By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The PS4 will follow a similar sales trend to the PS3

Tagged games:

SaviorX said:
When you see that there is a touchscreen in the controller, your tune will change....

I already meantioned their ability to capture more of the casual crowd, and I also mentioned that there was competition from the other 2 in that market, and that it isn't historically Sony's playing field in terms of appeal.

Around the Network

Looking back I wonder what Sony thought when decided to use "teh cell".

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

The PS4 won't have to wait for cell or bluray prices to settle out, which is good. The business strategy behind the PS3 was borderline suicidal for many years.

I doubt it. I think the lower price point, a price match with Xbox 720 and platform parity between games like next-gen Madden, COD and FIFA will have it selling much better than PS3. Now I'm not expecting the PS4 to blow up the chartz, but I'm not expecting Wii U level sales either.

ps3-sales! said:
Looking back I wonder what Sony thought when decided to use "teh cell".

Look at what their devs accomplished with games like Uncharted, God of War and Killzone. Now imagine if all PS3 games were at the same level of quality.
They expected PS3 to be the lead/dominate platform. Unfortunately, competetion from Microsoft was too tough and Nintendo got really lucky with the Wii. It was an attack on both of the Playstation's markets. Casual and Hardcore. Looking back, its amazing how well the PS3 has sold and how well it has been supported despite all the mistakes Sony made.

You're welcome Sony!

Around the Network
Jay520 said:
JWeinCom said:

No, I'm not saying that people will be satisfied with a tablet for gaming.  I'm saying that the desire for a tablet will outweigh the desire for a new gaming console.  Basically, Timmy has to make his birthday wish list.  Does he want an X-Box 720, or an iPad mini?  However you want to slice it, funds for everyone are limited and if someone spends 400 dollars on an ipad, they're less likely to spend that on a new console.  For example, I bought a PS3 earlier this year (my old one died).  But as I used it, I realized I needed a new phone (broke) and I could use a new computer.  I returned the PS3.  It's not that I thought the phone and/or computer would be better for gaming, it's just that my funds were limited.  I had to make a choice.  

I'm not sure what you mean by countering the existence of tablets.  Not trying to be an ass but I'm assuming that was a typo and I don't get what it was supposed to mean.

Last year actually had quite a few more big games.  Uncharted 3, Infamous 2, Saints Row 3, Skyward Sword, Skylanders (which at the time was exciting and new), Battlefield 3, Arkham City, Skyrim.  Tons of stuff.  Plus, the Wii was still alive with Mario and Sonic and Mario Sports Mix performing well, and the novelty of the Kinect hadn't entirely worn off yet.

I don't expect the 360 and PS3 to see a revival, I'm just expecting a continual slump for the industry, aside from the Wii U if Nintendo provides software.  The key is this; why will the X-Box 720 and PS4 revive the market?

That's the point I seem to be losing you on.  The 720 and PS4 can have great success, but only if they provide new and exciting experiences.  You're approaching this from the point of a hardcore gamer who NEEDS to have the newest and shiniest toy on day one.  I bought the Wii U on day one because it was new, it said Nintendo, and it played games.  But most people aren't like that.  Most people don't have that NEED for something new to play.  Yes, gamers are bored with the games they're getting now, but that does not mean they're going to rush out and buy the next new console.  Being new is not enough.  Wii fans didn't rush out to buy the Wii U because it was new, nor did PSP fans rush out to buy the Vita because it was new, nor did DS fans rush out to buy the 3DS because it was new.

New is not enough.  So, the question is this.  What are the 720 and PS4 going to do that's going to make the 360 and PS3 irrelevant?  What games are those systems going to have that's going to make people say "I'm going to take this 400-500 and use it to buy a PS4 instead of just playing the next COD on my PS4"?  I don't think that the PS4 and 720 are going to do anything special enough to reenergize the industry, at least not for a year or two.

There is no data that supports the argument of tablets harming console gaming. I can’t think of a single moment in history where one product harmed another product even though it didn’t adequately perform the same functions as the older product. Can you provide any examples of this? If you cannot, then your prediction can only be considered a hunch and nothing more.

