By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - what is the purpose of life?

An honest question to those that say life has no purpose:

What would you give as a reason for not doing awful crimes such as rape or murder if life ultimately has no purpose?

Around the Network
RCTjunkie said:

What would you give as a reason for not doing awful crimes such as rape or murder if life ultimately has no purpose?

Morality does not come from God.

RCTjunkie said:

We are sympathetic by nature. Committing such actions would obviously make us feel bad about ourselves and for the victim(s). 

What a weird question.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
RCTjunkie said:

We are sympathetic by nature. Committing such actions would obviously make us feel bad about ourselves and for the victim(s). 

What a weird question.

But there are genetic deficiencies all of the time that cause people to have a lack of sympathy for others. What makes those atrocities not okay if there's no reason to hold back? Why do we grieve over awful things that have no real meaning?

miz1q2w3e said:
RCTjunkie said:

That begs the question where does it come from? Where is absolute morality come from?

Around the Network

Making people smile. That's my purpose in life and I value that much more than making money.

I also love giving hugs to people I know because I think the world/everyone needs more love, care, acceptance and respect.

You are the answer to every prayer I've offered.

You are a song, a dream, a whisper, and I don't know how I could have lived without you for as long as I have.

miz1q2w3e said:
Roma said:
NintendoPie said:
It's 42, I thought we all knew this.

I still don't get that what is 42?

It's from the movie "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy".

The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything is 42 :p

Maybe you should start reading the "Books" thread.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

RCTjunkie said:
miz1q2w3e said:
RCTjunkie said:

That begs the question where does it come from? Where is absolute morality come from?

From the Creator of our existence

To pass on your genes and continue your species survival.

As a Christian?

"The Christian is kept alive on earth to fulfill his destiny, which is to become a spiritually mature believer, a spiritual winner. "

God's purpose for the Christian calls for spiritual growth. Peter 3:18, "But grow in the grace and the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ....."

That's pretty much it for me.