By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry Face Off- Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing Transformed: "we'd pin the Wii U version down as the console version to opt for"

Tagged games:

Barozi said:
ethomaz said:

pezus said:

There are no steps before playing on PC. With Steam, you don't even need to install the game. It's just download and go! On PS3 you would need to download and then install at a snail's pace

No steps?

1. Buy a PC (I will skip the part I need to buy a fantastic video card and install it)
2. Install the latest drivers and stuffs
3. Download the Steam and install it
4. Buy the retail game or the Steam version (not all games are in Steam)
5. Download and install the game (yeah when the Steam download the game it install it too)
6. Configure the game... resolution, filters, etc
7. Run de game to see if the performance is good... change the settings if necessary
8. Now I can play my game

Console steps

1. Buy the game
2. Download and install (if retail skip this part)
3. Play the game

Sorry... I hate how the games works in PC... just it... I want to just get a disc put it in the machine and play.

get Halo 2 then.
(you can play it while installing)

You can do that with WoW too!

Around the Network
ninjablade said:
WII U verion is the lowest rez version but the best version cause of features.

PS3: 1280x720
360: 1152x544
Wii U: 1024x576 is the lowest rez

Yes I think that was already established, you are way late to the Wii U bashing party on this one, shame on you!

pezus said:

Fixed. Basically, PC gives you more options. At least you can run the game to see if its performance is good and then change options so that it does run well. If the same happens on PS3, you're screwed and you bought a game that runs well and looks bad no matter what you do.

If you already have a gaming PC, then it's a safe bet that you have Steam already. That reduces the steps to about 4-5, while console steps are 4-5 too

To your last sentence: The vast minority of PS3 games are that simple to play. It's very likely that you will have to install and then download patches etc.

I just don't like... in PC you have to update the video driver at each new release for fix issues... I don't like that.

I don't like the install in PS3 too... at least there are little games with mandatory install and the patches are required just for online play... and the best I never download and install the patchs of my own... the Plus did it every day...

I like to power on my machine and play in less than 30 seconds...

I prefer retail games over downloaded one because that too... it's painful to install games over 1GB in PS3.

pezus said:
ethomaz said:

pezus said:

There are no steps before playing on PC. With Steam, you don't even need to install the game. It's just download and go! On PS3 you would need to download and then install at a snail's pace

No steps?

1. Buy a PC (I will skip the part I need to buy a fantastic video card and install it)
2. Install the latest drivers and stuffs
3. Download the Steam and install it
4. Buy the retail game or the Steam version (not all games are in Steam)
5. Download and install the game (Skip if retail. yeah when the Steam download the game it install it too - does it at the same time, no extra time needed)
6. Configure the game... resolution, filters, etc
7. Run de game to see if the performance is good... change the settings if necessary
8. Now I can play my game

Console steps

1. Buy a console 
2. Update firmware
3. Buy the game
4. Download (If retail, skip this)
5. install
6. Download patches that might have become available since it went up in the store
7. Play the game

Sorry... I hate how the games works in PC... just it... I want to just get a disc put it in the machine and play.

Fixed. Basically, PC gives you more options. At least you can run the game to see if its performance is good and then change options so that it does run well. If the same happens on PS3, you're screwed and you bought a game that runs well and looks bad no matter what you do.

If you already have a gaming PC, then it's a safe bet that you have Steam already. That reduces the steps to about 4-5, while console steps are 4-5 too

To your last sentence: The vast minority of PS3 games are that simple to play. It's very likely that you will have to install and then download patches etc. 

nownow, configuration is just an option, you don't NEED to do it, your game would just look shittier like the console version :P. I mean, consoles have options to select too, like audio, screen size, and all that jazz too hehehe.

dahuman said:

nownow, configuration is just an option, you don't NEED to do it, your game would just look shittier like the console version :P. I mean, consoles have options to select too, like audio, screen size, and all that jazz too hehehe.

You know you do that one time in the life with consoles (or when you buy a new TV)... PC you have to do that for every single game.

I can't believe you guys want to discuss that PC has the same amount of steps that a console to play games

I just turn on my consoles, put the disc and play (more than 90% of the games don't have install).

Around the Network
dahuman said:
ninjablade said:

Yes I think that was already established, you are way late to the Wii U bashing party on this one, shame on you!

lol i started to except some people are in denial, no matter what facts you show them, they will still say 2-3x more powerful.

ethomaz said:

pezus said:

I just don't like... in PC you have to update the video driver at each new release for fix issues... I don't like that.

I don't like the install in PS3 too... at least there are little games with mandatory install and the patches are required just for online play... and the best I never download and install the patchs of my own... the Plus did it every day...

I like to power on my machine and play in less than 30 seconds...

I prefer retail games over downloaded one because that too... it's painful to install games over 1GB in PS3.

Yeah you just set the updates on auto check, all you get is a pop up box then you just spam next until finish, like that shit is hard. My PC boots and starts a game in less than 30s too so I don't get that point at all. It's painful to install games over 1GB in the PS3 because it's utterly SLOW, the damn thing runs on SATA I with a fuck face filesystem, numero UNO! You think I don't have consoles or something? :P Like I said earlier, either not enough money or too lazy, my PC is not even top of the line and it has a 5+~TFLOPS rating with RAID-0 SSDs that goes 900-1000MB/s read and 500MB~/s write, 8th gen consoles are jokes comapred to current PCs.

ninjablade said:
dahuman said:
ninjablade said:

lol i started to except some people are in denial, no matter what facts you show them, they will still say 2-3x more powerful.

at this point I don't think the raw power aspect is 2-3x anymore, but we know too little, once the devs know how the hardware works, then we'll get an actual idea on a performance level when the coding matches the console, right now nobody can really figure that stupid thing out.

ninjablade said:
dahuman said:
ninjablade said:

Does this have anything to do with the article or the discussion? One of your weaker attempts...

@topic: Nice to know that all of the old controllers are still supported, will save me quite some money for the 5-player splitscreen. Disappointed in 20fps splitscreen mode on all consoles though, IMO in a racing game fps>detail, especially in splitscreen.

ethomaz said:

dahuman said:

You know you do that one time in the life with consoles (or when you buy a new TV)... PC you have to do that for every single game.

I can't believe you guys want to discuss that PC has the same amount of steps that a console to play games

I just turn on my consoles, put the disc and play (more than 90% of the games don't have install).

I don't know what you are talking about, the first thing I do after I boot up any game on a console is go into the options and check for audio and subtitles and blah blah, I do that for every single game. You can also count that install time as you running to a shop to get the game then come back or worse yet, wait for the mail for a few days. Also, did you know that you can pre-load your pre-orders on steam days before release so there is not even a waiting time? Apparently not I guess.