You said tablets would harm console gaming because people would spend money on tablets and wouldn’t have money for consoles. Your logic is based on the fact that spending money on one product would prevent the purchase of another product. Using your same logic, I can say that the lack of money spent on a Nintendo products this generation will result in more purchases for something else.

Last generation, a large portion of consumers spent money on consoles, wii-motes, accessories, and of course games, lots of games. But this generation will see much fewer consumers spending money on those Nintendo products (or at least that’s what the trends suggests). This should result in more money for consumers, thus increasing PS4’s sales. My example should be more applicable since Nintendo consoles are in much more direct competition with the Ps3 and PS4 than tablets. And if this doesn't directly improve PS4 sales, it should at least negate the additional money spent on tablets, rendering their impact on the PS4 to virtually zero.

It is true that 2011 was big. But you must remember 2011 was an exception and not the rule. There usually aren’t that many big games released a year. Look at years 2008-2010 for the PS3 & 360 and suddenly 2012 would look pretty good by comparison. For the sake of discussion, I’ll concede that 2012 had a very weak library. If that’s true, and 2012 experienced an uncharacteristic drop in big games, then that’s a sign that developers and publishers are anticipating a big transition into next generation and will devote a fair amount of resources into it; which does not support your point.

My argument to you is not that the PS4 will not have a slow start. I’m disagreeing with your reasons explaining why it will have a slow start. You are making the argument that the PS3 & 360 are going to contribute to low sales of the PS4, which can only happen if the PS360 remain relevant. This doesn’t appear that it’s going to happen looking at the massive drops in sales and general interest. Because all trends are pointing to the PS360 reaching irrelevancy, you must be expecting some kind of revival if you expect them to remain relevant enough to harm the PS4.

Again, I am NOT arguing (at least to you) that the PS4 will not have a slow start. I am arguing against your reasons for believing that they will. Your tablet reasoning is unsubstantiated because we have no data of products harming other products even though they perform vastly different functions. And your argument that the PS3 & 360 will harm the PS4 is also flawed imo because their relevancy is dwindling on zero.

What exactly do you mean by adequetely?  Take cameras for example.  Some will say that they adqeutely are replaced by cell phone cameras, although I'm sure that a hardcore photographer would differ in that opinion.

You're asking for a casual relationship, which obviously can't be provided.  But, the gaming industry last year is an example of other products hurting the gaming industry.  The gaming industry was down massively, which you keep pointing out, with both hardware and software going downhill.  This clearly means that fewer people found X-Boxs, PS3s, or Wiis under their trees.  So, did people just stop buying gifts?  DId they just keep their money in the bank?  Probably not.  They probably just spend all of that money on other products that they deemed were more worthy of those holiday dollars.  And while the gaming industy has been slumping, hotcakes have been flying off the shelves like hotcakes.  It's obviously correlation and not causation, but I think it's a pretty reasonable guess that many people are choosing to spend money on tablets instead of gaming stuff.  This does not mean that tablets are killing gaming or anything like that.  This means that at the present time, tablets present a better value to consumers than game consoles.  That situation could definitely change if game consoles provide something interesting and new, but until that happens, people will be spending their money on other things. 

Of course you can call it a hunch if you want, but the only way I can actually prove that one unrelated product harmed another would be if I actually interviewed each person who purchased an iPad about what went into that decision.  I don't have that kind of market research available, so either you agree or don't disagree.   It's one of those things that can't really be proven.

2010 saw the Kinect and Move both release (to differing levels of success), Bioshock 2, Mass Effect 2, Dead Rising 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Halo Reach, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Pokemon Black and White, and Wii Party.    The big thing here is the Wii titles.  DKCR and Super Mario Galaxy were both heavy sellers, and so was Wii Party.  Kirby's Epic Yarn wasn't that big, but I love it so I put it there.  Combine the Wii's life with the Kinect and that was a bigger year.  I don't feel like going back to 2009 right now. The weak year could mean that developers are prepping things for the PS4 and 720, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  GTA V is coming out for PS3/360.  As of now, Watchdogs is supposedly a PS3/360 title.  Bioshock Infinite is going to come out for the X-Box 360 and PS3. Battlefield 4 should be a current gen thing (since the Beta will be).  Even Sony and Microsoft are releasing a lot of content for the PS3 and PS4 with Gears of War, God of War, Last of Us, and Beyond.   A slow year is not necessarily an indication of prep for new hardware.  Sometimes the stars just align that way.  In fact, I'd say the strength and amount of software coming out for the 360 and PS3 supports my point that developers are not ready to dive into the next gen.

