By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Vote: Top 5 New IP's of the generation

1. Portal

2. Little Big Planet

3. Professor Layton

4. Dragon Age: Origins

5. Journey (That Game Company's three title progression really)

HMs: Saint's Row, Heavy Rain, Mirror's Edge, Assassin's Creed, Wii Sports, Uncharted, Mass Effect, Batman: Arkham, and others I am just forgetting at the moment.

----------

Titles that could make a difference in 2013
1. Ni No Kuni
2. Last of Us
3. Beyond

Around the Network
Aldro said:
bananaking21 said:
JayWood2010 said:
bananaking21 said:
JayWood2010 said:
bananaking21 said:
JayWood2010 said:

i was already starting reading some articles to make a thread about this (uncharted 2's influence and not comparing it too gears) so i dont have remember/know everything it did. but it did change alot

Animation (facial and body animations)

technology

level desgin (this is related alot to the technology aspect)

Cinematics, yes i understand that gears had cinematics. a lot of games has them too before (god of war for example) but uncharted2/3 just brought them to a hole new level

charecter development 

story telling 

graphics

im not downplaying gears, it certainly had a big splash and infleunce, but i see uncharted did effect the indusrty more. even long succesful series like tomb raider and even resident evil had been influenced by uncharted

Story telling has been here for years and years and that is nothing new, same thing with graphics.  Level design also was not influential what so ever? In fact everything you said was not transferred to other games?  I have never disagreed with you in this way and it surprises me to see you come up with a poor list like this.

i didnt say it came up with something new in those points, but i ment it changed/did them in a way that really wanst done before in that level of quality, i can explain my points but i didnt want to derail your thread (and possibaly start a flame war) 

in

Let me put it this way.

Gears already had story development

It already had the graphics

It alread had animations

It  had cinimatics

And it had story telling.

Uncharted didnt really do anything new.  It just perfected the cinimatic experience which is a series of development over time.  Gears literally changed TPS games and brought Hoarde mode which is now seen on many games.  As i said before without gears many games would not be the same as they are now and that even includes Uncharted.  

EDIT: And don't worry about a flamewar.  Consider this a debate rather than an argument.  

WALL OF TEXT

Holy shit mate <3

haha what do you think of what i said?

bananaking21 said:
Aldro said:
bananaking21 said:
JayWood2010 said:
bananaking21 said:
JayWood2010 said:
bananaking21 said:
JayWood2010 said:

i was already starting reading some articles to make a thread about this (uncharted 2's influence and not comparing it too gears) so i dont have remember/know everything it did. but it did change alot

Animation (facial and body animations)

technology

level desgin (this is related alot to the technology aspect)

Cinematics, yes i understand that gears had cinematics. a lot of games has them too before (god of war for example) but uncharted2/3 just brought them to a hole new level

charecter development 

story telling 

graphics

im not downplaying gears, it certainly had a big splash and infleunce, but i see uncharted did effect the indusrty more. even long succesful series like tomb raider and even resident evil had been influenced by uncharted

Story telling has been here for years and years and that is nothing new, same thing with graphics.  Level design also was not influential what so ever? In fact everything you said was not transferred to other games?  I have never disagreed with you in this way and it surprises me to see you come up with a poor list like this.

i didnt say it came up with something new in those points, but i ment it changed/did them in a way that really wanst done before in that level of quality, i can explain my points but i didnt want to derail your thread (and possibaly start a flame war) 

in

Let me put it this way.

Gears already had story development

It already had the graphics

It alread had animations

It  had cinimatics

And it had story telling.

Uncharted didnt really do anything new.  It just perfected the cinimatic experience which is a series of development over time.  Gears literally changed TPS games and brought Hoarde mode which is now seen on many games.  As i said before without gears many games would not be the same as they are now and that even includes Uncharted.  

EDIT: And don't worry about a flamewar.  Consider this a debate rather than an argument.  

WALL OF TEXT

Holy shit mate <3

haha what do you think of what i said?

I dont even know where to begin. Ill keep it short: Sent shivers down my spine :')

Aldro said:

You mention Movie and list a few games yet no Metal Gear Solid 4? What the fuck? XD

lol forgot about that one which is surprising since it is one of my all time favs lol  But yes my point was cinimatics is hardly knew and to credit them sounds like crap to me.  People might be huge fans of uncharted but dont give them credit for things they did not do.

