By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo 3rd Quarter Results (Oct-Dec) - Profit of over 450 million US

Barozi said:

Nintendo reports shipped, we report sold.

Read my post for a possible explanation. It seems clear though that even with digital numbers, the bolded games would never double their sales and even if they did it would only account for 1m, so that certainly would not be the answer.

Don't all of the Big Three report shipped, now?

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
Barozi said:

Nintendo reports shipped, we report sold.

Read my post for a possible explanation. It seems clear though that even with digital numbers, the bolded games would never double their sales and even if they did it would only account for 1m, so that certainly would not be the answer.

Don't all of the Big Three report shipped, now?

I think I have heard that Nintendo used to report sold to customers, no ?
I don't remember, I just wanted to point out that all these numbers (HW and SW) look like they were shipped. But yes AFAIK all manufacturers report shipped.

Barozi said:

I don't remember, I just wanted to point out that all these numbers (HW and SW) look like they were shipped. But yes AFAIK all manufacturers report shipped.

I was hearing that, too. Not sure if it's true, however.

What is AFAIK?

NintendoPie said:
Barozi said:

I was hearing that, too. Not sure if it's true, however.

What is AFAIK?

as far as I know

NintendoPie said:
Train wreck said:

Nintendo has a odd way of reporting stuff, they consolidate their number on a ongoing basis.
Here is the quarter over quarter change:

for Q3 Nintendo had:

total sales of 342 billion yen (3.76 billion dollars)
operating income of 23 billion yen (252 million)
net income of 42.5 billion yen (461 million)

Last year for the same period

total sales 340 Billion yen

operating income of 40.9 billion yen

net income of 21.9

Those are quite nice numbers, to be honest.

Yes and no.

They technically are up through three quarters in net income, but they are still forecasting an operating loss of $220 million for the full fiscal year.

Meaning their game business still is not technically profitable, the reason they will be able to break even (barely) this year is because of the yen shifting into a more positive position. Has nothing to do with their game division growing. 

Also they slashed forecasts for basically all their hardware and software quite significantly.

It's one of those "could've been worse" scenarios, but yeah, hopefully they are learning a lesson or two without getting burned too badly. The stock price is not likely to be pretty today in Japan.

Around the Network
Barozi said:

You heard wrong.  All three report shipped numbers.  The only one who didn't was sony pre-2006.  They reported manufactured numbers.

Soundwave said:

Yes and no.

They technically are up through three quarters in net income, but they are still forecasting an operating loss of $220 million for the full fiscal year.

Meaning their game business still is not technically profitable, the reason they will be able to break even (barely) this year is because of the yen shifting into a more positive position. Has nothing to do with their game division growing. 

Also they slashed forecasts for basically all their hardware and software quite significantly.

It's one of those "could've been worse" scenarios, but yeah, hopefully they are learning a lesson or two without getting burned too badly. The stock price is not likely to be pretty today in Japan.

Yeah, I noticed that their Operating Income was down. But that was really the only thing, everything else on that list was up and hopefully the OI will follow suit. 

And I noticed that they decreased their predictions. Some were pretty crazy in the first place.

Yakuzaice said:
Barozi said:

You heard wrong.  All three report shipped numbers.  The only one who didn't was sony pre-2006.  They reported manufactured numbers.

Never really bothered with the Nintendo reports before, so thanks for the info.

Soundwave said:
NintendoPie said:
Train wreck said:

Nintendo has a odd way of reporting stuff, they consolidate their number on a ongoing basis.
Here is the quarter over quarter change:

for Q3 Nintendo had:

total sales of 342 billion yen (3.76 billion dollars)
operating income of 23 billion yen (252 million)
net income of 42.5 billion yen (461 million)

Last year for the same period

total sales 340 Billion yen

operating income of 40.9 billion yen

net income of 21.9

Those are quite nice numbers, to be honest.

Yes and no.

The stock is down to '04 levels here, last I checked.

Have some time to kill? Read my shitty games blog. http://www.pixlbit.com/blogs/586/gigantor21

:D

NintendoPie said:
Soundwave said:

Yes and no.

Yeah, I noticed that their Operating Income was down. But that was really the only thing, everything else on that list was up and hopefully the OI will follow suit. 

And I noticed that they decreased their predictions. Some were pretty crazy in the first place.

Their projections are based largely I think on the 3DS and Wii U performing like the DS and Wii. I think they were hoping with more inventory the Wii U could keep up with the Wii for a little while at least, which was heavily supply constrained in 2006/2007.

What's actually probably happening is Nintendo is reverting back to the what they were when the pre-casual gaming craze bubble happened. So the Wii U/3DS are actually performing more like the GameCube and Game Boy Advance with that casual Nintendogs/Wii Sports/Brain Training bubble having popped.

Nintendo's basically gone back in a time warp to 2002. The 4 million shipped projection for Wii U for example is basically very much in line with the GameCube through its first March in 2002, which shipped 3.8 million I believe. Basically a wash, both are well below the Wii which shipped about 6 million in the same time frame (and was heavily supply constrained at that).