By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global UP! 26th January 2013

thismeintiel said:
kowenicki said:
360 year 8 of availability (2012) first 4 weeks - 796k

PS3 year 8 of availability (2013) first 4 weeks - 654k

Tracking 18% below 360 equivalent year.

The 360 had Halo, and the PS3 has the PS4, WiiU's second Xmas and Nextbox to compete with. Will end up way more than 20% below 360 equivalent year for sure.

360 ended the year on 9.8 million last year so I think PS3 can't do more than 7.5m imo, that will be down 33%.

You think the PS3 is only going to do 7.5M?  Lol.  Tell me you're not being serious.  Nevermind, I know you are.  You honestly think the PS3 is going to drop by 4M YOY, when the PS3 only dropped by 2.6M last year, with no huge exclusives or price cut?  Wishful thinking on your part.  Personally, I don't see it being below 9M.  But, that's cool.  I'll just gleefully point it out to you at the end of the year. 

Well you only need to follow the current trend and see how it's not going to get better for a while, factor in the fact that the 360 always has a better holiday period than the PS3 and still only managed 9.8mil, and the increased competition from all areas and you see that anything gained by games and/or a price cut will be a minimal increase (read: Wii 2010/11) and you get an answer around 8.3mil for me.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
Conegamer said:
thismeintiel said:
kowenicki said:
360 year 8 of availability (2012) first 4 weeks - 796k

PS3 year 8 of availability (2013) first 4 weeks - 654k

Tracking 18% below 360 equivalent year.

The 360 had Halo, and the PS3 has the PS4, WiiU's second Xmas and Nextbox to compete with. Will end up way more than 20% below 360 equivalent year for sure.

360 ended the year on 9.8 million last year so I think PS3 can't do more than 7.5m imo, that will be down 33%.

You think the PS3 is only going to do 7.5M?  Lol.  Tell me you're not being serious.  Nevermind, I know you are.  You honestly think the PS3 is going to drop by 4M YOY, when the PS3 only dropped by 2.6M last year, with no huge exclusives or price cut?  Wishful thinking on your part.  Personally, I don't see it being below 9M.  But, that's cool.  I'll just gleefully point it out to you at the end of the year. 

Well you only need to follow the current trend and see how it's not going to get better for a while, factor in the fact that the 360 always has a better holiday period than the PS3 and still only managed 9.8mil, and the increased competition from all areas and you see that anything gained by games and/or a price cut will be a minimal increase (read: Wii 2010/11) and you get an answer around 8.3mil for me.

Conidering the PS3 was only $199 in the US for a weekend last year, and helped it be up 15% YOY for that week, I think people are underestimating the impact a $199 PS3 for at least half of the year (maybe more) will have.  Also, you're 360 at holidays point means very little when the PS3 out performed it for the vast majority of the year, and despite a $50 cut for 360 in its largest market and the release of Halo 4, the PS3 ended up ~1.5M ahead of the 360.  Also, the 360 didn't do all that well against the PS3 for holiday 2012.  It only outsold the PS3 WW by ~240K from Nov-Dec.

I'm happy with Ni No Kuni's numbers, great game. Hopefully this week's number in Europe will match it.

sales2099 said:
VGKing said:
sales2099 said:
VGKing said:

What a ridiculous argument. You obviously can't accept the fact that PS3 will surpass XBox 360 sometime in the future. You are in denial. Once next-gen PS4 and Xbox come out, MILLIONS WILL STILL BE GAMING ON PS3/360. That is a fact. Those who get these consoles at launch are the minority. So please stop here before you embarrass yourself. If you REALLY didn't care about sales, then stop visiting this website. Stop commenting on the Weekly sales threads. The fact that you keep stating that it doesn't matter anymore proves that you still care so much as to try to downplay it over and over again.

I accepted it for a few years now. Your in denial that all gaming fans (PC/MS/Nin).....except SOME PS3 fans, don't care. Simple as that.

Its people like you that address me over and over that proves your care so much that your trying to scrape together whatever victory you can get.

LMFAO. You're the one whose downplaying any sort of achievement the PS3 does. PS3 has The Last of US, God of War,  NinoKuni, Beyond...etc all these exlucsive games coming this year? WHO CARES US XBOX FANS WILL BE PLAYING ON THE NEXT GENERATION! 

Obviously I am paraphrasing but that is your general stance on PS3. We can never celebrate any achievement because you're bored of current-gen. The only reason I'm even replying to you is because your logic is so ridiculous that it is annoying and borderline trolling. I reported you so hopefully the mods deal with you. I'm done here.

Dont get so sensitive. Im just talking here. My origional comment was harmless and was called upon by people, including you.Its upsetting that your telling me that disagreeing with you without trolling = report.

My logic is sound. All factions will not care, except some in the PS3 fan community. That factually means its only a neglible amount that will really care. Sorry if the truth makes you want to report me....

EDIT: Your comeback about PS3 exclusives has 0 to do with our discussion as they are coming out BEFORE nov 2013.

you know i have allot of respect for you, but in the end, it doesn't matter when it happenss. it's a victory either way, regardless if it happens at the end of the 7th gen, or in the 8th, because both consoles will be supported, that makes the possible achievement relevant.

it's not relavent with the support ends.

srry @VGKING but it wasn't worth reported because it's his syle of posting pattern. it's in the rules.

ethomaz said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
the front page has some crazy adjustments. i would think 360's adjustments are do to its Q3 results.

anybody have any idea?

No adjustment this week... in hardware.

thanks. its seems there was an adjustment thoug. PS3 dropped to 72m from 73m. the gap is 1,558,776, so i guess it doesn't matter.

Around the Network

Almost a photocopy of last week, just uglier.
Only XB360 almost decent for its age, and 3DS and PS3 almost good, the rest horrible.
Good boost (as percent increase) for PSV SW.
Better to wait for Spring, even a big price drop and relaunch marketing campaign would be wasted in this dead period, both for WiiU and PSV.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

CGI-Quality said:
Bong Lover said:
CGI-Quality said:

Again, I gave you Business Protocol 101. All you did was tell me that the majority of people will have moved on (a truth, but not the full story). Of course many gamers will have moved on, but I never argued against that, because that goes without saying. In the corporate world, though, the numbers will not be forgetten, minimized, or ignored (what I've said from the beginning). You weren't "sidestepped", you just heard the argument you wanted to hear and skipped what was relevant. You took one look at this week's numbers and decided that, by November, this will all suddenly vanish and it just doesn't work like that. Take it from a guy with an industry position, it's talked about much more than you think.

Nevertheless, the easiest way to solve this problem - agree to disagree.

Business Protocol 101? In the corporate world even fewer people will care when/if the PS3 sells more units than the 360. At least in the deep corners of the internet somewhere there will be a person here and a person there who acctually thinks it has any relevance. In the corporate world however the thing they will look at is : The PS3 lost x million dollars, the Xbox 360 made y million dollars. And that is all they will care about.

You clearly don't understand how it will work, then. The GameCube made waaay more money than the PS2. How much did that matter? Research my friend, helps a lot.

What money the PS3 lost in its early years will matter less versus how it went out. Again, not talking with zero experience, here.

Yes, from a corporate point of view, which I believe you were talking about, that matters a whole lot.That said, are you sure the Gamecube made waaay more money than the PS2, or are you confusing Gamecube vs. PS2 profitability with Nintendo vs. Sony profitability over the 6th generation?

Inverstors care about profits, not if they sell more than a competitor or not. The corporate world will judge the 'console wars' based purely on revenues, profits and market share trends. With all your experience you'll know that no one in the corportae world will care about when the PS3 sells more than the 360. Perhaps someone at Sony will get an expensive lunch when it happens, but no one else will care. Even at Sony they will all know that they have lost a fair amount of marketshare to Microsoft which is a much more significant factor.

Here's a hint: There's a reason why neither Microsoft nor Sony sell 500 million consoles at $0.50, it's because in the corporate world they care much more about how much profit they make than setting the world record of console sales.

Wii U is selling pretty bad.. Maybe now all the hardcore gamers will like Nintendo now? :/

Metallicube said:

Wii U is selling pretty bad.. Maybe now all the hardcore gamers will like Nintendo now? :/

probably, but to get really popular it needs to be Nintendo's last system like Dreamcast for Sega.  10 million people bought it and now everyone seems to love the thing.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

pezus said:
Vita should overtake WiiU soon!

Way to aim for stars there Pezus, but I guess Sony has to aim low when things are so bad for them right now lol.