By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The VGChartz Art Creation & Gallery thread

Trunkin said:

Well, I guess I might as well quit being insecure and upload some of my more recent sketches.

This 1st one I sketched while reading Burne Hogarth's "Drawing the Human Head" a couple of months ago. I still haven't finished the book yet. I really should get back to it.

This one's also from around November(I think). I was planning on doing more with it, but I got lazy.

These are some recent head sketches I made in MyPaint. Just trying to get back into the feel of things.

Lastly, here's a Link Sketch that I'll probably never get around to coloring.

I love Hogarth's swooshy, volumizing forms, but it's not the most realistic. It definitely helps you memorize the parts, although his work is heavily stylzed. I like them very much.

Your sketches are wonderful and good stuff :) I like your style and I could see nice finished works coming out of them.

Yes, the Galaxy Note will work for anime/Disney style sketches and other things that don't require a lot of rendering. You can do fully rendered works on it, you just have to be really patient with it and adjust the opacity levels manually. The pen doesn't attenuate very well, that is.. you can't really do a light touch and get just the 'right' level of pressure you need like with the traditional Wacoms (the s-pen is a Wacom technically). There are those 1024 levels inbetween, but the curve seems to be adjusted more for someone who needs to jot things down quickly or sketch ideas, not paint with pressure. You can, it's just a pain. There is no way to adjust them software wise, and the hardware method (the nobs underneath the switches) only change the sensitivity of when the pen starts to register pressure. As an idea tool, or if you need to design something quickly (sketch it in the notepad), it's well-built for that and so you can use it as a sketchbook as an option... personally, I still prefer pencil and paper, but when that's not with me or it is too dark in the room, I use the tablet.

This is a 'pressure sensitive' painting I did on the tablet in LayerPaint... it's good in a sketchy, abstract, blocked in way, but as far as rendering, you can see the overlapping strokes and that I am having a hard time getting the exact values because of the way it picks up pressure. It's about a 15 minute sketch. I spammed dropper tool a lot, but it was hard to get the tonal gradients I wanted...

Around the Network
Marucha said:

I love Hogarth's swooshy, volumizing forms, but it's not the most realistic. It definitely helps you memorize the parts, although his work is heavily stylzed. I like them very much.

Your sketches are wonderful and good stuff :) I like your style and I could see nice finished works coming out of them.

Yes, the Galaxy Note will work for anime/Disney style sketches and other things that don't require a lot of rendering. You can do fully rendered works on it, you just have to be really patient with it and adjust the opacity levels manually. The pen doesn't attenuate very well, that is.. you can't really do a light touch and get just the 'right' level of pressure you need like with the traditional Wacoms (the s-pen is a Wacom technically). There are those 1024 levels inbetween, but the curve seems to be adjusted more for someone who needs to jot things down quickly or sketch ideas, not paint with pressure. You can, it's just a pain. There is no way to adjust them software wise, and the hardware method (the nobs underneath the switches) only change the sensitivity of when the pen starts to register pressure. As an idea tool, or if you need to design something quickly (sketch it in the notepad), it's well-built for that and so you can use it as a sketchbook as an option... personally, I still prefer pencil and paper, but when that's not with me or it is too dark in the room, I use the tablet.

This is a 'pressure sensitive' painting I did on the tablet in LayerPaint... it's good in a sketchy, abstract, blocked in way, but as far as rendering, you can see the overlapping strokes and that I am having a hard time getting the exact values because of the way it picks up pressure. It's about a 15 minute sketch. I spammed dropper tool a lot, but it was hard to get the tonal gradients I wanted...

Thanks for all the info(and the compliments :D). I think I'd mostly be using the tablet for short sessions, like practicing unfamiliar techniques, doodling poses, and drawing simple cartoons. I think it should be enough for that. Now if I could only find one for under $300. :P

Oh, and I'm a big fan of Hogarth! Although I haven't read that many artbooks, but I find the way he teaches to be very straightforward and to the point, and, like you said, they are good for memorizing parts, which I have a particularly difficult time with. Plus, I just love staring at his sketches. 

Trunkin said:

Thanks for all the info(and the compliments :D). I think I'd mostly be using the tablet for short sessions, like practicing unfamiliar techniques, doodling poses, and drawing simple cartoons. I think it should be enough for that. Now if I could only find one for under $300. :P

Oh, and I'm a big fan of Hogarth! Although I haven't read that many artbooks, but I find the way he teaches to be very straightforward and to the point, and, like you said, they are good for memorizing parts, which I have a particularly difficult time with. Plus, I just love staring at his sketches. 