The Wii U/PS4 hypothetical you provided again assumes that the PS4 has something compelling about it to make it worth buying.  If the Wii U continues to struggle, and the PS4 does well, then it is logical that the PS4 will see some of that sweet sweet Wii money, but that again assumes the PS4 doesn't suck.

My main argument is not about tablets.  I think that's a factor, but not the main one.  The crux of my argument is that PS4 and 720 are not going to be compelling in their early days.  Part of this is because I don't think the graphical leap is going to be as big as that between the PS2 and PS3 especially when we consider that there is no jump from SD to HD. Furthermore, I think developers are going to make their software multiplat with the 360 and 720, and that will further hold back the software.   The online interface won't be a huge leap either, so I don't see the big selling point for the next generation of consoles.

I'm NOT predicting a massive sales spike for PS3 and 360 hardware.  What I'm predicting is that people are going to simply keep what they have and not feel the need to upgrade until Sony and/or Microsoft and/or Nintendo and/or maybe even Valve shows something truly revolutionary. 

I wouldn't say that just yet. Assuming the system will release around the same time as the competition (instead of a year after), will be much easier to program for, will have a decent price point, and will have AAA Sony exclusives early in the game it could bode well for the system. Signs point to those things happening, but who knows. It's best we wait and see. If Sony manages to get its marketing up that would be a step in the right direction (they're already making moves towards that, so let's see).

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

JWeinCom said:

What exactly do you mean by adequetely?  Take cameras for example.  Some will say that they adqeutely are replaced by cell phone cameras, although I'm sure that a hardcore photographer would differ in that opinion.

You're asking for a casual relationship, which obviously can't be provided.  But, the gaming industry last year is an example of other products hurting the gaming industry.  The gaming industry was down massively, which you keep pointing out, with both hardware and software going downhill.  This clearly means that fewer people found X-Boxs, PS3s, or Wiis under their trees.  So, did people just stop buying gifts?  DId they just keep their money in the bank?  Probably not.  They probably just spend all of that money on other products that they deemed were more worthy of those holiday dollars.  And while the gaming industy has been slumping, hotcakes have been flying off the shelves like hotcakes. LOL  It's obviously correlation and not causation, but I think it's a pretty reasonable guess that many people are choosing to spend money on tablets instead of gaming stuff.  This does not mean that tablets are killing gaming or anything like that.  This means that at the present time, tablets present a better value to consumers than game consoles.  That situation could definitely change if game consoles provide something interesting and new, but until that happens, people will be spending their money on other things. 

2010 saw the Kinect and Move both release (to differing levels of success), Bioshock 2, Mass Effect 2, Dead Rising 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Halo Reach, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Pokemon Black and White, and Wii Party.    The big thing here is the Wii titles.  DKCR and Super Mario Galaxy were both heavy sellers, and so was Wii Party.  Kirby's Epic Yarn wasn't that big, but I love it so I put it there.  Combine the Wii's life with the Kinect and that was a bigger year.  I don't feel like going back to 2009 right now.

The weak year could mean that developers are prepping things for the PS4 and 720, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  GTA V is coming out for PS3/360.  As of now, Watchdogs is supposedly a PS3/360 title.  Bioshock Infinite is going to come out for the X-Box 360 and PS3. Battlefield 4 should be a current gen thing (since the Beta will be).  Even Sony and Microsoft are releasing a lot of content for the PS3 and PS4 with Gears of War, God of War, Last of Us, and Beyond.   A slow year is not necessarily an indication of prep for new hardware.  Sometimes the stars just align that way.  In fact, I'd say the strength and amount of software coming out for the 360 and PS3 supports my point that developers are not ready to dive into the next gen.

The Wii U/PS4 hypothetical you provided again assumes that the PS4 has something compelling about it to make it worth buying.  If the Wii U continues to struggle, and the PS4 does well, then it is logical that the PS4 will see some of that sweet sweet Wii money, but that again assumes the PS4 doesn't suck.

