By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global UP! 26th January 2013

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
the front page has some crazy adjustments. i would think 360's adjustments are do to its Q3 results.

anybody have any idea?

No adjustment this week... in hardware.

Around the Network

All numbers are bad, even the 3DS.

2008 week for comparison:
DS 326,286 (-10%) 65,571,618
Wii 315,755 (+18%) 20,685,142
PSP 229,377 (-5%) 33,610,681
PS3 169,250 (+3%) 9,993,433
X360 108,303 (+2%) 16,378,945

Even the PS3, that have slow start was in a much better position at this time.
Can PS4 and next box saving gaming?
I think 3DS will do decently this year, but nowhere the Wii, PS2 or DS sucess.
The other consoles will be lucky to reach 8 million (PS3, Wii U and Xbox 360).

Fanatismo não leva a nada, apenas a colecionar antipatias.

Collection: Telejogo Ford-Philco, Dactar, TV Game 2600, Master System (2x), Master System Portable, NES, Dynavision 3, Mega Drive 3 (2x - Tectoy and Show Do Milhao Edition), Genesis 3, Genesis Arcade Motion, MD Play, SNES (2x), Super Famicom, Neo Geo CD, 3DO, Saturn, Playstation, Nintendo 64 (2x), Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Game Cube, Xbox, Zeebo, Playstation 3, Xbox 360 (Kinect Bundle), Wii (2x - White and Red), Game Boy Pocket, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, DS Lite, 3DS, Vita, Wii U, Playstation 4 and Xbox One. Around 800 games. Preferred Generation: 16 bits. 

thismeintiel said:
Does anyone know when or if the PS3 has dropped below 35K WW since it launched? I couldn't find a week when it had, though I only went through ~1 1/2 years of data. If it hasn't, that's very troubling when it launched for $200 more than the Wii U and didn't have a heavy hitter, like GT5, at launch.

It never dropped that low, and I believe it has only had one week below 50k.  That was before it even launched in Europe.

thismeintiel said:
sales2099 said:
NYANKS said:
Everyone will remember that PS3 passed 360, it will be looked at historically as a good comeback, Also, the PS3 will pass in one less year, meaning that PS3 exceeded 360. It wasn't an even race all the way through.

Your totally right, 360 didnt have PS brand behind it, mainland europe and Japan working in their favor, not to mention Live Gold prices, RROD, and a lack of retail AAA exclusives. Your so right that 360 was at a disadvantage, its amazing how long its holding out :P

So, a retail price of $200 more than you're next competitor, lack of real 3rd party support for nearly 2 years, and a once inferior online network are advantages, now.  Hope Sony keeps that in mind for next gen. 

Edit:  Whoops!  Almost forgot Sony's best asset.  Releasing 1 year (1 1/2 years in some regions) after your competitor.  Looks like Sony is making all kinds of mistakes with the PS4.

Exactly. Well said.  The PS3 has done what 360 has done. And in one less year.  Nobody cares what Star Wars opening week was, they only care about the result.  And even if they do look into it, it was a great comeback against a company with a lot of money to burn.

The numbers in Europe are low yet... need adjustments.

Around the Network
JGarret said:
Gamerace said:

I had huge reservations about it from the start.  In 2004/5 Nintendo was wondering how to get more people to play.  They realized that the dual analog controllers were a huge discouragement for new people to begin playing (kids excepted).  Their solution was the wiimote.   It was admittedly an imperfect solution but it accomplished what Nintendo was after - grew their user base tremendously.    So to see them return to the dual analog controller (albeit with a touch screen attached) was a shock and disappointment. I knew instantly it would flop.  Casuals who didn't like the dual analog before certainly wouldn't like a bigger/bulkier and even more interface confusing one now and core gamers aren't going to take too kindly to the huge touchscreen either.   At that time it wasn't clear then how much the wiimote would continue to be supported though, or price, power, etc. 

Once it became clear that WiiU would be over-priced (because of the gamepad), underpowered (because of the cost of the gamepad), and lacked any killer core or casual launch title I knew it was doomed to Gamecube-like sales. Nintendoland fails because, while the appeal of the wiimote/Wii Sports was obvious, Nintendoland has to be played to see it's appeal and casual's won't want to play with the dual analog gamepad to begin with.    If they were willing to use dual analog they'd get a 360/PS3 with a s---load more games instead.  

