By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo loses 21 dollars with every Wii U sold

It's really not a lot though I'm still surprised they want to sell at a loss for It's first year or so, considering Nintendo said themselves they would no longer be taking losses after the 3DS fiasco (granted now the 3DS prints them money.).

It's just that simple.

Around the Network
spaceguy said:

However I am not happy my Wii U controller has froze up or just won't turn on. The screen is not lit up and it won't turn on the red light when it charges. So I'm not sure whats going on but I got to bring it back to Best Buy. So Update if this happens to you. I will let you know if I decide you punch a hole through the controller.

My gamepad has worked fine. No sense taking it back to BB, better to call Nintendo directly. If you take back the console, you lose your ID, digital content, and wii stuff you moved over. If you call Nintendo, you can exchange just the controller.

MonstaMack said:
It's really not a lot though I'm still surprised they want to sell at a loss for It's first year or so, considering Nintendo said themselves they would no longer be taking losses after the 3DS fiasco (granted now the 3DS prints them money.).

But they are not really taking a loss. The number of people who buy just the console and no extra games/controllers is FAR out weighed by those who buy two games and a controller. All in all, Nintendo is making money per new sale on average.

good thing they aren't selling any. less sales less losses.

Somini said:
the_dengle said:
Anyone want to bet they'll be selling it for a profit by the end of the year, just in time for Wind Waker HD / 3D Mario / Mario Kart and the real marketing push?

Not if retailers are slashing the price already. Will also be hard to achieve if they give in to the preasure and drop the price in the coming weeks/months.

Iwata says there will be no price drop. I doubt he'll change his mind just because Costco put them on sale.

Around the Network
Roma said:
that's actually pretty good as I thought it would be more than that.

Really? I thought it would be less.

VGKing said:
Roma said:
that's actually pretty good as I thought it would be more than that.

Really? I thought it would be less.

well they said they needed to sell more than one game to make a profit

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

if true thats pretty worrying for the ps4 price because the tech in that will be far more powerful

20 bucks is not bad .sony lost more money on the ps3

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

That's really low in comparison to the loss they are selling 3DS at plus the loss Sony was selling PS3 at for a few years back. I mean, this isn't really an issue. They'll make it back down the line once they put out some high profile + profitable 1st party titles.