They are releasiing an 8-inch model soon. Maybe that will be in your pricepoint. The CPU is supposedly a wee bit higher... google galaxy note 8 inch, youll see pictures/news on it

Marucha said:
Trunkin said:

They are releasiing an 8-inch model soon. Maybe that will be in your pricepoint. The CPU is supposedly a wee bit higher... google galaxy note 8 inch, youll see pictures/news on it

I can't believe I didn't hear about this earlier. I thought I was on top of this stuff! I find 9in. tablets to be the perfect size, but 8 inches is pretty respectable too, and since it'll be using a standard TFT LCD screen, I'm guessing Samsung is aiming for $300 or less. I'm crossing my fingers for $250 for the 16gb Wifi model, though.

Trunkin said:
Marucha said:
Trunkin said:

I can't believe I didn't hear about this earlier. I thought I was on top of this stuff! I find 9in. tablets to be the perfect size, but 8 inches is pretty respectable too, and since it'll be using a standard TFT LCD screen, I'm guessing Samsung is aiming for $300 or less. I'm crossing my fingers for $250 for the 16gb Wifi model, though.

I hope it works out for you. I personly prefer tablets as big as I can get them. If I need something small I go with a phone, and if I want to bring a tab along I'd want something as close the size of a laptop. That's why I'm so interested in the new move by MS and even Android Tab makers to include an attachable keyboard. It's the best of both worlds. Although I haven't played with one yet, I would imagine that a Windows 8 tablet with Photoshop, Corel Painter, etc. would be as good as it gets. If pressure sensitivity was included. I guess the bonus with that is you could always bring your Wacom along and have a touch screen tablet for quick access to buttons and the Wacom tablet for drawing.

I've heard of a pretty good Lenova pressure sensitive touch screen laptop, but since I'm not in the market for a laptop I haven't looked into it.

Around the Network
kain_kusanagi said:
Trunkin said:
Marucha said:
Trunkin said:

I hope it works out for you. I personly prefer tablets as big as I can get them. If I need something small I go with a phone, and if I want to bring a tab along I'd want something as close the size of a laptop. That's why I'm so interested in the new move by MS and even Android Tab makers to include an attachable keyboard. It's the best of both worlds. Although I haven't played with one yet, I would imagine that a Windows 8 tablet with Photoshop, Corel Painter, etc. would be as good as it gets. If pressure sensitivity was included. I guess the bonus with that is you could always bring your Wacom along and have a touch screen tablet for quick access to buttons and the Wacom tablet for drawing.

I've heard of a pretty good Lenova pressure sensitive touch screen laptop, but since I'm not in the market for a laptop I haven't looked into it.

I've held 10.1 inch tablets before, and I dunno. Maybe my wrists are just weak, but it feels a bit wonky holding them in one hand. Sony's Xperia Tablet S, on the other hand, feels just right. I think 8 inches is as small as I'm willing to go, though; 7 is just too small. I  usually sketch on pretty small peices of paper anyway, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I know what you mean about attachable keyboards. The Transformer Prime/Infinity was on my radar for a while for that very reason, and after playing around with one in my local Fry's, it seems even more appealing. Not only that, but someone has managed to get Ubuntu running on that thing! Unfortunately, not many transforming tablets also have stylus support. Lenovo's Wacom Penabled tablet PCs would be ideal, but I don't think make those anymore. I know the knewest HP Elitebook supports a pen, but I'm not sure if it's pressure sensitive. The Surface Pro's pen is pressure sensitive, though, but that has some funky touchpad flap instead of a true keyboard. Either way, those are all too expensive for me. I am currently in desperate need of a replacement for my laptop, but I could most likely build a respectable desktop and buy a Galaxy Note 8 for under $999, so I'd rather go that route. Surface is one sexy device, though, and, with a few interface tweaks, Photoshop on that thing would be bliss...

This was falling off my VGC Buddy and I don't want to forget about it so here's my Kratos-Pikmin:

Signature goes here!

Can I ask a question? I have a bamboo pen and touch tablet (that's what it's called). It's a pretty basic tablet, but suitable for my needs.

My question is: Is it normal to push really hard on the tablet? I use Photoshop and I tried one of the pressure sensitive controls (the harder you push, the darker the color). I have to push pretty hard in order to get a dark color. I'm afraid of ruining my tablet.

miz1q2w3e said:
Can I ask a question? I have a bamboo pen and touch tablet (that's what it's called). It's a pretty basic tablet, but suitable for my needs.

My question is: Is it normal to push really hard on the tablet? I use Photoshop and I tried one of the pressure sensitive controls (the harder you push, the darker the color). I have to push pretty hard in order to get a dark color. I'm afraid of ruining my tablet.

I sure hope it's normal because that's what I've been doing also.

Signature goes here!

tagging, im going to post some of my work later on