By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Did Microsoft's Acquisition of SEGA Fall Through?

Tagged games:

J_Allard said:
Man. The creative minds and innovation of Sega backed by Windows str8 cash would have created the greatest force in gaming we have ever seen.

Just like Rare?

Around the Network

Nintendo was never in financial trouble.

Mr Khan said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mr Khan said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
brendude13 said:

So...

...SONY didn't kill Sega! Microsoft did!

No one killed Sega but themselves. Microsoft would only be buying a shell of a company. It's not like Rare when as soon as Microsoft purchased the company everyone of value just left.

Not true. From a financial perspective, Sega of 2001/2002 was shot, but they were still a very, very good development studio, and they retained their people for a while

The financial distress (and the fact that Sammy seems to hate them) has slowly starved out Sega of people and development capability ever since, but buying them in 2002 would've netted you a development/publishing powerhouse

I agree, but sega had been in distress since the late mid-late 90's based on decisions they made, which caused them to tank as a platform company after the Dreamcast. Thats almost two decades of issues. I don't really see where we're disagreeing here.

My bad, i thought by "shell of a company" you meant that Sega's development talent had already gone.

I was focused on Segas sales potential. Microsoft is looking for games that can exclusively sell over 3 million copies or more exclusive to their platform. When I say a "shell of a company" in reference to Rare I was talking about the Stamper Bros taking the money and running, and their star staff moving onto Radical Games which, course is now owned by Crytek. Look at Liohead, that company is now a shell of its former self because Molyneux left and his star staff formed their own company.

Soleron said:
Nintendo was never in financial trouble.

When you are talking Microsoft money, every company is in financial trouble.

No wonder, Halo is one of the biggest Sonic ripoffs I've ever seen. What a shame.

The "Halos" are rings, or loop-dee-loops, both of which are found in Sonic.

Around the Network

Wow, it would be amazing if that had happened...
MS buys Sega in 1997. Dreamcast turns out to be a more powerful, DVD playing, Online beast. They don't worry about 9/9/99, they focus on power, and making sure that it is ready to roll. Drop it in March 2000. Still beats the PS2 out in stores, and has titles from SEGA and new IP's from MS... I think that would have been a monster.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

I was focused on Segas sales potential. Microsoft is looking for games that can exclusively sell over 3 million copies or more exclusive to their platform. When I say a "shell of a company" in reference to Rare I was talking about the Stamper Bros taking the money and running, and their star staff moving onto Radical Games which, course is now owned by Crytek. Look at Liohead, that company is now a shell of its former self because Molyneux left and his star staff formed their own company.

There are some major IPs that Microsoft could have used back then that would have helped them a lot. Keep in mind that Microsoft pretty much only had Halo and PGR at the time.

Japan would be all over Virtua Fighter 4 and Shenmue 3. 2K sports series was kicking EA's offerings ass back then, they just needed funding. Sonic games sold really well for sega as a mediocre titles.

Sega had other games in develpment that were potential hits in the making could have used more dev dollars and a marketing push, like Headhunter(cover based stealth shooter).

Moving forward to this gen, Xbox live could be home to many classic sega remakes like Vectorman, Streets Of Rage, Ecco the dolphin, nights...etc.

I agree that it would be risky for Microsoft as talent may have left Sega, but that happen to Sega no mater what. So this alternate reality may have actually worked.

I love how it repeats the same-thing three times in this article.

disolitude said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

There are some major IPs that Microsoft could have used back then that would have helped them a lot. Keep in mind that Microsoft pretty much only had Halo and PGR at the time.

Japan would be all over Virtua Fighter 4 and Shenmue 3. 2K sports series was kicking EA's offerings ass back then, they just needed funding. Sonic games sold really well for sega as a mediocre titles.

Sega had other games in develpment that were potential hits in the making could have used more dev dollars and a marketing push, like Headhunter(cover based stealth shooter).

Moving forward to this gen, Xbox live could be home to many classic sega remakes like Vectorman, Streets Of Rage, Ecco the dolphin, nights...etc.

I agree that it would be risky for Microsoft as talent may have left Sega, but that happen to Sega no mater what. So this alternate reality may have actually worked.

I see your point, but on the other hand you now Microsoft's issue with sales potential.

NobleTeam360 said:
I love how it repeats the same-thing three times in this article.

That was my first reaction too