By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's unrealistic pricing for old-school platformers et al.

Tagged games:

It's not appauling at all. These games sell quite well at that price and they have a lot of effort put into them. These aren't little downloadable games. Donkey Kong Country returns is worth more money in terms of the amount of fun it requires than 98% of AAA multiplats.

Around the Network

I find it apalling that people expect Nintendo to follow everybody else into the abyss.

The type of game itself does not make it less valuable.

TruckOSaurus said:

You asked me why I consider Console gaming and Mobile gaming vastly different markets and that's what I did. Steam is PC gaming which is closer to console gaming.

Fair enough, the controls atm do distinguish them, but by virtue of the argument I made earlier (that people who buy Angry Birds also bought NSMB) you can't say they're uncomparable.

And then you need to cater to the fact that it's only a matter of time before dedicated controllers add-ons become ubiquitous as well.

RolStoppable said:
happydolphin said:

USA

Europe

Let's go back to the sales data, because that's the heart of the issue. Explain how these graphs prove that there is a problem with the pricing of the NSMB games.

Those graphs show a worrisome downward launch pattern from NSMBW.

RolStoppable said:

Why did NSMBW sell so well in the first place? Did it have any advantages over the games that were released afterwards?

Yeah, it came first, and it came at the peak of the Wii's casual craze.
The two advantages are of the past.

happydolphin said:
TruckOSaurus said:

You asked me why I consider Console gaming and Mobile gaming vastly different markets and that's what I did. Steam is PC gaming which is closer to console gaming.

Fair enough, the controls atm do distinguish them, but by virtue of the argument I made earlier (that people who buy Angry Birds also bought NSMB) you can't say they're uncomparable.

And then you need to cater to the fact that it's only a matter of time before dedicated controllers add-ons become ubiquitous as well.

People who bought Angry Birds and those who bought NSMB certainly overlap but they're not the same group.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
happydolphin said:

Those graphs show a worrisome downward launch pattern from NSMBW.

Why did NSMBW sell so well in the first place? Did it have any advantages over the games that were released afterwards?

Yes it did indeed.

There were about 60 million Wiis out there at the time of its release, and wii products were still prominently displayed at all retailers, and there hadn't been a new 2D console Mario game for over 13 years.

RolStoppable said:
happydolphin said:

Yeah, it came first, and it came at the peak of the Wii's casual craze.
The two advantages are of the past.

This means the reasons why NSMBU isn't performing better are what exactly?

Fatigue and the disinterest of the greater market.

TruckOSaurus said:

People who bought Angry Birds and those who bought NSMB certainly overlap but they're not the same group.

I'm aware of that but I'm not sure what that adds to the discussion. I can't see how a good portion of the NSMB sales are not from that market.

happydolphin said:
TruckOSaurus said:

I'm aware of that but I'm not sure what that adds to the discussion. I can't see how a good portion of the NSMB sales are not from that market.

A good chunk of the people who bought only Angry Birds aren't interested in full fledge video games and never will so they're not part of Nintendo's potential market.

Signature goes here!

RolStoppable said:

This means, hypothetically speaking, that NSMBU should have sold at the same pace as NSMBW if there was no fatigue and disinterest of the greater market. Would you agree with this?

It would have to compat the high price entry of the U, as well as the steep price of NSMBU as compared to NSMBW, but it would have more power in and of itself yes. However, I doubt that it would have the same pace as NSMBW. That's why I take the curves with a grain of salt, as I understand there may be more than one thing happening at a time.

Remember back when NSMB released for the DS, it was a big novelty, and the same was true for NSMBW.

TruckOSaurus said:

A good chunk of the people who bought only Angry Birds aren't interested in full fledge video games and never will so they're not part of Nintendo's potential market.

Did you ask them?

happydolphin said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Did you ask them?

Yes.

Signature goes here!