My main argument is not about tablets.  I think that's a factor, but not the main one.  The crux of my argument is that PS4 and 720 are not going to be compelling in their early days.  Part of this is because I don't think the graphical leap is going to be as big as that between the PS2 and PS3 especially when we consider that there is no jump from SD to HD. Furthermore, I think developers are going to make their software multiplat with the 360 and 720, and that will further hold back the software.   The online interface won't be a huge leap either, so I don't see the big selling point for the next generation of consoles.

I'm NOT predicting a massive sales spike for PS3 and 360 hardware.  What I'm predicting is that people are going to simply keep what they have and not feel the need to upgrade until Sony and/or Microsoft and/or Nintendo and/or maybe even Valve shows something truly revolutionary. 

By adequately, I mean being able to provide the same or sufficient experience as the previous product. A typical modern cell phone can adequately replace a camera for most people who take pictures. Can the same be said for tablets and gaming? No, especially not anywhere similar to that of a cell phone and a camera.

Consoles sales drop like this at the end of every generation. And sure, people will obviously spend that money on other things. But we shouldn't assume that those other things are the causing the drop in sales. If anything, it would be the other way around. The reason I'm asking for evidence that this stuff happens is you're claiming that it'll happen. Looking through history, it's highly improbable that products offering such unique experiences would cut into each other's sales much.

We are talking about the big games of 2012 and it's relation to earlier years for the PS3 & 360 only, in order to explain why they are slumping right now. So Wii games don't really matter. Looking only at the PS360 titles, you'll see that it wasn't much better in 2010 as in 2012, and earlier years were arguably worse than 2012.

Big games for the PS360 have been increasing steadily since the start of the generation and seems to have peaked in 2011. Why the sudden drop off during 2012? To cough it up as mere coincidence when the next gen is right around the corner is a huge stretch. And for the games you listed, those are only some of the games to be released in the next few years. We don't know how they compare to the number of next gen games, since...well, the next gen games of course aren't going to be announced until the next gen consoles have been announced. 

For Sony specifically, I think their absence during 2012 and the mystery of their second half of 2013 is more than enough reason to believe they are heavily prepping for next gen. Developers like Guerrilla Games, Sucker Punch, and Naughty Dog (Uncharted team) usually release a game every 2 years with the games being announced in the year before their release. But its February and we still know nothing of their plans. Either they will release some surprise games for the PS3 this year (which wouldn't make sense), or they are keeping silent because they are waiting for the announcement of the PS4.

But you are expecting the PS360 to be relevant enough to harm the PS4? That's still going to require some sort of massive change considering how hard they are dropping now. Looking at software sales, time spent playing the PS360 appears to be dropping rapidly. This could be the result of the entire industry slumping, which would harm the PS4 too, but that would be a different story. As for many people continuing to play the PS360 after the PS4's release, it doesn't seem likely.

As for the crux of your argument, the PS4 may not be compelling in its early days. This isn't something I can argue against as I have no idea what Sony is prepping nor do I know exactly what's "enough" graphics for consumers. Well just have to wait and see what the PS4 offers and how the market reacts. Though if I had to assume, I would say the PS4 would be in a better position than the PS4 at launch due to having a stronger first party team, superior marketing, launching on time with the Xbox, and it won't have to compete with a beast like the Wii (unless the Nextbox takes off). Other things like price and architecture should also lean in the PS4's favor, though Sony could always make the same mistake twice. Will all of this be enough for the PS4 to have a great start? I don't know, but at the moment, I think it looks much more attractive than the PS3 at launch.

Is it goot to pick up sales late in the game, when it doesn't matter?  The next Playstation system needs to do even better.

Jay520 said:

By adequately, I mean being able to provide the same or sufficient experience as the previous product. A typical modern cell phone can adequately replace a camera for most people who take pictures. Can the same be said for tablets and gaming? No, especially not anywhere similar to that of a cell phone and a camera.

Consoles sales drop like this at the end of every generation. And sure, people will obviously spend that money on other things. But we shouldn't assume that those other things are the causing the drop in sales. If anything, it would be the other way around. The reason I'm asking for evidence that this stuff happens is you're claiming that it'll happen. Looking through history, it's highly improbable that products offering such unique experiences would cut into each other's sales much.

