By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Those who bought DMC at launch: Why?

flagstaad said:
There are many reasons to buy a short/single player game at launch, you may be surprised but people can have more fun in those 10 hours of killing monsters using their great reflexes than grinding 50+ hours through a RPG, or trying to get a kill streak on a multiplayer game. And if they don't support the kind of games they love and have fun with, companies will just not do them anymore.

Yes, not all people can afford to buy short games because they have to take advantage of their small entertainment budget, but the people who can do it, will do it gladly if that means having fun and getting more at a later date.

you nailed it, i buy games like this all the time as i never want these type of games to go away. For example the darkness 2 i loved but was really short didnt stop me from paying full price as was worth it to me, plus played through a few times for trophies 

Around the Network
ps3-sales! said:
kain_kusanagi said:
I don't know if DMC is 12 hours long or not, but I'm going to use that number anyway.

**Collect Amazon Prices**

1.53 hr (92 min) Taken 2 - $13

12 hr (720 min) DMC - $60

****Magical Math Calculator****

Movie = $0.14 per minute

Game = $.08 per minute

** How about in hours?**

Movie = $8 per hour

Game = $5 per hour

If my rust arithmetic is right, and I hope I'm not too tired and made a bone head mistake, it looks to me like DMC is a better value than Taken 2. It should be noted that the list price of Taken 2 is $39.99, but Amazon set it's price to $13.

In what world is Taken 2 $40?!?!?! And why would you buy either of these for those set prices??? The smart consumer would do a little research and scope out how much he's getting for his money, therefore renting both and saving a ton. I guess not every gamer/consumer is as frugle with their fincances.

You completely missed my point. I was pointing out that a $13 movie has less value than a $60 game based on the cost to time. You complained that $60 is too much for 12 hours of DMC, but few people complain that $13 is too much for a 1.5hr movie. That's my point. You are getting more for your dollar with DMC. 12 hours is pretty long and as an adult with a job I rarely play 60+ hrs RPG anymore and when I do I almost never finish them. I'd rather play a 12hr game that I fully enjoy for those 12hrs than a 60+ grind fest with filler battles and quests to stretch it out beyond what it needed to be.

Halo 4 is my favorite game of 2012 and it was about 10-12hrs plus Spartan Ops. I don't play multiplayer so I'm not including it. I played Halo 4 straight through on heroic and then I played Spartan Ops and then I played it on Legendary inbetween new episodes of Spartan ops. The game is so good that it's reletively short length just means I can play it again without devoting my life to it. That's what's nice about short games. My favorite RPG is Panzer Dragoon Saga, it's also the shortest RPG I've played. I also love the Mass Effect games and for RPGs they are pretty short too.

If DMC was 24 hours long would you buy it? How about if it was 60 hours long? Are you sure all those hours would be as good as the 12 it really is?

Movies are pretty short and people rewatch them countless times. Short games get replayed. But do long games get played once and then never picked up again. Hardcore RPG fans may replay Final Fantasy 7 every year, but I played it once, enjoyed it, and have no idea where I'd ever find the time to replay it today even if I wanted to.

I actualy felt that Zelda Skyward Sword was too long. It was a good game, but it felt about twice as long as it needed to be. The second half of the game felt like a rehash of the first half. I finished it and enjoyed the story, but I don't think I'll replay it anytime soon.

I'd rather pay $60 for a great 12 hour experience than for a long game I quit after 12 hours.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
ps3-sales! said:

Are you people made of mulah??? Honestly. This is no more than a 12 hour game. WIth no multiplayer, a linear story, limited unlocks, why would you pay $60 (or whatever in other currencies) for DMC? Are you planning to resell it? I want to know because I'm a member of a local gamestore that offers unlimited 1 game at a time rentals, for just $10 a month. I rented DMC last week and I'm already 6-7 hours in and I don't really see myself playing this game over and over again in the future.

Also what are your thoughts on launch games that contain no multiplayer/high replayability? Do you still buy them at launch prices or rent/buy used?

I've already conducted a study on this. 10-12 hour Action adventure games would would not exist without legitimate sales. DMC is a great game and the devs deserve the money to tweak it and bring a whole new experience next time. If you don't like the franchise or the devs I can completely understand by passing them and just going for the quick gameplay grab, but then again this is why they are taking all our rights from us.

From my study the highest rise to peak results cant from the 10-12 all the way up to 21+ hours. This means ten hours is the shortest a $60 game can be to an audience.

first of all you are ignoring the fact that the 12 hours is purely his guess and the game is reported to be less than 10 hours

http://howlongtobeat.com/gamebreakdown.php?gameid=7983

secondly you are conviniently ingoring the Bayonetta comparison. the problem is not the length itself but the game value as a whole

what ps3-sales! is saying is the same thing a lot of people felt while playing the game: there is barely any replay value or need to master the gameplay or antyhing at all

Why is mulitplayer or non-linear a benefit per se? I had to grind through some multiplayer to get some Platinum trophies and through all this years of the PS3 I still have the feeling that almost every multiplayer is the same old game with just a minor tweak. Ok, you can play multiplayer modes until they shut down the server. But why should I suppose that all these hours are being fun? For me, I am done with multiplayer. There is absolutely no fun left and with games like Tomb Raider or God of War 4, which I would have bought anyway I am now having doubts if they are worth it now. Competitive online multiplayer has become a big letdown.

For the developer, it is a great thing. You can just make use of the EA business model. Offering yearly sequels with almost no change... and instead of putting much work in creating a serious story, characters and worlds you can just ignore that all. A online multiplayer game has no need of a narrative. It's the "scripted reality" version of a computer game. Cheap to make and not offering much depth.

The same goes with linearity. Pretty much all games that I remember from the last 15 years were games with a strong linear story. I can tell you many details about them and I still know what they were about. Sandbox games however offer not much depth, just gameplay. What was Nico Bellic actually doing in Liberty City. Why was your character even in Prison at the start of the game in Oblivion? You just can't tell a thrilling story in a non-linear game...

So to answer your question. I buy these sort of games BECAUSE they are linear singleplayer games lasting "only" 10 hours. A game should end before it gets repetitive and without a strong story like in a JRPG it just won't last 20-30 hours. Heavenly Sword is among one of the best games that I bought in this generation.

Why not? each 2 there own mate.

Check out my Youtube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePSXcollector

Around the Network
DigitalDevilSummoner said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
ps3-sales! said:

Are you people made of mulah??? Honestly. This is no more than a 12 hour game. WIth no multiplayer, a linear story, limited unlocks, why would you pay $60 (or whatever in other currencies) for DMC? Are you planning to resell it? I want to know because I'm a member of a local gamestore that offers unlimited 1 game at a time rentals, for just $10 a month. I rented DMC last week and I'm already 6-7 hours in and I don't really see myself playing this game over and over again in the future.

Also what are your thoughts on launch games that contain no multiplayer/high replayability? Do you still buy them at launch prices or rent/buy used?

I've already conducted a study on this. 10-12 hour Action adventure games would would not exist without legitimate sales. DMC is a great game and the devs deserve the money to tweak it and bring a whole new experience next time. If you don't like the franchise or the devs I can completely understand by passing them and just going for the quick gameplay grab, but then again this is why they are taking all our rights from us.

From my study the highest rise to peak results cant from the 10-12 all the way up to 21+ hours. This means ten hours is the shortest a $60 game can be to an audience.

first of all you are ignoring the fact that the 12 hours is purely his guess and the game is reported to be less than 10 hours

http://howlongtobeat.com/gamebreakdown.php?gameid=7983

secondly you are conviniently ingoring the Bayonetta comparison. the problem is not the length itself but the game value as a whole

what ps3-sales! is saying is the same thing a lot of people felt while playing the game: there is barely any replay value or need to master the gameplay or antyhing at all

Twelve hours is an educated guess, because the majority of action adventure games have been between 10-12 hours. Look at my edited post (which you responded to) to see my link to the survey I took on this site about peoples value for satisfaction based on hours spent in single player experiences. I just added it, I don't think you completely understand my point.

DigitalDevilSummoner said:

they are the people who accuse us original DMC fans for disliking DmC because of the "hair" and ironically they like the game because of the stylistic approach

in other words they are fanboys of that punk/hispter look of DmC

I doubt there are many fanboys of Dantes new hairstyle or his punk look.

ps3-sales! said:

Again, I'm not saying games have to include multiplayer. On the contrary; I can't stand when developers tack on multiplayer in games that have no business in the online market *cough Tomb Raider/Dead Space 3 cough*. But still, you have to look at the price for such little time gaming. Why does any person spend $60 at launch for Dmc? They obviously don't know how much the game will last. You can wait a couple weeks and get it on Amazon for $20 cheaper usually. All I'm saying is I don't understand why you'd essentially trade $60 for a 12 hour playthrough of Dmc with little replayability, and not sell back the game. It doesn't seem logical to me. 

It does look like a great game though, I'm not knocking the actual game, just games with similar play times and low replayability. As for Guild Wars 2, I can't run it on my horrible Laptop nor am I very successful with large MMO's after Runescape lolol.

Different people, diffrent tastes. Some play 2 hours a day and might need a week or two to beat DMC. That's more than enough gameplay for them. The same people might hate long games and not play ninokuni, because they don't have that much time and it would require months of their gameplay. I, for example, never managed to beat Eternal Sonata, an absolutely superb game, because it was too long for me. Same with persona 4. I'm not playing it any time soon, as i only have a few hours a week to game and it's gonna affect my studying time.

Number of hours simply doesn't matter to some people. It's like a quality vs quantity argument. I still don't see how getting say Ninokuni or Uncharted 1 or 2 on launch day is any better than buying DMC. Now, if you were arguing why buy games at launch instead of waiting a few weeks for massive price cuts, I'd totally agree with you (though there are exceptions. e.g. all your friends buying COD day one, getting a niche title early on before the online community is non existent etc).

God Of War, Heavenly Sword and the majority of this gens games can be beaten in mere hours, so what does the OP have to say about that?

This is generally my attitude towards every new release.

There are so many games being released, and they drop in price so fast, why pay more than $20. But hey, somebody has to support developers, so thank you.