By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - VGLeaks: Orbis unveiled!

ethomaz said:
Turkish said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
I hope it's not more then £299 tbh

I expect £349 for you guys.

How much was the Wii U launch price in UK???

I expect the same for Orbis.

£299 for premium model

For mainland Europe I expect €399, but I'm ready to pay €499, I just hope there is a limited edition SKU with Cell for bc, more USB slots and memorycard readers and for example a chrome finish. I'd definetly pay a higher price for that!

Around the Network

From GAF...

I think the most interesting "new" part in this are the Extras, but there isn't really a lot of information there. However:

- Audio Processor (ACP)
Should take some signal processing load off the CPU, which is good considering its relative weakness at that task compared to Cell.

- Video encode and decode (VCE/UVD) units
Really interesting if we could get across-the-board support for low-latency streaming to Vita.

- Display ScanOut Engine (DCE)
I guess this time around the Sony console won't have a disadvantage in scaling.

- Zlib Decompression Hardware
Certainly interesting for loading and streaming.

This + extra 2 CU's are the special sauce.

ethomaz said:
riderz13371 said:
@ethomaz Which one of those graphics cards will the PS4 be using according to this leak? Sorry I'm very bad at this LOL.

The specs are a little better than the HD 7850... so that's the mostly close graphic card in the chartz.

The resolution I got have almost 2x more pixel than the 1080p.

ethomaz, you posted a benchmark of the desktop 7850 GPU. Doesn't this rumor base the GPU off of the M (mobile series) GPU? That would make a big difference in the benchmarks you posted. Very big difference.

ethomaz said:

From GAF...

I think the most interesting "new" part in this are the Extras, but there isn't really a lot of information there. However:

- Audio Processor (ACP)
Should take some signal processing load off the CPU, which is good considering its relative weakness at that task compared to Cell.

- Video encode and decode (VCE/UVD) units
Really interesting if we could get across-the-board support for low-latency streaming to Vita.

- Display ScanOut Engine (DCE)
I guess this time around the Sony console won't have a disadvantage in scaling.

- Zlib Decompression Hardware
Certainly interesting for loading and streaming.

This + extra 2 CU's are the special sauce.

Cool. The PS4 and Vita connectivity are gonna be very important. It will be so much fun streaming Killzone 4 to Vita.

In 2-3 years, they can bundle the cheapest Vita model with a PS4 for €400

Around the Network

nightsurge said:

ethomaz, you posted a benchmark of the desktop 7850 GPU. Doesn't this rumor base the GPU off of the M (mobile series) GPU? That would make a big difference in the benchmarks you posted. Very big difference.

What difference?

HD 7970M (Mobile): 1280SPs @ 850Mhz
HD 7850 (desktop): 1024SPs @ 860Mhz
Orbis (PS4K): 1152SPs @ 800Mhz

The PS4K GPU is more inline with the desktop version than the mobile one... the Mobile is stronger in graphcis power so because that the Eurogame said the Orbis GPU is 10% less powerful than a HD 7970M.

For comparison the HD 7850 is the best choice.

VGLeads UPDATED

UPDATE: some people is confused about the GPU, here you have more info about it:

Each CU contains dedicated:

- ALU (32 64-bit operations per cycle)

- Texture Unit

- L1 data cache

- Local data share (LDS)

About 14 + 4 balance:

- 4 additional CUs (410 Gflops) “extra” ALU as resource for compute

- Minor boost if used for rendering

Dual Shader Engines:

- 1.6 billion triangles/s, 1.6 billion vertices/s

18 Texture units

- 56 billion bilinear texture reads/s

- Can utilize full memory bandwith

8 Render backends:

- 32 color ops/cycle

- 128 depth ops/cycle

- Can utilize full memory bandwith

8 Jaguar cores are slower than the damn Cell for fuck sake :( and I'm not talking about the GHz there basically netbook CPU's

ethomaz said:

nightsurge said:

What difference?

HD 7970M (Mobile): 1280SPs @ 850Mhz
HD 7850 (desktop): 1024SPs @ 860Mhz
Orbis (PS4K): 1152SPs @ 800Mhz

The PS4K GPU is more inline with the desktop version than the mobile one... the Mobile is stronger in graphcis power so because that the Eurogame said the Orbis GPU is 10% less powerful than a HD 7970M.

For comparison the HD 7850 is the best choice.

That's wrong the HD 7850 (desktop) has 28CU's for 1792 shaders.

The Orbis in this article has

18 Compute Units (CUs)
Hardware balanced at 14 CUs

14 CUs for 896 shaders.

The 56 billion bilinear texture reads/s for texture units are the same than HD 7850... the specs are really near the HD 7850.