By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony has less First Party Studios than Microsoft. 21 vs 15

S.T.A.G.E. said:
JayWood2010 said:
bananaking21 said:
can somebody explain to me the difference between first party and second party?

First Party - Completely owned by the platform holder 

Second Party - Usually a third party studio who has been contracted by the platform holder to work on a license owned by the platform holder 

Third Party - A game developed by an outside company based on their own original intellectual property 

The IP doesn't have to be owned by the platform holder to be a second party, the IP can be owned by the third party but contractually made solely for one console manufacturer. If they just hired a third party it would still be first party (The last Metroid for instance in tandem with Retro). Other than that you're spot on. ;)

Like Infinite Undiscovery IP is owned by MS but Square Enix was the one who made the game?

Around the Network
adriane23 said:
So MS has a lot of Team ICO's on their hands?

The best comment i have ever read on this site. Well said sir.

WagnerPaiva said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Microsoft has had more studios than Sony for nearly two years now, they still aren't pumping out as many IP's.

Maybe they are, there are dozens onf Kinect games on the market every month, and we real gamers not even notice them, but man, they sell. They sell a lot...

Probably these MS studios are busy making millions of dollars instead of making amazing games. In the end, that is what keeps a company alive...

They aren't supposed to majorly move but they are purosely made cheap so the profit margin is higher. You're correct their focus is on making millions of dollars instead of amazing gameswith Kinect.

DanneSandin said:

Now, Heavy Rain is too much of a movie to me; I'd much rather just watch an actual film instead, and GoW is just ridiculously gory and over the top for me to take seriously. I mean, come on - it's really silly to watch. They tried to make him too macho for my taste.

Fair points as i initially felt that way. Heavy Rain is more like choose your own adventure Goosebump books than a movie. There are many different endings and outcome. Whether you'll try to get them all or just be happy with a one you get depends on you. 

The character of Kratos was also quite repulsive to me. It is quite a different game when you watch someone playing it than when you actually play. It feels much more right given the context of the scenarios you are put into. He does questionable things and is no doubt an anti hero but the people he goes after are almost as manipulative as characters from mean girl and gossip girl. 

I felt the same about Wii Sports. What a silly little game as everyone was going crazy over it during Wii launch. Than i played it and had some genuine fun.

Deyon said:
adriane23 said:
So MS has a lot of Team ICO's on their hands?

The best comment i have ever read on this site. Well said sir.

It would have been better if he made a Final Fantasy versus 13 joke because it was announced in 2006(i believe) and The Last Guardian was announced in 2010(I believe)

Around the Network
enditall727 said:
Lostplanet22 said:
enditall727 said:

*BAM!* So that means MS should pump out more franchises than Sony on a regular basis

so they have no excuse to not deliver more exclusives than Sony on the regular now

this will be the official Sony franchises vs MS franchises generation

who will have the more quality franchises as a whole?

you have enlightened me with this info. You have also raised the expectations so if MS DOES NOT deliever more franchises than Sony then....

i'll save that for later

this is going to be good

Dude,  their are a lot of new IP's from MS.  Like today Skulls of Shogun..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UX0r96w9bog#at=21

The sad thing is that people always downlplay Xbla games but then with all love nominate an PSN games as GOTY... 

Journey deserved its spot

XBL can have a lot of arcade games but that doesn't mean that they are all game of the year worthy

1 recent xbl game that stood out to me was a game called "Dust: an elysian tail" but the rest didn't really stand out to me that much

that skull of shogun game doesn't look all that special.. it might be an alright fame but it doesn't seem like the type of game that could move me or something

I did not say it doesn't deserve it.  Just pointing out the obvious that MS has many new IP's. 

JayWood2010 said:

Go look it up each and every one of these studios yourself and tell me im wrong.  You sound ridiculous.  People on these forums know I wouldnt be falsifying information like this.  So either leave this thread or stop being childish and comment on something that is actually true

Show me the games they made than i'll believe you. Because i havent seen anything from those "studios" you mentiond.

It seems weird that they have that many studios but not many exclusives i can remember.

Your list is missing Team Ico

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

NobleTeam360 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
JayWood2010 said:
bananaking21 said:
can somebody explain to me the difference between first party and second party?

First Party - Completely owned by the platform holder 

Second Party - Usually a third party studio who has been contracted by the platform holder to work on a license owned by the platform holder 

Third Party - A game developed by an outside company based on their own original intellectual property 

The IP doesn't have to be owned by the platform holder to be a second party, the IP can be owned by the third party but contractually made solely for one console manufacturer. If they just hired a third party it would still be first party (The last Metroid for instance in tandem with Retro). Other than that you're spot on. ;)

Like Infinite Undiscovery IP is owned by MS but Square Enix was the one who made the game?

