By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's unrealistic pricing for old-school platformers et al.

Tagged games:

RolStoppable said:
happydolphin said:

Yeah, it came first, and it came at the peak of the Wii's casual craze.
The two advantages are of the past.

This means the reasons why NSMBU isn't performing better are what exactly?

1: There are not 60 million Wii U owners ready to buy a new fun multiplayer game at this point in time.

2: The game isn't advertised on tv and in stores NEARLY as much as NSMBW was.

3: The wow-factor of being the first 2D Mario console game in 13 years just isn't there.

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
happydolphin said:

Did you ask them?

Yes.

Orly? And they specifically told you that they weren't interested in NSMB?

I just asked 3 colleagues of mine, two of them are mums, and one mum said she and her daughter play mobile games, and she hasn't bought NSMBW because she thought it may be too hard for her daughter (using buttons seems complicated) but is very interested and considering getting it for her. The other says that her daughters love NSMBW, and they also play mobile games. The other is a Male, no kids, and said he wouldn't mind playing NSMB, but he wouldn't buy a U to play it (he mentioned the U himself).

RolStoppable said:

What would you say is the single biggest and most obvious reason why NSMBU didn't match the sales pace of NSMBW?

Clearly the pricepoint and lack of other games to buy with it. That's paired with the fact that cheaper alternatives exist.

Nintendo: You are paying for the ability to not leave your couch and not fill up your house with clutter.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

RolStoppable said:

That's the heart of the issue. Your analysis of the situation is way off base. I'll tell you why.

The single biggest reason why NSMBU didn't match the sales pace of NSMBW is due to the amount of hardware that exists. Consider these facts:

1) NSMBW sold more than 10m copies in three months.
2) Nintendo was going to ship a maximum amount of 5.5m Wii Us during the console's first 4.5 months, because they wouldn't be able to produce more than that.

Therefore, even if you assume a complete sellout for Wii U hardware and a 100 % attach rate for the game, NSMBU would be capped at 5.5m units which is about half the pace of NSMBW. If you run these obvious numbers, it was always clear that it was impossible for NSMBU to sell at the same pace as NSMBW. It was impossible for it to do even half as well.

Instead of taking the obvious into account, you made up a myriad of other possible reasons. All of your arguments in this thread are based on an entirely false premise and the longer you ignore the obvious, the more ridiculous your arguments will get. You saw a problem where there is none.

I like your facts (honestly), but the main problem with this is that the U did not sell out, so the cap was never reached.

RolStoppable said:
happydolphin said:

I like your facts (honestly), but the main problem with this is that the U did not sell out, so the cap was never reached.

Why does this even matter?

It matters because the cap never limited the pace of NSMBU.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
happydolphin said:

NSMBW sold more than 10m copies in three months. Even if NSMBU reached the cap of 5.5m for its first 4.5 months, it would have fallen short of NSMBW's sales.

10,000,000 is a much bigger number than 5,500,000. Get it?

Yeah, I get it. You don't get my point. Even if it could have, it still wouldn't have, because even when limited, it never reached that limit. You get it?

i.e. it never reached 5.5m, so the limit was rendered powerless as a constraint, in the context of your logic.

happydolphin said:
RolStoppable said:
happydolphin said:

NSMBW sold more than 10m copies in three months. Even if NSMBU reached the cap of 5.5m for its first 4.5 months, it would have fallen short of NSMBW's sales.

10,000,000 is a much bigger number than 5,500,000. Get it?

Yeah, I get it. You don't get my point. Even if it could have, it still wouldn't have, because even when limited, it never reached that limit. You get it?

Let's say Nintendo gave away 60 million Wii Us at launch do you believe the sales of NSMBU would be the same as they are right now?

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:

Let's say Nintendo gave away 60 million Wii Us at launch do you believe the sales of NSMBU would be the same as they are right now?

No, but I don't think they would be as strong as NSMBW, not at 60$, as great as NSMBU seems.

To Clarify: They would be higher because more people would own a U and would not have needed to pay the hefty WiiU entrance fee of 300$.

RolStoppable said:

Yes, I get it. Your disdain for the NSMB games is so huge that any kind of logic is lost on you. You have made this pretty clear over the course of 300+ replies in this thread.

I gave you enough chances to redeem yourself, to show signs of understanding instead of blindly clinging to your initial stance. I had more patience than anyone else in this thread. Perhaps I was wrong to think that you have improved since last year. We are pretty much back to where we were one year ago.

Instead of calling you things and reporting myself right afterwards, I'll just exit the thread for good this time. Like so many others have already done before me, because there's no point in talking to you.

Can't you just be normal and address the points, and leave when you're bored. Why make it personal?

First off I want to say I'm sorry if I offended anyone here, that really wasn't my intention.

Now I want to add that, revisiting the e-shop yesterday after a few months of not touching my 3DS (I actually loaded my copy of NSMB2 ironically as well), I remembered that Nintendo did have some game offerings at 10$. Pushmo is one example.

I guess that you guys are right, that NSMB and DKCR could be considered premium offerings that have a high entrance fee. The market is paying for them, but I hold to the idea that the sales trend will go down. That's not a big issue as long as Nintendo can adjust its projections to match the reality of it. I expect NSMBU to perform somewhere between the NSMBW and NSMB DS trends. It will do well, but not as well as the Wii version, it will take more time to build the sales. However, since it's a launch title, that is a good strategy as the legs will not be cut short as would be the case with NSMBW.

I just want to say thank you to everyone that participated in this thread and I learned a lot. I hope I didn't offend or hurt anyone in the process.

Regards,
Phil