By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The VGChartz Art Creation & Gallery thread

kain_kusanagi said:
TruckOSaurus said:

I recently got a Wacom Bamboo tablet and I've found this really good tutorial on how to paint with Photoshop. Unlike all those speed painting videos, this one really show you the basics.

http://youtu.be/mFRHTs8-KVw

Hopefully, I'll be able to put all these techniques to good use and be able to post some new art here soon.

Thanks for posting that video. It's going to come in very handy when my new tablet arives. I'm so excited to finaly upgrade beyond my mouse.

How do you like y our Bamboo? Which model do you have?

Which tablet did you go for?

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
kain_kusanagi said:
TruckOSaurus said:

I recently got a Wacom Bamboo tablet and I've found this really good tutorial on how to paint with Photoshop. Unlike all those speed painting videos, this one really show you the basics.

Hopefully, I'll be able to put all these techniques to good use and be able to post some new art here soon.

Thanks for posting that video. It's going to come in very handy when my new tablet arives. I'm so excited to finaly upgrade beyond my mouse.

I got the Bamboo Capture, which is a pretty basic tablet. I wanted to make sure I would enjoy drawing with a tablet before I invested in something bigger and more expensive. So far I'm liking it a lot but I'm still getting the hang on drawing good lines with it.

I never took any art classes so I developped some bad drawing habits that I need to get rid of. For example, I used to draw long curving lines by doing a series of short strokes with a pencil and while the result was pretty good on paper, doing the same with stylus is just not an option. Luckily Ctrl+Paint has tons of videos on loosening up and drawing from elbow/shoulder so I should get better soon.

Oh that's good for feathery-y lines if you want them to be a little soft... both are good skills to have. Especially for detail work. A way we built confidence in larger lines is to go strictly large format to do warm-up sketches/large drawings... get an 18 X 24 newsprint pad, prop it on an easel, buy some vine charcoal and have a field day doing some figure sketches and other drawings. The Vine charcoal is pretty dusty, but that's the nice thing about it... it is easier more erasable than the other charcoal. You can sketch on Mi Tientes colored paper with it to build some interesting forms, then go over with charcoal pencil to get really good looking work that way too...vine is excellent for mindtones...

This is an example of what I mean from something I did in school a long time ago...

I sent you PM about it, but it's difficult to do large confident lines with a Wacom unless you have one of the larger ones (The Large or Extra Large). Some people buy the largest format for this purpose... or just because I guess... you can zoom out on an image though and get away with that easily. A good way to build your looser and more confident lines is to do gestures... basically, really fast gesture drawings of figures, objects, things of that nature... They look like this and you can do them on a large format in as little as 15 seconds. The less you pick up your hand the better. You can build over them a little with shading to help build/define the form, but the less details, the better I think... if you see sharp stops in the drawing and overthinking, usually not a really good gesture.

Marucha said:
kain_kusanagi said:
TruckOSaurus said:

I used your's and another poster's suggestions and it was difficult to make a decission. I finaly decided that I want a display tablet because I want it to be more like drawing on paper. After many reviews I went with the new upgraded Yiynova MSP19U. The reviews are good and the new model has a new digitizer with far better results and support.

I made some fanart for some videogames.

Kingdom hearts:

Shadow of the Colossus:

You can check more of my drawings in my deviant art account: http://pastro243.deviantart.com/ 

kain_kusanagi said:
Marucha said:
kain_kusanagi said:
TruckOSaurus said:

I used your's and another poster's suggestions and it was difficult to make a decission. I finaly decided that I want a display tablet because I want it to be more like drawing on paper. After many reviews I went with the new upgraded Yiynova MSP19U. The reviews are good and the new model has a new digitizer with far better results and support.

For performance reason, even though they're pretty expensive, I'd never concider a pen display other than Wacom's Cintiq line.

The Yiynova has lag issues and requires a battery for the pen (O_o). For me, I wouldn't even concider it. Altough to be fair, most pen display have lag. This one has a pretty low res screen.
But that 2048 pressure sensitivity is good. Maybe for your first pen display, this might still be good.