1 . Gears of War
2. Minecraft
3. Borderlands
4. Portal
5. Mass Effect

Wii FC: 6440 8298 7583 0720   XBOX GT: WICK1978               PSN: its_the_wick   3DS: 1676-3747-7846                                          Nintendo Network: its-the-wick

Systems I've owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, GBColor, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, GBAdvance, DSlite, PSP, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, 3DS, PSVita, PS4, 3DS XL, Wii U

The best quote I've seen this year:

Angelus said: I'm a moron

Around the Network
wick said:
1 . Gears of War
2. Minecraft
3. Borderlands
4. Portal
5. Mass Effect

ehh i hate your sig!  I thought it was real  lol

JayWood2010 said:
bananaking21 said:

as i said at the start i didnt really know how to write it down lol animations are not the main points i was trying to say, if i overstated it or over used it it was a failure on my part. i didnt even want to make the thing longer, my point was not about how good the animation was, but how it was used and how everything blend together. and as i said it uncharted changed how games are made from the get go, how technology will be used. 

im not denying gears didnt influence uncharted it did, it influenced alot of games as well. but i would like to point out that using the right anolog stick to change camera wasnt something new. wasnt it used in halo CE? even though the genre is different its the same concept, i think more credit should go to bungie/halo for that than gears.

as for modern warefare2, i understand that they aimed for the cintematic experience too, but it just looks silly compared to uncharted. the story telling/story characters/set pieces are really nothing compared to uncharted, specially 2 and 3. MW2's strenght is its awesome online. and as i said its not that uncharted did it first its how everything blends in together that makes it so unique.

lol the 200 game of the year awards is just something i said out of ecxitment, i really dont think thats the reason it has an influence, a game doesnt need game of the year awards to be influencial 

What do you mean the right anolog stick changing the camera?  When i said camera view I mean the over the shoulder TPS view, the way the camera would shake as you ran etc lol Halo shaped FPS on consoles no doubt about that.

You mention that MW2's cinimatic approach wasnt as good and I agree.  I was just showing you that games had already been doing that all generation.  And really who does it as good as uncharted?  None that I can think of really.  

I mean we literally see 1 out of every three games use things from Gears and Call of Duty this generation.  Which is why those games come up a lot in these topics.  Uncharted wouldnt even be the same without gears and as much as I love uncharted the mechanics and gameplay from a coversystem and shooting mechanics was superior on gears, which has always been a common complaint among many gamers.  You are right though that Uncharted has the perfect blend of Cinimatics, platforming, puzzles, and TPS in it, but what other games follows this route?  What games uses the mechanics that Uncharted used or created?  That is what I've been asking because i cant think of any.  Uncharted is a lot like Tomb Raider and now Tomb Raider is a lot like uncharted so yes the new tomb raider looks to be influenced by uncharted but beyond that what other game has been influenced by uncharted?  I mean I can thank of a ton that uses the features made popular by gears and CoD this generation including Uncharted.  So if you can explain to me with example and other games then ill agree with you if that is fair? 

its really not about agreeing with me, its just that alot of people said uncharted inclduing my self had a lot of influence and i just wanted to explain why, after all this is a matter of opinion, it what you see as more influencial and more important. the perspitive of the camera in gears of war or the centamtic approach in uncharted for example, whats more important? what changed games more? it comes down to a matter of opinion

also i would like to point out that not just tomb raider was effected by uncharted because they have a similar art style, thats like saying gears only effected sci-fi shooters. the way that uncharted influenced other games cant really be seen directly like gears's. honestly games like assasins creed started adding these centimatic moments and trying to blend them in with gameplay like uncharted, so did resident evil6. have you played max payne3? remember that level where the building collapses? does the way it was made remind you of anything? alot of action games now have changed because of uncharted, the way they are made, people can argue that uncharted didnt effect them and had nothing to do with them, after all its all down to a matter of opinion. 

i think i said in my first post than uncharteds influence will still come in games to come in the future, the DOTS system opened doors in game development that other developers clearely didnt catch up with (with the exception of sony santa monica with GoW3, cronos boss fight to be more exact). uncharted did stuff that developers still didnt think that was possible, and were going to start seeing it in future games (hopefully!) like platformers,TPS, FPS, hack and slash because really it would benifit from it alot, developers just need the time to catch up with naughty dogs tech.

but as i said, its just a matter of opinion and what you see is more important and what changed the most is down to you, i just wanted to explain peoples point of view about uncharted even though i bet a lot of people didnt know about half the stuff i said

bananaking21 said:
JayWood2010 said:
bananaking21 said:

as i said at the start i didnt really know how to write it down lol animations are not the main points i was trying to say, if i overstated it or over used it it was a failure on my part. i didnt even want to make the thing longer, my point was not about how good the animation was, but how it was used and how everything blend together. and as i said it uncharted changed how games are made from the get go, how technology will be used. 