We are talking about the big games of 2012 and it's relation to earlier years for the PS3 & 360 only, in order to explain why they are slumping right now. So Wii games don't really matter. Looking only at the PS360 titles, you'll see that it wasn't much better in 2010 as in 2012, and earlier years were arguably worse than 2012.

Big games for the PS360 have been increasing steadily since the start of the generation and seems to have peaked in 2011. Why the sudden drop off during 2012? To cough it up as mere coincidence when the next gen is right around the corner is a huge stretch. And for the games you listed, those are only some of the games to be released in the next few years. We don't know how they compare to the number of next gen games, since...well, the next gen games of course aren't going to be announced until the next gen consoles have been announced. 

For Sony specifically, I think their absence during 2012 and the mystery of their second half of 2013 is more than enough reason to believe they are heavily prepping for next gen. Developers like Guerrilla Games, Sucker Punch, and Naughty Dog (Uncharted team) usually release a game every 2 years with the games being announced in the year before their release. But its February and we still know nothing of their plans. Either they will release some surprise games for the PS3 this year (which wouldn't make sense), or they are keeping silent because they are waiting for the announcement of the PS4.

But you are expecting the PS360 to be relevant enough to harm the PS4? That's still going to require some sort of massive change considering how hard they are dropping now. Looking at software sales, time spent playing the PS360 appears to be dropping rapidly. This could be the result of the entire industry slumping, which would harm the PS4 too, but that would be a different story. As for many people continuing to play the PS360 after the PS4's release, it doesn't seem likely.

As for the crux of your argument, the PS4 may not be compelling in its early days. This isn't something I can argue against as I have no idea what Sony is prepping nor do I know exactly what's "enough" graphics for consumers. Well just have to wait and see what the PS4 offers and how the market reacts. Though if I had to assume, I would say the PS4 would be in a better position than the PS4 at launch due to having a stronger first party team, superior marketing, launching on time with the Xbox, and it won't have to compete with a beast like the Wii (unless the Nextbox takes off). Other things like price and architecture should also lean in the PS4's favor, though Sony could always make the same mistake twice. Will all of this be enough for the PS4 to have a great start? I don't know, but at the moment, I think it looks much more attractive than the PS3 at launch.

Console sales drop at the end of each generation.  People get bored with the experiences that are being offered.  It's hard for the 5th Assassin's Creed to generate the same hype as the first.  This also ties into hardware.  If people didn't buy a system for the first 7 COD games they're likely not going to buy it for the 8th.  That much is true.  But, that doesn't mean that the industry will perk right up when new hardware arrives.

As for tablets, they make the consoles a harder sell, and let's not forget cell phones.  People have budgets, and I think that if a person is spending 400 dollars a year on the newest iPad and 200 every other year on a new phone, that's going to limit their discretionary tech money.  It's not a 1:1 kind of thing but it's definitely a factor.   Not the main factor or even close, but it has an impact.

The idea that 2011 was slow beause of next gen doesn't seem to jive with the fact that a lot of big games are coming out in 2012.  Why would they intentionally hold on in 2011 and then go all in in 2012?  Based on only confirmed titles for the X-Box 360 and PS3, we're already seeing a stronger lineup than 2011.  As for Sony, again it doesn't make sense that they're having an intentionally weak 2011 just to release a bunch of major games in 2012.  If they were pulling a Nintendo and cutting off support, you wouldn't expect two huge titles in 2012.  I think that the best explanation to this is that either a) Last of Us or God of War was intented as a holiday or delayed.  Or b) Sony grossly overestimated the appeal of LBP Karting, PSASBR, Wonderbook, and Sports Champions 2.  This may seem like a big mistake for a company like this, but these are the guys who actually thought the Move would work...

Obviously though, Sony will have something for the PS4.  The bigger question is what will third parties have for the PS4?  Sony putting their full muscle behind the system's launch won't be enough without third parties pulling their weight as well, especially cause Sony's franchises aren't the most powerul out there.  I don't see strong third party support at first.  What motivation does a third party have to leave behind a 140 mil install base for a 0 install base?

The PS4 at launch will only look as enticing as its software lineup or features set, and I don't see that being exceptional.  The bottom line is that I don't think Sony will be able to convince gamers that they need a new console.  I don't see what system selling feature or software they'll have.