By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Those who bought DMC at launch: Why?

I'm a ninja theory fan since heavenly sword

Around the Network
ps3-sales! said:
naruball said:
I'm sorry, man, but seriously, what kind of question is that? Why did anyone buy God of War 3 or Darksiders or Heavenly Sword or Dante's Inferno? If we've reached the point where multiplayer is a must for a day one purchase/full price game, then count me out.

Most of us grew up playing single player games which were significantly shorter than DMC. I played Castlevania on nes a year ago and managed to beat it in like 2 hours. Were we getting ripped off all along?

I was using Dmc as an example but the game question goes for any of those short, single player only games. And you're leaving out a major thing here. Where any of those games you grew up on $60???? Didn't think so. Not everyone is made of money to buy launch games for $60 that only give you a limited amount of playing time. The game doesn't have to have include multiplayer. But when you have the option of buying Dmc or Ni no Kuni for $60, one offering 12 hours vs 45+ hours of entertainment, I'm going with Ni No kuni. Same thing goes with most games vs Cod/Skyrim. 

But again, Nes games were not $60 when they launched. I doubt they were more than $40.

I almost never buy any games at launch. I think $60 is ridiculously high. But I'm not arguing against the price, but against the point you raised that it doesn't have multiplayer. All I'm saying is so freaking what? Some games shouldn't have multiplayer, because it makes no sense.

I may be wrong, but I read in another thread that with inflation games like Castlevania DID cost around $60. Nowadays, they have higher developing costs anyway, so the bump in price is justified.

Ni No Kuni is a completely different genre. How many hack and slash games last over 15 hours? What if you're a big fan of that genre?

Also, someone who wants to play Ni No Kuni can also wait for a price cut. I know I am, since I don't have the funds (though it's one of my most highly anticipated games ever!).

Then again, why buy Ni No Kuni, when you can buy Guild Wars 2 for less? (following your logic).

DMC simply put offers a completely different experience than Ni no Kuni, so I don't see how you'd think someone who buys it is "made of mulah".

I could ask the same thing about uncharted. Or essentially every PS3 exclusive. Particularly if you don't like multiplayer

I didn't pick up either though.

naruball said:
ps3-sales! said:
naruball said:
I'm sorry, man, but seriously, what kind of question is that? Why did anyone buy God of War 3 or Darksiders or Heavenly Sword or Dante's Inferno? If we've reached the point where multiplayer is a must for a day one purchase/full price game, then count me out.

Most of us grew up playing single player games which were significantly shorter than DMC. I played Castlevania on nes a year ago and managed to beat it in like 2 hours. Were we getting ripped off all along?

I was using Dmc as an example but the game question goes for any of those short, single player only games. And you're leaving out a major thing here. Where any of those games you grew up on $60???? Didn't think so. Not everyone is made of money to buy launch games for $60 that only give you a limited amount of playing time. The game doesn't have to have include multiplayer. But when you have the option of buying Dmc or Ni no Kuni for $60, one offering 12 hours vs 45+ hours of entertainment, I'm going with Ni No kuni. Same thing goes with most games vs Cod/Skyrim. 

But again, Nes games were not $60 when they launched. I doubt they were more than $40.

I almost never buy any games at launch. I think $60 is ridiculously high. But I'm not arguing against the price, but against the point you raised that it doesn't have multiplayer. All I'm saying is so freaking what? Some games shouldn't have multiplayer, because it makes no sense.

I may be wrong, but I read in another thread that with inflation games like Castlevania DID cost around $60. Nowadays, they have higher developing costs anyway, so the bump in price is justified.

Ni No Kuni is a completely different genre. How many hack and slash games last over 15 hours? What if you're a big fan of that genre?

Also, someone who wants to play Ni No Kuni can also wait for a price cut. I know I am, since I don't have the funds (though it's one of my most highly anticipated games ever!).

Then again, why buy Ni No Kuni, when you can buy Guild Wars 2 for less? (following your logic).

DMC simply put offers a completely different experience than Ni no Kuni, so I don't see how you'd think someone who buys it is "made of mulah.

Again, I'm not saying games have to include multiplayer. On the contrary; I can't stand when developers tack on multiplayer in games that have no business in the online market *cough Tomb Raider/Dead Space 3 cough*. But still, you have to look at the price for such little time gaming. Why does any person spend $60 at launch for Dmc? They obviously don't know how much the game will last. You can wait a couple weeks and get it on Amazon for $20 cheaper usually. All I'm saying is I don't understand why you'd essentially trade $60 for a 12 hour playthrough of Dmc with little replayability, and not sell back the game. It doesn't seem logical to me. 