Thats third party. Square Enix got Tri-Ace to make it after Microsoft paid them for exclusivity. Tri Ace's games are published by Square Enix but they've never been owned by them.

DanneSandin said:
platformmaster918 said:
DanneSandin said:
bananaking21 said:
DanneSandin said:
Anyways, this gen will be really interesting to watch! As far as I'm concerned: Nintendo's 1st party games >>>Sony>>>>>MS

But maybe that'll change now??

you havent played sony first party to judge

Oh, but I have :D some... many years ago ^^ But just by looking at sales tells me this, and the scores and stuff like that. And besides, I've never found GoW to be something that would entice me, and I haven't played a GT since the first installment of the series ^^ But I'm not much for racers... Only game that looks good to me is UC... And only game MS has that's any good is/was Fable. But c'mon, we all know Nintendo pwns everyone else when it comes to 1st party. That's just the way it is.

ok so you haven't tried Infamous, Uncharted, Heavy Rain, Resistance, God of War, Twisted Metal, Warhawk, Sly, Ratchet, Jak, or LBP because of the review scores?  Also yes sales wise I would say Nintendo does and they lead in the platformer genre (Sony really only has Ratchet now that Jak has been put on ice and Sly isn't up to Mario levels), but sales aren't everything and you have to remember that Sony changes franchises every gen so their franchises don't get nearly as much of a following built up.

So many parents played Mario and now buy every one of them for their kids.  A lot of reviewers also are effected by nostalgia when grading Nintendo games (not saying they're bad but maybe a few of those 10s would turn to 8.5s if they didn't constantly bring up "magic" and "childhood feelings resurfacing").  Nintendo has the perfect strategy in making only 1 or 2 games for each franchise each gen.  They are of the highest quality and avoid series fatigue due to this.  It aslo ensures high sales for each iteration (NSMBU will sell millions upon millions not only because of its quality but also because of the fact that it probably won't ever get a successor so if you want 2d Mario on U you buy it and it stays at a high price because you can't get it from a sequel).  With this strategy they make a lot more money too considering they can sell games like Maro Kart DS for near full price still).

However Sony pumps out quality games at a high rate and makes awesome new IPs as well as investing in new types of games every gen that the other 2 wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.  Think you'd ever see Heavy Rain, Sly 4, or Journey on a MS system?  I don't think so.  My point is Nintendo is amazing and we need the pillar of their company and their franchises in this industry, but Sony is just as admirable for investing in NEW experiences and IPs even late in a generation and supporting their platforms longer than anyone.  You can't say one is better than the other on review scores and sales alone.

I didn't say I didn't admire Sony's effort of always giving us new IP's; I actually think that's a great thing they're doing, and more (perhaps most of all, Nintendo) should do it as well. And I have actually tried UC, GT, Twisted Metal and LBP. I'm not too interested in racing simulations and I prefer Super Mario over LBP, and Twisted Metal definitely isn't as good as it used to be. UC is something I really wanna play more of though!! And it's unfortunate you saying that Sly isn't as good as Mario (and implying that it's not as good as Jak either) since Thief's in Time has picked my interest =/

Now, Heavy Rain is too much of a movie to me; I'd much rather just watch an actual film instead, and GoW is just ridiculously gory and over the top for me to take seriously. I mean, come on - it's really silly to watch. They tried to make him too macho for my taste.

The boss fights in God of War are really hard when you play on higher difficulties (at least for me who never got into the hack and slash genre) so it's really satisfying to rip them apart and they always come up with the most appropriate way to do so for THAT specific character, which is why I don't mind the gore.  That and the scale is always epic while you're playing not just in cutscenes.  Heavy Rain really immerses you after the awkward tutorial stage and I've never found myself taking deep breaths after decisions or action scenes like in that game.  I was skeptical like you at first which is why I bought it when it was $30 but I'm getting Beyond at launch after seeing what it could do and the deep decision making that went into it.

I LOVE sly and have Thieves in Time pre-ordered I just don't view it as a top tier franchise.  The whole pressing circle to latch onto things never felt really smooth like climing in Uncharted, but it certainly has its charm and I'm looking forward to platinuming it.  I do like Jak and Ratchet better (2 of my favorite franchises of all time) but I simply put it below Mario because I just thought I would be run out of the internet for ever comparing Sly to Mario honestly.  But it's good to see a fellow admirer of the raccoon who isn't afraid to give him that honor.

I would encourage you to try Infamous if you haven't already it got lower scores than a lot of games as did Resistance 3 but all 3 of them are some of my favorite games this gen (R3 definitely my favorite shooter and I'm so mad at Sony for not marketing it better!)

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers