By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - VGLeaks: Orbis unveiled!

kumagawa said:

That's wrong the HD 7850 (desktop) has 28CU's for 1792 shaders.

The Orbis in this article has

18 Compute Units (CUs)
Hardware balanced at 14 CUs

14 CUs for 896 shaders.

There is another HD 7850???

The HD 7950 have 1792 shaders in desktop.

Full HD 7850 specs: http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/7850/Pages/radeon-7850.aspx#3

GCN Architecture
16 Compute Units (1024 Stream Processors)
64 Texture Units
128 Z/Stencil ROP Units
32 Color ROP Units
Dual Geometry Engines
Dual Asynchronous Compute Engines (ACE)

Full HD 7950 specs: http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/7950/Pages/radeon-7950.aspx#3

GCN Architecture
28 Compute Units (1792 Stream Processors)
112 Texture Units
128 Z/Stencil ROP Units
32 Color ROP Units
Dual geometry units

Please don't make confusion with the names.

The GPU in Orbis have 18 CUs... two more than the HD 7850... if there is 4 dedicaded for others tasks I don't know but the overall raw power is 1.8TF.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

nightsurge said:

ethomaz, you posted a benchmark of the desktop 7850 GPU. Doesn't this rumor base the GPU off of the M (mobile series) GPU? That would make a big difference in the benchmarks you posted. Very big difference.

What difference?

HD 7970M (Mobile): 1280SPs @ 850Mhz
HD 7850 (desktop): 1024SPs @ 860Mhz
Orbis (PS4K): 1152SPs @ 800Mhz

The PS4K GPU is more inline with the desktop version than the mobile one... the Mobile is stronger in graphcis power so because that the Eurogame said the Orbis GPU is 10% less powerful than a HD 7970M.

For comparison the HD 7850 is the best choice.

I suppose that is a decent comparison. However, that is assuming a 2GB of dedicated GDDR5 VRAM. That only leaves 2GB for the rest of the PS3 of which .5-1GB is reserved for the OS. Granted, GDDR5 is faster than DDR3, but you have to wonder if the lower quantity will affect anything or if developers will have issues porting between the differences of the Wii U, PS4, and NextBox.

Wii U - 2GB total RAM (DDR3? can't find it anywhere) - 1GB reserved for OS

PS4 - 4GB total RAM GDDR5 - 0.5GB/1GB reserved for OS

NextBox - 8GB total RAM DDR3 - 2GB/3GB reserved for OS

Wii U to PS4/NextBox will again be difficult and show a huge difference. PS4 to NextBox will be interesting working with half the RAM at higher speeds or if being able to store more in combincation with EDRAM will be better in the end.

What I understood from that 14 + 4 CUs division...

+ The normal GPU code will be automatically scheduled across 14 CUs (like normal graphic cards)
+ 4 CUs can run graphcis or compute because they are independently controlled by the developer

So the developers can use the extra 4 CUs for anything they wants.

Flexible.

ethomaz said:
NiKKoM said:
So it's over 9000?

At least 10x more powerful than PS360 for sure .

if this is true... in raw processing power is more about 4x more powerful than PS3 (610 Gflops TOTAL -  CPU(210Gflops) + GPU (+400 Gflops) versus the 102 for the CPUs and the 1850 of the GPU))

but faster ram, and better features of the GPU... 10x? my guess is not as high... but i think is enough to play 1080p games...

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

I like this a lot.

No more question next gen will be a huge jump. Some were questioning it saying we wouldn't see that much more powerful machines but all recent rumors are pointing towards a very large increase in power.

Around the Network

If this is $400-$450 like some are suggesting then I won't be buying one anytime soon.

Will wait until I can grab one for $250-$300 w/ game.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

pezus said:
I think $350 is not going to happen tbh lol. $400 minimum, with Europe getting screwed as usual.

With New Zealand and Australian costumers getting robbed. 

Yay!!!

Euphoria14 said:
If this is $400-$450 like some are suggesting then I won't be buying one anytime soon.

Will wait until I can grab one for $250-$300 w/ game.

Same here. PS4 Slim 2.0

HokageTenshi said:

How will you enjoy your poppcorn if you keep eating the same one? 

Yay!!!

Looks the good, Sony take my money!!!!

Check out my Youtube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePSXcollector