By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IDC: Apple’s iPad dropped to 43.6% tablet share in Q4, Samsung took second with 15.1%, Amazon third with 11.5%

I keep waiting for this great Android growth to show up somewhere in usage metrics, but it never seems to.

Well, I did see one report recently which claims average Android app revenues are now 30% of iOS revenues, but I've never heard of App Annie before and their claim that Google Play revenues doubled in a single quarter is very suspicious to me.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network
torok said:
man-bear-pig said:
torok said:
man-bear-pig said:
pezus said:
So how is the Android vs. iOS share looking?

How's the Nexus 7 doing?

How's Surface doing :D?

Good. 900k for a new market entrant that's priced at £500 is impressive. It was only available for 2 months of the quarter aswell, which makes it even more impressive

Comparing with the first entrants of Nexus line and Kindle, it isn't impressive at all.

Erm...you don't know what you're talking about. I don't know much about Kindle sales, but I know the Nexus 7 sold 1m in its first 2 months on sale, and it's 1/3 of the price of a Surface...so yeah.

man-bear-pig said:

Erm...you don't know what you're talking about. I don't know how much the Kindles sales, but I know the Nexus 7 sold 1m in its first 2 months on sale, and it's 1/3 of the price of a Surface...so yeah.

Actually, the only number we got from Asus about it is that it's is selling 1 M per month and it wasn't released on hollydays. Kindle numbers are somewhere in this thread.

nightsurge said:
pezus said:
So how is the Android vs. iOS share looking?

Well considering Android would be:

Samsung + Amazon + Asus

-------------------------------------

32.4% Android total marketshare vs. 43.6% iOS marketshare.

Android growth and iOS decline looks good. Begun, the fall of iOS tablet dominance has.

32.4% + 43.6% = 76%. So what would the remaining 24% be?

The Barnes & Noble devices are Android, too,  just like probably the vast majority of the 22% "others".

So I'd say Android market share is currently probably closer to (100% - IOS), and has probably already surpassed IOS market share in tablets too.

Somini said:
I thought most people here did not trust the IDC numbers?

IDC is quite reliable and respected in the world.

Around the Network

Apple is still the big player, but clearly momentum is on Samsung and Android's side. I haven't and don't expect to see anything from Apple since Jobs left that'll reverse this trend. Stall it (Ipad Mini) yes, but reverse it, no.

Just a hint... Apple said in the financial release that iPhone and iPad product had supply issues in the quarter.... they just not sold more because these problems.

Gamerace said:
Apple is still the big player, but clearly momentum is on Samsung and Android's side. I haven't and don't expect to see anything from Apple since Jobs left that'll reverse this trend. Stall it (Ipad Mini) yes, but reverse it, no.

I'm not so convinced. Android's seeming dominance in US smartphone sales didn't stop Apple from taking a 63% share of Verizon's smartphones this past quarter. That's the carrier that poured hundreds of millions of marketing dollars into its own Droid brand.

Android as a platform is characterized by low margins and low stickiness, while iOS displays high margins and high stickiness. That puts Apple in a good postion to make a play for marketshare whenever it thinks it's advantageous to do so. The iPad Mini is a step in that direction, but it doesn't pay to rush when supplies of current products are already constrained and your platform is already the primary target for value-adding third parties.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

You people pretend Microsoft Surface is the only Windows tablet.

From the article:

"Meanwhile, Samsung swooped in to take advantage. The South Korean company experienced 263 percent year-on-year growth, shipping nearly 8 million combined Android and Windows 8 tablets during the quarter."

As you know that Samsung, Asus make windowns 8 and RT devices too as of last quarter... As do HP, Dell, Lenovo, Acer and lesser known manufacturers like Kupa, Vizio, Razer.

In other news, in USA alone Amazon Kindle Fire leads the Android tablet marketshare by a large margin.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/android-market-share/

So all 6 million of those tablets sold are in USA which is pretty impressive. By doing the math, Samsung sold about 2 million Windows + Android tablets in USA lst quarter. 

ethomaz said:
Somini said:
I thought most people here did not trust the IDC numbers?

IDC is quite reliable and respected in the world.

I know that, but a lot of people posting here did not when IDC reported this;

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/11936/article/idc-ps3-shipments-overtake-xbox-360-worldwide/