By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is MicroSoft to blame for Rayman's delay??

(I've bolded the important part)

Microsoft’s simultaneous release policy may explain Rayman Legends’ delay

We’re admittedly yet to recover from the realisation that we won’t be playing Michel Ancel’s Next Big Thing, Rayman Legends, at the end of the month.

It seemed so strange for Ubisoft to delay what was a big Wii U exclusive until September, especially when said game is confirmed to have been finished and practically ready to ship on Wii U.

We questioned Ubisoft’s decision to do this, stating it’d have been much more palatable for everyone (and Ubisoft’s sales figures of the game) to release the Wii U version in late February/early March as planned, with other versions arriving later.

But perhaps the delay that arrived with Ubisoft’s decision to bring Legends to Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 was not something entirely under Ubisoft’s control.

As revealed a few years back by Eurogamer, Microsoft reserve the right to demand publishers release multiplatform software simultaneously with Xbox 360 releases, even (and worryingly) stipulating content parity.

It may not be too surprising, then, if Microsoft pushed for Ubisoft to do just this with Rayman Legends, especially as its (likely) original intended release as a timed exclusive benefits Wii U.

So that’s one possible reason, and while this may not be the true reason for Rayman Legends’ Wii U delay it certainly rings loud as possible.

http://www.nintendo-nation.net/microsoft-policy-rayman-legends-delay/

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network

Probably true.

Has there ever been a game thsts been late to the 360?

Wouldn't Ubisoft just say it was because of Microsofts policy instead of taking the heat for it themselves. Unless Microsofts policy says that publishers cant state their policy as being the reason a multiplat released game is delayed

Carl2291 said:
Probably true.

None that I'm aware of.

No, Ubisoft is.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
Probably true.

Joe Danger,Minecraft if you count PC,should be some more

Actually this "policy" not mandatory,MS can ignore it if there is big game wanna release later on 360

And i don't think UBI afarid them

Yes, I remember reading that. Just another example of why I buy Sony products.

Sounds plausible, but TBH everyone's to blame. We are for demanding the game on all systems, and Ubisoft are for listening.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

D-Joe said:
Carl2291 said:
Probably true.

Joe Danger,Minecraft if you count PC,should be some more

Actually this "policy" not mandatory,MS can ignore it if there is big game wanna release later on 360

And i don't think UBI afarid them

So... No retail games? Makes you wonder if that really is true.

Microsoft is pretty smart when it comes to this stuff. I wouldn't say they're to blame though. Why would you want to give your competition first dibs on a game? Though, its not like Rayman is gonna significantly benefit 360 this late in its life...

Ubisoft could've just not made a 360 version at all. I say Ubisoft is to blame for not realizing this policy would delay the game sooner.