By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you believe that Youtubers can contribute to a game's success?

I was just looking through Youtube and saw that PewDiePie had started a Ni No Kuni playthrough. Now PewDiePie if you didn't know is a very popular Youtuber with almost 4.5 million subscribers and over one billion video views. Do you think that him playing the game will boost its sales at all?

The Video

Around the Network

No. Unless it's something like Minecraft.
I also find it odd that he's playing that game. Seems that most of his Subscribers subbed him for playing horror titles instead of RPG's or any other genre.

I know it will, but the real question is "by how much?" or "how significantly?"

NintendoPie said:

No. Unless it's something like Minecraft.
I also find it odd that he's playing that game. Seems that most of his Subscribers subbed him for playing horror titles instead of RPG's or any other genre.

Well, out of all the people who watch the video, someone may not have known what it was or wouldn't even have given the game a shot out of ignorance of what it was.  Since the question in this thread is this: Do you think that him playing the game will boost its sales at all?
Even a single sale counts by the wording.

Of course. Add in the vast numbers of Let's Players with "only" a few ten-/hundred thousand subscribers and see the vast number of people these guys reach.

Around the Network
MDMAlliance said:

Well, out of all the people who watch the video, someone may not have known what it was or wouldn't even have given the game a shot out of ignorance of what it was.  Since the question in this thread is this: Do you think that him playing the game will boost its sales at all?

If we consider 1 or 100 sales a boost, then yeah.

NintendoPie said:
MDMAlliance said:

The "at all" part makes it so.

pezus said:
Most certainly. They were one of the big reasons for Minecraft's early success

And Call of Duty, and Slender Man, and QWOP, and Amnesia.

MDMAlliance said:
NintendoPie said:
MDMAlliance said:

The "at all" part makes it so.

Don't take it that literally :p. I meant by a noticeable amount.

Yes, it has been done before, with Minecraft, CoD, Slender, Amnesia and many more. They also help people learn about old games that were amazing but were forgotten by a lot people. Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, and Secret of Mana