By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Q3 FY2012 - $124m loss, PS3+PS2 6.8m, PSV+PSP 2.7m

Aaaaaaand the usual suspects are up to the usual tricks.

Can someone give me 2012 shipments for the big 3? Along with lifetime data (PS3 estimates)?

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

To be clear...

- Vita is dead = cost for game division
- PS4 development = cost for game division

Even so... PS3 managed to put the game division profiting.

Or the guys here will thing it's PS2? or PSP?

PS3 is doing a great job to hold the game division profiting... that's what I see at all.

PS. I'm thank you Sony to finally put a game division in your company and not merge with oter non-profit products... the things became clear for all.

You should remember something. This is Christmas quarter, the one when you sell the most. If your fixed costs are so high that Christmas sales and a more than favorable yen rate doesn't make you profit a lot, then you are really screwed. Not so long time ago several "high profile" Sony fans were dissing the Nintendo profits because it was Christmas quarter.

Carl2291 said:

Can someone give me 2012 shipments for the big 3? Along with lifetime data (PS3 estimates)?

There is not exact number for PS3 but I did a estimate between 74 and 75 million lifetime.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5101477

pezus said:
kowenicki said:
pezus said:
PS3 will outship 360 LT after this current quarter or the next.

very possible.

sony almost died achieving it.

you come in and paint pretty pictures.  You never once acknowledge the bigger stories here.  Its quite amusing to watch you scurry around cherry picking.

What is that supposed to mean? Am I supposed to be crying in a corner, or dooming Sony with every post? Redundant, boring and annoying is what that is. I look at the sales of the consoles, most of that other stuff does not pique my interest.

Being humbled would be nice for a change

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Guess different people from different segments are going to cherry pick which ever data points they want to advance their agenda. Guess I'll do the same:

Most of the companies in consumer electronics are citing soft growth worldwide for their light sales numbers, which makes sense. I don't see how Sony is going to be immune to these pressures.

Sony as a whole last year Q3: Loss of $2 billion dollars, this year loss of $100 million, definite improvement over last year, still below the profit that 3 analyst expected, includes a massive 432 million tax bill for this quarter, day to day operations are still positive. I did not see any asset sales for this quarter (do not know where that Japanese analyst Bloomberg quoted got that from), the sale of their NY headquarters happened in January so it will be reflected in this quarters numbers

In terms of Sony's piers in the industries that they compete in:

Gaming
Microsoft and Nintendo reported lower sales in their gaming division, even with Nintendo having a new console on the market. I really dont see how Sony was able to skirt that when overall gaming revenue around the world has been down according to NPD/GFK/Japanese Media.

They are maintaining overall console shipments which is surprising. Sony cut its handheld shipments in half from last year start of the fiscal year to 7 from 14. Also the cut tells me that they do not plan on lowering the price soon. Probably their weakest product right now, dont know how they are going to turn it around without a permament price cut and software. Nintendo, which is the market leader cut their shipments by 23% from 18.5 to 15 in the same time period.

Last year's operating income was helped out by the introduction of the Vita in Japan.

Cameras:
See Nikon: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-07/nikon-plunges-most-since-1985-after-forecast-cut-tokyo-mover.html
and Canon: http://www.nasdaq.com/article/canon-q4-profit-edges-down-sees-growth-in-fy13-announces-dividends-20130130-00083#.URPBdqVEF2A
They both tell the story of whats going on in the dedicated camera space (Sony does too, higher smartphone sales and lower demand from television/print media for big production cameras)

TVs
Outside Samsung no one is experiencing growth (Panasonic and LG and Sharp experienced lowered TV sales)

Movies, Music, Financial
moving the company forward as usual

Mobile
Pretty much the lone bright spot, sales up 100%, negative net income but as carriers get a better mix of product to try to get away from the iphone and its high "apple tax" i see their mobile unit benefiting, especially if they come out with compelling products

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:

Its probably at 74.8-75m as it was likely at +-69m end of september.

My predictions (75m for PS3 and 76m for 360) made february 2012 came true.

kowenicki said:
pezus said:
PS3 will outship 360 LT after this current quarter or the next.

very possible.

sony almost died achieving it.

Wow Is this the pre-determined retort from you lot, for when it actually happens?

pezus said:
Hyruken said:
Got to laugh. Only fan boys could celebrate a company posting losses....again.
Sony really are hanging on by their finger tips now.

Actually, that is the opposite of a fanboy. A fanboy is someone who cheers on a company only because they're profiting, which does not affect them at all. We like Sony because of its products. not because of its money. 

A fanboy also rationalizes when they are not profiting.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

pezus said:
sales2099 said:

Being humbled would be nice for a change

Which means what?

To act accordingly to your Gods performance. So in this case dial down the excitement as its a tough day in Sony camp. To dial it up now is like celebrating throwing money away.