WiiU (IMO) is completely and utterly screwed without an audience beyond the Nintendo faithful and I expected them to support WiiU better than what we're seeing.   I imagine once 3D Mario, Kart, Zelda, Smash, etc release the faithful will pick it up but now I'm starting to think it's sales will be closer to 10m as it's 3rd party support will likely be even worse than Gamecube's and GC at least had better tech and lower price than PS2.   WiiU will be substancially weaker than it's competition and likely just as expensive - possibly more, depending on how big a loss MS will take and how big a discount a 2yr XBL subscription will offer.

As a Wii fan I did feel NSMBWii was the last offering Nintendo made for people 'like me'.  Wii Party was 'meh', Wii Motion Plus sucked, and while I personally enjoyed Metroid: Other M and Kirby I'm sure most casuals or semi-core/casuals like me probably didn't look twice at them. Just Dance/Zumba Fitness saved Wii from falling even faster and further than it did.   And frankly Dance Central/Kinect is much better than those.

Sell even less than the GC?...I can´t see that happening, but I´II tell you..it´d make an interesting thread, with everyone jumping at you for your 'insanity' in claiming that :P

LOL.   I'd be the anti-John Lucas!    But I'm not prepared to make that prediction - yet.

The industry has grown, and I expect some Wii goodwill to fall on WiiU so it OUGHT to outsell GC but these WiiU numbers are simply abysmal.

Let's see what Sony/MS announces first and then we'll have a better idea where Nintendo stands.

Yakuzaice said:
thismeintiel said:
Does anyone know when or if the PS3 has dropped below 35K WW since it launched? I couldn't find a week when it had, though I only went through ~1 1/2 years of data. If it hasn't, that's very troubling when it launched for $200 more than the Wii U and didn't have a heavy hitter, like GT5, at launch.

It never dropped that low, and I believe it has only had one week below 50k.  That was before it even launched in Europe.

Damn, that's what I thought.  So, the PS3 only being out in two major regions, a price tag of $200 higher, and no 2D Mario-like game (saleswise, not genrewise) has never dropped below 35K.  Wii U is most likely going to end up around 30M-40M.  Well, unless Nintendo gives it a drastic price cut, like $80-100.

@ fmjasinski

I think the PS3 dropping to $199 or lower this year, along with the many AAA games releasing for it, should keep it north of 8M.  Can't say the same about the 360, and not too sure about the Wii U.

thismeintiel said:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5064024

sales2099 said:
NYANKS said:
Everyone will remember that PS3 passed 360, it will be looked at historically as a good comeback, Also, the PS3 will pass in one less year, meaning that PS3 exceeded 360. It wasn't an even race all the way through.

Your totally right, 360 didnt have PS brand behind it, mainland europe and Japan working in their favor, not to mention Live Gold prices, RROD, and a lack of retail AAA exclusives. Your so right that 360 was at a disadvantage, its amazing how long its holding out :P

You just contradicted your entire argument a few pages ago. 

and FYI, Xbox 360 wasn't at a disadvantage, it had many things going in its favor including much earlier release, cheper price and arguably better launch line-up including all the big multiplatform games as PS3.

thismeintiel said:

@ fmjasinski

I think the PS3 dropping to $199 or lower this year, along with the many AAA games releasing for it, should keep it north of 8M.  Can't say the same about the 360, and not too sure about the Wii U.

I agree with you, PS3 has really massive games coming and a price cut, but, in the other hand, I think PS4 can steal a lot of it's thunder. 

Fanatismo não leva a nada, apenas a colecionar antipatias.

Collection: Telejogo Ford-Philco, Dactar, TV Game 2600, Master System (2x), Master System Portable, NES, Dynavision 3, Mega Drive 3 (2x - Tectoy and Show Do Milhao Edition), Genesis 3, Genesis Arcade Motion, MD Play, SNES (2x), Super Famicom, Neo Geo CD, 3DO, Saturn, Playstation, Nintendo 64 (2x), Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Game Cube, Xbox, Zeebo, Playstation 3, Xbox 360 (Kinect Bundle), Wii (2x - White and Red), Game Boy Pocket, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, DS Lite, 3DS, Vita, Wii U, Playstation 4 and Xbox One. Around 800 games. Preferred Generation: 16 bits.