By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo loses 21 dollars with every Wii U sold

i'm pretty sure that is not how you calculate it

...it actually sounds like a Joke fitting for an xkcd cartoon

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network

Is the Wii U Basic Edition profitable?

Because if they are losing 20 dollars on the Deluxe edition they can still earn it back and even more with the Basic edition.

Deyon said:
Is the Wii U Basic Edition profitable?

Because if they are losing 20 dollars on the Deluxe edition they can still earn it back and even more with the Basic edition.

More likely the basic is actually the bigger money loser.

A few pieces of plastic (charger/cradle) + a 10 cent Nintendo Land disc + what likely amounts to an extra couple of bucks of flash RAM (keeping in mind Nintendo does not pay consumer prices for components obviously) for a $50 mark up.

The deluxe they're actually probably making money on, it's the basic that they lose money on.

Extra costs have to be factored in for maketing, shipping, boxart etc.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

This is why I'm a crappy Nintendo fan. I took 21 bucks from them.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
ryuzaki57 said:
Player2 said:

Just when I thought that gaming journalism couldn't get worse.

What they are doing is Nintendo's operating loss = (Wii U manufacturing costs - Wii U price)x units shipped.

So they are assuming that excluding the Wii U everything else (anything 3DS, DS and Wii related, marketing, R&D costs, etc) magically cancel each other.

This. The calculation is just wrong : WiiU has a negative impact (as well as payroll among other things), but 3DS, DS, Wii have a positive impact on op. result, so no whatsoever conclusion can be made from this.

Thirded. Its just... wrong.

amp316 said:

Don't worry, you're still ok in their book. Nintendo makes a profit off your purchase If you buy 2 games with the Wii U.

In case you did not know if, the "Examiner" is basically a blog site.

And Operating Loss = (Wii U Loss) - [Wii Profit + 3DS Profit + DS family Profit + Software Profit]

Said equation only works if sum of Profit = 0.

Loss is probably at least $50.

Cost of 7-inch Google tablet -- $200.
Cost of Xbox 360 -- $100 (with subscription)
Cost of Xbox 360 controller $50 (built into Wii U tablet))

Sum of these costs -- $350.
Cost of Wii U Basic -- $300.

Difference -- $50.

Mike from Morgantown

Cost of Basic Bund

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Deyon said:
amp316 said:

Don't worry, you're still ok in their book. Nintendo makes a profit off your purchase If you buy 2 games with the Wii U.

lol don't feel about it amp316, i did the same when the PS3 released :D

PS: what the hell Deyon, you have posted 166 times since 26-01-2013!? hehe that's some dedication. Welcome to our little community ;)

If true, devastating if Nintendo is forced to prematurely cuts the price.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson