By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Vote: Top 5 New IP's of the generation

@ronster

Imo U:DF compared to U2 is a night and day difference. U:DF was hyped. Then I played it and I was pretty underwhelmed, mainly with the somewhat boring gameplay. The twist is the main thing that redeemed the game for me.

Uncharted 2 is one of my all time favorite games tho. That's all ill say. Just give it a try; but still go into it with no expectations.

Around the Network

@ pitzy

I will go in to Uncharted 2 with an open mind and a pinch of low expectations (however,a 96 meta shows there must be lots of potential there)

I enjoyed the beginning of Uncharted 1 on the boat, lots of action and sooooooooo vibrant looking, crystal clear daylight & ocean, the game unquestionably looks beautiful.

The jungle setting was a little overused i would say though, but based on testing the first 45 minutes of Uncharted 2, it appears as though theres a lot more variety in the enviroments.

1. Mass Effect
2. Uncharted
3. Assassin's Creed
4. Souls Series
5. Valkyria Chronicles

Though there are a ton of note worthy new IP's this gen: Dragon Age, Borderlands, Portal, Batman Arkham games, thatgamecompany games, Resistance, Infamous, Prototype, Mirror's Edge, Heavy Rain, Vanquish, Binary Domain, Catherine, Gravity Daze, Dishonored and Chivalry: Medieval Warfare (more people need to play this) are what i can name off the top of my head + more that I have yet to play but know are top notch like Gears of War. Ni no Kuni would probably take the number one spot right now if it was a series, Having so much fun right now and I'm only 10 hrs in.

1) Gears Of War
2) Mass Effect
3) Assassin's Creed
4) Arkham Series
5) L.A Noire

1. Gears of War

2. Borderlands

3. Wii Sports

4. Dragon Age

5. Xenoblade

Around the Network

1) Souls Series (Dark Souls & Demons Souls)
2) Heavy Rain
3) Uncharted (1, 2 & 3)
4) Dragon Age: Origins
5) Dead Space (1 & 2 so far)

1. Mass Effect - such a magical series, the writing and atmosphere completely sucked me in for something I haven't experienced before in games
2. Assassin's Creed - AC1 was great but AC2 was fantastic all around. AC3 is pretty good so far
3. Uncharted - great storytelling, gameplay, and visuals.
4. Rock Band - the best offline multiplayer new IP this gen
5. Infamous - I still think both games are underrated. The framerate they were able to get with I2 is incredible with everything happened on screen. Story is good but could be better, but the gameplay is great and unique.

Honorable mentions: Bioshock, Littlebigplanet, Resistance

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

JayWood2010 said:
bananaking21 said:

WALL OF TEXT

I'll admit that that was an amazing response regardless of how late it was :P lol  You put a lot of thought into it and I appreciate that.  i sadly don't have that long of a response in me today lol  You mention the 200 rewards, the voice acting, and animations mostly.  From my point of view the biggest thing that Uncharted brought to the table was not the animations, or the voice acting.  It was the way it is played out like a action movie.  As I've stated before though, this was already being introduced to the industry before Uncharted (2) though.  I put the 2 there because that is the one that got people's attention.

Uncharted 2 came out on Oct 13th 2009

All these games came out before it which also had the same approach in making it like a movie.

Gears of War - 2006

Gears of War 2 -2008

Grand Theft Auto IV -  2008

Modern Warfare 2 only came out a month afterwards 

Modern Warfare 2 has the same exact approach as far as an action movie but the story being played out while actually playing the game, where characters talk to each other, stop and do animations etc was already done in the first gears of war in 2009.  Im sure im missing a bunch of games but those was the three that came to my mind.

As far as animations go, that hasnt really carried into different games.  That is an advancement of technology, not anything new.  Just like in 10 years uncharted 3 and gears of war will look mediocre compared to games in 10 years.  Some games go with fully animations like Far Cry and that was emphasized in far cry 2 which came out in 2008.  If you are saying that Unchared has influenced the industry then bring up examples of games that has been using things that it has?

Think of all the games that use a cover base system like gears now, inluding uncharted.  Think of all the games that are adding coop gameplay like horde, or revives to stay in the game.  Think of how many people are chaning the camera around and how people are running, rolling, etc.

Uncharted made a footprint in gaming forever, but not because it has changed gameplay its self, but because there is little to nothing that is as good as uncharted.  That 200 rewards was given because it was a spectacular game.

EDIT:  In other words gears influenced gameplay.  you arent mentioning anything to do with gameplay. But instead animations etc which have already been in the industry

You mention Movie and list a few games yet no Metal Gear Solid 4? What the fuck? XD

bananaking21 said:
JayWood2010 said:
bananaking21 said:
JayWood2010 said:
bananaking21 said:
JayWood2010 said:

i was already starting reading some articles to make a thread about this (uncharted 2's influence and not comparing it too gears) so i dont have remember/know everything it did. but it did change alot

Animation (facial and body animations)

technology

level desgin (this is related alot to the technology aspect)

Cinematics, yes i understand that gears had cinematics. a lot of games has them too before (god of war for example) but uncharted2/3 just brought them to a hole new level

charecter development 

story telling 

graphics

im not downplaying gears, it certainly had a big splash and infleunce, but i see uncharted did effect the indusrty more. even long succesful series like tomb raider and even resident evil had been influenced by uncharted

Story telling has been here for years and years and that is nothing new, same thing with graphics.  Level design also was not influential what so ever? In fact everything you said was not transferred to other games?  I have never disagreed with you in this way and it surprises me to see you come up with a poor list like this.

i didnt say it came up with something new in those points, but i ment it changed/did them in a way that really wanst done before in that level of quality, i can explain my points but i didnt want to derail your thread (and possibaly start a flame war) 

in

Let me put it this way.

Gears already had story development

It already had the graphics

It alread had animations

It  had cinimatics

And it had story telling.

Uncharted didnt really do anything new.  It just perfected the cinimatic experience which is a series of development over time.  Gears literally changed TPS games and brought Hoarde mode which is now seen on many games.  As i said before without gears many games would not be the same as they are now and that even includes Uncharted.  

EDIT: And don't worry about a flamewar.  Consider this a debate rather than an argument.  

WALL OF TEXT

Holy shit mate <3

I'm only going to list franchises with 2+ games I enjoyed.

1. Bioshock

2. Left 4 Dead

3. Professor Layton

4. Portal

5. Saints Row