It does look like a great game though, I'm not knocking the actual game, just games with similar play times and low replayability. As for Guild Wars 2, I can't run it on my horrible Laptop nor am I very successful with large MMO's after Runescape lolol.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

kain_kusanagi said:
I don't know if DMC is 12 hours long or not, but I'm going to use that number anyway.

**Collect Amazon Prices**

1.53 hr (92 min) Taken 2 - $13

12 hr (720 min) DMC - $60

****Magical Math Calculator****

Movie = $0.14 per minute

Game = $.08 per minute

** How about in hours?**

Movie = $8 per hour

Game = $5 per hour

If my rust arithmetic is right, and I hope I'm not too tired and made a bone head mistake, it looks to me like DMC is a better value than Taken 2. It should be noted that the list price of Taken 2 is $39.99, but Amazon set it's price to $13.

In what world is Taken 2 $40?!?!?! And why would you buy either of these for those set prices??? The smart consumer would do a little research and scope out how much he's getting for his money, therefore renting both and saving a ton. I guess not every gamer/consumer is as frugle with their fincances.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

Around the Network

I don't want to step onto JayWood's territory but are we already talking about a flop ?

In japan, during the same time period as DMC 4, DmC sold half as much* (on the PS3 alone, far worse on the 360)
In the UK, during the same time period as DMC 4, DmC sold just one third what DMC 4 did.

Note the absence of any other major title launching at the same time.

*While DMC 4 and DmC pre sales were the same, meaning Capcom failed to attract their goal, the casuals.

To this day:

DMC HD Collection: 0.74 m

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/01/25/dmc-devil-may-cry-may-have-failed-to-attract-casual-fans-in-japan/
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-21-uk-chart-dmc-devil-may-cry-horns-its-way-to-top-spot
http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=devil+may+cry+hd

ps3-sales! said:

In what world is Taken 2 $40?!?!?! And why would you buy either of these for those set prices??? The smart consumer would do a little research and scope out how much he's getting for his money, therefore renting both and saving a ton. I guess not every gamer/consumer is as frugle with their fincances.

If your problem is with people not doing research to find the best possible deal when buying games (or any other piece of entertainment) why are you singling DMC out?

DigitalDevilSummoner said:

I don't want to step onto JayWood's territory but are we already talking about a flop ?

In japan, during the same time period as DMC 4, DmC sold half as much* (on the PS3 alone, far worse on the 360)
In the UK, during the same time period as DMC 4, DmC sold just one third what DMC 4 did.

Note the absence of any other major title launching at the same time.

*While DMC 4 and DmC pre sales were the same, meaning Capcom failed to attract their goal, the casuals.

To this day:

DMC HD Collection: 0.74 m

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/01/25/dmc-devil-may-cry-may-have-failed-to-attract-casual-fans-in-japan/
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-21-uk-chart-dmc-devil-may-cry-horns-its-way-to-top-spot
http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=devil+may+cry+hd

To be a bit fair, Dmc is clearly more western influenced than DMC 4. With that said I don't think it'll sell well.

Currently own:

• Ps4

It is like buying Bioshock 1 over CoD. Bioshock is just that awesome in 8 hours vs CoD 100+ hours.

ps3-sales! said:

Are you people made of mulah??? Honestly. This is no more than a 12 hour game. WIth no multiplayer, a linear story, limited unlocks, why would you pay $60 (or whatever in other currencies) for DMC? Are you planning to resell it? I want to know because I'm a member of a local gamestore that offers unlimited 1 game at a time rentals, for just $10 a month. I rented DMC last week and I'm already 6-7 hours in and I don't really see myself playing this game over and over again in the future. 

Also what are your thoughts on launch games that contain no multiplayer/high replayability? Do you still buy them at launch prices or rent/buy used?

I've already conducted a study on this. 10-12 hour Action adventure games would would not exist without legitimate sales. DMC is a great game and the devs deserve the money to tweak it and bring a whole new experience next time. If you don't like the franchise or the devs I can completely understand by passing them and just going for the quick gameplay grab, but then again this is why they are taking all our rights from us. 

From my study the highest rise to peak results cant from the 10-12 all the way up to 21+ hours. This means ten hours is the shortest a $60 game can be to an audience.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=152019

P.S.

Its funny that your name is PS3 sales because if a lot of these single player experiences that last 10-12 hours on the PS3 werent supported Sony would be in deep shit. I'll admit more than anyone that the 360 has the PS3 dead beat on multiplayer games that have long replay value with Gears and Halo. Sony needs to find theirs.