By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global UP! 26th January 2013

I personally think WiiU sales will pick up soon, give it some time its only been out a couple of months.
As i have said in the past, you cant get a true reflection on sales until the new gen has properly kicked in. By then WiiU will have better games and be the cheapest next gen console on the market.

Around the Network
JGarret said:
Finally!

Those Wii U numbers for Europe :(

looks more like Meh U numbers

fmjasinski said:
thismeintiel said:

@ fmjasinski

I think the PS3 dropping to $199 or lower this year, along with the many AAA games releasing for it, should keep it north of 8M.  Can't say the same about the 360, and not too sure about the Wii U.

I agree with you, PS3 has really massive games coming and a price cut, but, in the other hand, I think PS4 can steal a lot of it's thunder. 

Somewhat, I suppose.  However, I don't think the PS4 is going to be BC, so you would have to have a PS3 to play any of its games.  That, and a $199 PS3 ($149 on Black Friday) is going to look more appealing than a $399-$449 system to the more casual of gamers, as well as parents of smaller children.

@ Barozi

Thanks much for the exact numbers.

Calm down, people. I'm sure Nintendo has something up there sleeve... *Whispers* They do, right?

crissindahouse said:
i wonder what ni no kuni will do next week in europe. could be really good sales for this game compared to japan sales.

well in my local game store ni no kuni was sold out. So I have to wait :(

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
360 year 8 of availability (2012) first 4 weeks - 796k

PS3 year 8 of availability (2013) first 4 weeks - 654k

Tracking 18% below 360 equivalent year.

The 360 had Halo, and the PS3 has the PS4, WiiU's second Xmas and Nextbox to compete with. Will end up way more than 20% below 360 equivalent year for sure.

360 ended the year on 9.8 million last year so I think PS3 can't do more than 7.5m imo, that will be down 33%.

PS3 will do over 11 million this year...

its sad to see WiiU so low, i didnt have my hopes up when i first unboxed it, but its turned out to be a fantastic machine i cant recomend one enough its pretty good

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

@Kow

No way PS3 goes as low as 7.5. You are severely understimating how games like God of War, The Last of Us and even Grand Theft Auto will have on its sales.

Yes sales right now are severely down YOY but I don't expect it to stay that way for long. I expect price cuts and promotions to happen near the end of the year.

sales2099 said:
platformmaster918 said:
sales2099 said:
CGI-Quality said:
sales2099 said:
CGI-Quality said:
sales2099 said:
The 30k gap keeps up then 360 will have no problem holding 2nd til November.

Which is irrelevant for a two reasons:

A. The gap won't remain that low (God of War: Ascension and The Last Of Us weeks should see spikes)

B. Even if the PS3 doesn't pass the 360 till next year, it's pretty much a certainty, regardless. 

OT: I'm pretty happy for Ni No Kuni, though I'm not surprised. I know a lot of people that bought it and the buzz surrounding it has been pretty strong.

It is a certainty, but 360 fans such as myself see holding out for the "relevant" parts of the gen and not the aftermath sales important.

It's always relevant. That's like saying PS2's sales after November 11, 2006 were irrelevant. Unlike personal feelings, business doesn't work like that. 

They were irrelevant as Gamecube and Xbox were done. But more importantly the gamers focused on the newer machines as only casuals got the PS2 from that point onward.

You can disagree, but as this has been said numerous times, winning while the 3 consoles are "in the spotlight" is important. To pass afterwards just means you weren't good enough to pass it within the window of the devices being most current.

or it means your console has more lasting value.  That's like saying Avengers was more successful than Avatar because it had a bigger opening week.  That was its time in the spotlight but Avatar ended up selling more.  In the future people will remember the final sales just like they remember that PS2 sold 160 million, not the 100 million it sold when the other systems finished in its gen.

It is just nice knowing 360 held its own while it was the current offering. Shows its gen over gen improvement. I see no reason to shit on that reasoning if you know PS3 will edge it out eventually.

360 did incredibly well this generation.  Much better than anyone could have predicted (at least before Sony announced the price) so congrats to them, but acting like legacy sales aren't remembered or don't matter is absurd.  We still see DS and PSP sales on the front page and they've been legacy systems for a year (PSP) and a year and 3/4 (DS).  I'll give 360 all the credit in the world I mean it over tripled its user base.  I believe it relied on a lot of mistakes by its main competitor to get those sales and did it in some dirty ways, but I still give it credit.  I wait until all systems are discontinued to declare a winner, especially this gen when things are sooo close we could potentially have the traditional 3rd place console win it all before its said and done (obviously not profit wise but install base wise).

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

kowenicki said:

Ok, if you say so.  so you actually beliebve it will be flat YOY.  Incredible.

Why? how?

What is going to reverse the trend of being down 40% to 50% per week?  In other words what is going to double sales for a sustained period?

Not flat... PS3 sold over 12 million last year... so 10-15% down.