been a lot better.

Everything i complained about could've EASILY been implemented into this game with no problems except for maybe getting Crash and Spyro. Even if they would've gotten Crash and Spyro, it still wouldn't be too different because the game would still be hollow.

So what REALLY went wrong with PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale? The devs(SuperBot)just didn't deliver like they were supposed to. They had all the time in the world and clearly could've taken advantage, but they didn't. They had no excuse.

I guess this is why Sony and SuperBot seperated. They just didn't deliver..

I still hope that we see a Battle Royale on PS4 1 day that fix's everything i named. I also hope that some employees at Sony will eventually run across this thread so they can know what went wrong. Hopefully they will change its ridiculous name going forward aswell.

Does anybody agree? disagree? is there anything that i left out? Let me know in the comments below

Around the Network

PSASBR tried too hard to be what it couldn't be; SSB. And that's not necessarily a bad thing, SSB is a game that you would want to try to be, but you just can't replicate it in the same way. PSASBR was never going to sell blockbuster amounts, I don't know why anyone would think it could. (They also didn't have the most recognizable characters. Some others could've been better choices even if they weren't necessarily First Party.

It went wrong because everyone saw it as a cheap copy / ripoff of Super Smash Brothers. I don't think people really enjoy copies that much, especially when the characters involved are a mere spectre of the title their copying.

Its the same reason that a shooter like Turning Point: Fall of Liberty flopped compared to CoD.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

...........Why so many threads about this same topic? It is not that great of a game. It is mediocre. problem solved

The game wasn't fun.

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

Around the Network

To me it was just too silly, I never was into Nintendo party games or fighting games, so, there was not a point for me to buy it.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

NintendoPie said:
PSASBR tried too hard to be what it couldn't be; SSB. And that's not necessarily a bad thing, SSB is a game that you would want to try to be, but you just can't replicate it in the same way. PSASBR was never going to sell blockbuster amounts, I don't know why anyone would think it could. (They also didn't have the most recognizable characters. Some others could've been better choices even if they weren't necessarily First Party.

nah, it didn't try hard enough

It wouldn't have sold like Smash Bros even if they got everything right but it still could've been a better game

it will still atleast climb passed the million mark

NintendoPie said:

Pretty much this. Also it was a pretty medoicre game

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

enditall727 said:

nah, it didn't try hard enough

It wouldn't have sold like Smash Bros even if they got everything right but it still could've been a better game

it will still atleast climb passed the million mark

Either if it tried too hard or didn't try hard enough, it could never be what it strived to be.

RolStoppable said:
Maybe it's just me, but "straight to the point" implies a succinct post.

Bad commercials, bad roster, lack of content.

That is what i originally aimed for but my mind kept overflowing as i was typing