Around the Network
kain_kusanagi said:
Marucha said:
kain_kusanagi said:
TruckOSaurus said:

It's hard for me to comment. The videos I've seen for that were a different art style than I am used to painting (cell art), so I couldn't tell you much about the performance given they only had the size tied to the pressure sensitivity and really weren't trying to really render anything... I really very heavily on the pressure sensitivity of my tablet and the responsiveness of the tablet to do the rendering. There have been a lot of non-Wacom tablets creeping up past few years so I know eventually they may have competition... however, I do believe the battery-less pen is patented by Wacom. So I'm not surprised this uses batteries (I looked at the video and saw this).

Concept art sites/art creation communities have also multiplied as well, so definitely there is a grab for that growing popularity. Plenty of art sites trying to bank off of fledging artists/designers who want to be get industry work... but Wacom products are pretty proven... I think they moved their support into China... this is the last I heard but I hope it's not true. Which makes me a little 'meh'. However, pretty much if you need support and are ever worried about your stuff being supported for a long period of time, you don't have to worry about it with their stuff.

I hope it works well, but if it leaves you feel remorse, then don't onto something you can't use longterm. I would look up reviews to how the monitor handles color accuracy as well... this is important when you want to print your work later on. May not matter if you end up replacing it a few years from now, but it's a lot easier to replace a monitor than an entire tablet screen. I would consider joining a site like cghub to put your work up and get critiques... they're not for everybody, but they will introduce you to other styles of painting, different techniques and ways to get stuff to look the way you want... download everything that inspires you, because building that visual vocabulary is very important to making interesting pieces as well as helping you borrow from an internal library.

I will post up some videos that are helpful in the OP. I think everyone is interested in the topic, so I will gather up the resources I've found over the years and put them up...

Edit: I realized my post was sounding Retarded, so I rephrased some parts... I wrote it very quickly, I have a shorter attention span right now.

Of course I am completely distracted by everything at the moment I cannot seem to finish my pie humping an NES painting ><

I posted up some links to the OP... I may update more later. Went through some of my bookmarks and Youtube faves to find the wonderful treasures available out there for free... Suggestions welcome, just PM me some links if you want me to post them up :)

Was thinking of a future piece and sketched this on my Galaxy Note 10.1 within S-note. Stuff like this usually ends up being one of my more personal works. You can still see some of my manga influence in them... lol

Marucha said:

Was thinking of a future piece and sketched this on my Galaxy Note 10.1 within S-note. Stuff like this usually ends up being one of my more personal works. You can still see some of my manga influence in them... lol

Very nice sketch. How do you like your Galaxy Note 10.1. I have a regular Galaxy Note and I love it, but I can't say it's great for Sketching because it's it only has a 5 inch screen. The S-Pen is amazing.

I bought Sketchpad for my Galaxy Note, it's pretty cool. You might find it has more options than S-Note.

kain_kusanagi said:
Marucha said:

Very nice sketch. How do you like your Galaxy Note 10.1. I have a regular Galaxy Note and I love it, but I can't say it's great for Sketching because it's it only has a 5 inch screen. The S-Pen is amazing.

I bought Sketchpad for my Galaxy Note, it's pretty cool. You might find it has more options than S-Note.

I have the full version of SketchBook Pro and Layerpaint, paid apps... it's OK. I can barely tell there are 1024 levels of pressure tbh... seems like it does not attenuate very well in the lower levels. It's fine for sketching, but it's a pain for rendering so I don't usually do any serious works with it. I used S-note in this case because I like to keep track of my ideas...

There's a some dials underneath the S-pen button. You can pull the button off and that makes it possible to adjust the sensitivity, but it doesn't fix this situation, just effects when pressure starts registering. What they need to do is add a software option to control the pressure... there's no customization for painting/rendering, but it works perfectly for sketching and note-taking... I'm guessing that's why it's designed that way. I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about it... the apps out there that work with the pressure sensitivity could get better, but not by much.

Other people have mentioned TV Paint as being a wonderful app for not only drawing, but also animation. I don't think you can download it from the app market. You probably have to install it manually, but it's worth checking out. I think a lot of people compare it to drawing in Flash.

The tablet hardware/software itself is marvelous, perfect even... can't really suggest much can improve there. It's definitely a powerful note-taker.