By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony hires Google Chrome marketing agency, headed by creator of Halo 3 Believe + Gears 2 Rendezvous campaigns

axumblade said:

I honestly don't even remember seeing any LBPK or Wonderbook commercials on TV. All I saw was the really bad live action PABR commercial and the person on a subway playing Assassin's Creed Liberation on the Vita. There have been a few gameplay commercials...but only for games that had exclusive PS3 marketing and not actual first party offerings.

UK was bombarded with adverts this Christmas.  So props to Sony for at least stepping up their game for once.  Problem was they just weren't very good, and it was the same two adverts on rotation over and over and over. Kowenicki says that PSABR ad was on all the time  here.  I didn't see it, but I do know which one you mean - and yeah, it really did nothing.  The Robot Chicken one was a lot better because at least it had a sense of humour.

Around the Network

Thats a winner

Take notes Nintendo.

Marketing -- if yours sucks, CHANGE IT.

BaldrSkies said:
This should be a cue to Nintendo to step up their marketing campaigns this year as well!

Some of them are good. Some are just plain bad.

I agree overall, they need to be more proactive.

irstupid said:
sales2099 said:
"Sony refused to comment about why it decided to make a change in marketing its PlayStation products at this time"

I think we all know the answer to this statement.

But good that Sony are finally getting serious about this.

The marketing company is not to blame for lack of advertising.

Sony should be telling them which games to advertise and giving them "x" amount of dollars to do so.  If Sony doesn't tell them to advertise a game or give them petty change, the fault is on Sony.  

Microsoft spent how much on Halo advertising.  Disney spent how much on John Carter, ect.  What did sony spend on some game you think didn't get any adverts?  Sony is the financial backing.  No advertising company can produce anything without money from the company paying them to do it, or telling them "WHAT" they want advertised.

It's about more than money. You can throw as much money at these ads as you want, if you they suck, they suck.
They need creative people making good/cool/funny ads. 

All that is needed is a good writer to write a good script for a 30-second ad. You don't need high-end CGI or Usher in your ads for them to be good and/or make an impact.

Around the Network
VGKing said:
Hopefully this new ad agency gets to prove their skillz with some good The Last of Us commericials. Hopefully nothing live action. Those are always horrible.

You're nuts.  The Michael ad was great.  As was the GOW From Ashes ad (not sure if Deutsch was responsible for this one).  Too bad it didn't actually air on CBS during the Superbowl.

@ OP

I think Sony's problem hasn't been the quality of the recent ads, but more the quantity.  They only choose to push a few games.  And the ads they do make don't seem to get enough play on TV.  Hopefully, this will change with the new ad agency.

irstupid said:
outlawauron said:
I don't think the quality of ads were that bad, but the amount and timing was always 'wtf' inducing.

Which is what I'm saying.  Timing and/or no advertising is solely on Sony's shoulders.

Well timing might not be.  The advertising company maybe did have a deadline that they missed.  

Otherwise it don't matter who your advertising agency is.  If Sony doesn't give them money to advertise, for example, The Last of US, then you can't blame the agency.  

Now obviously different advertisement may make a game sell better or worse, but as I said most of the complaints in regards to Sony adverts is their non-existance over their poor quality.  You can't blame an ad company for an ad that doesn't exist.

I do feel that timing is also on the ad company. Sony is likely contracting them to do different things, and they should have spread out there funds more if they're unable to do much outside of TV ads for big games. Do what small companies do, if you must, to get the word out on your game.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Thank god for that. How often have I watched Sony pathetic ads and marketing and groaned.

Should have come to my company, though.

thismeintiel said:
VGKing said:
Hopefully this new ad agency gets to prove their skillz with some good The Last of Us commericials. Hopefully nothing live action. Those are always horrible.

You're nuts.  The Michael ad was great.  As was the GOW From Ashes ad (not sure if Deutsch was responsible for this one).  Too bad it didn't actually air on CBS during the Superbowl.

@ OP

I think Sony's problem hasn't been the quality of the recent ads, but more the quantity.  They only choose to push a few games.  And the ads they do make don't seem to get enough play on TV.  Hopefully, this will change with the new ad agency.

The first Michael ad was ok. The second one was horrible. Both had cheap CGI.

The new GOW commerical is OK but nothing special.

VGKing said:
thismeintiel said:
VGKing said:

@ OP

The first Michael ad was ok. The second one was horrible. Both had cheap CGI.

The new GOW commerical is OK but nothing special.

We'll have to agree to disagree, cause I think the GOW one is TEHcredible.