im not denying gears didnt influence uncharted it did, it influenced alot of games as well. but i would like to point out that using the right anolog stick to change camera wasnt something new. wasnt it used in halo CE? even though the genre is different its the same concept, i think more credit should go to bungie/halo for that than gears.

as for modern warefare2, i understand that they aimed for the cintematic experience too, but it just looks silly compared to uncharted. the story telling/story characters/set pieces are really nothing compared to uncharted, specially 2 and 3. MW2's strenght is its awesome online. and as i said its not that uncharted did it first its how everything blends in together that makes it so unique.

lol the 200 game of the year awards is just something i said out of ecxitment, i really dont think thats the reason it has an influence, a game doesnt need game of the year awards to be influencial 

What do you mean the right anolog stick changing the camera?  When i said camera view I mean the over the shoulder TPS view, the way the camera would shake as you ran etc lol Halo shaped FPS on consoles no doubt about that.

You mention that MW2's cinimatic approach wasnt as good and I agree.  I was just showing you that games had already been doing that all generation.  And really who does it as good as uncharted?  None that I can think of really.  

I mean we literally see 1 out of every three games use things from Gears and Call of Duty this generation.  Which is why those games come up a lot in these topics.  Uncharted wouldnt even be the same without gears and as much as I love uncharted the mechanics and gameplay from a coversystem and shooting mechanics was superior on gears, which has always been a common complaint among many gamers.  You are right though that Uncharted has the perfect blend of Cinimatics, platforming, puzzles, and TPS in it, but what other games follows this route?  What games uses the mechanics that Uncharted used or created?  That is what I've been asking because i cant think of any.  Uncharted is a lot like Tomb Raider and now Tomb Raider is a lot like uncharted so yes the new tomb raider looks to be influenced by uncharted but beyond that what other game has been influenced by uncharted?  I mean I can thank of a ton that uses the features made popular by gears and CoD this generation including Uncharted.  So if you can explain to me with example and other games then ill agree with you if that is fair? 

its really not about agreeing with me, its just that alot of people said uncharted inclduing my self had a lot of influence and i just wanted to explain why, after all this is a matter of opinion, it what you see as more influencial and more important. the perspitive of the camera in gears of war or the centamtic approach in uncharted for example, whats more important? what changed games more? it comes down to a matter of opinion

also i would like to point out that not just tomb raider was effected by uncharted because they have a similar art style, thats like saying gears only effected sci-fi shooters. the way that uncharted influenced other games cant really be seen directly like gears's. honestly games like assasins creed started adding these centimatic moments and trying to blend them in with gameplay like uncharted, so did resident evil6. have you played max payne3? remember that level where the building collapses? does the way it was made remind you of anything? alot of action games now have changed because of uncharted, the way they are made, people can argue that uncharted didnt effect them and had nothing to do with them, after all its all down to a matter of opinion. 

i think i said in my first post than uncharteds influence will still come in games to come in the future, the DOTS system opened doors in game development that other developers clearely didnt catch up with (with the exception of sony santa monica with GoW3, cronos boss fight to be more exact). uncharted did stuff that developers still didnt think that was possible, and were going to start seeing it in future games (hopefully!) like platformers,TPS, FPS, hack and slash because really it would benifit from it alot, developers just need the time to catch up with naughty dogs tech.

but as i said, its just a matter of opinion and what you see is more important and what changed the most is down to you, i just wanted to explain peoples point of view about uncharted even though i bet a lot of people didnt know about half the stuff i said

You're not alone in your thinking Banana, some of us just dont feel like arguing about what was more "innovative" xD.

Now if it was graphics or the game itself.. I'd make an effort XD

But yeah.. /Agree

EDIT:
Topic is about the Top 5 New IPs of the gen which I take as the best new IP.

Like.. Im not gonna vote for CoD or Wii Sports because I dont like those games at all and they could innovate as much as they want but that wouldnt change anything for me :)

Aldro said:
bananaking21 said:
JayWood2010 said:
bananaking21 said:

You're not alone in your thinking Banana, some of us just dont feel like arguing about what was more "innovative" xD.

Now if it was graphics or the game itself.. I'd make an effort XD

But yeah.. /Agree

its not an argument its a discussion and thats why i love talking to jaywood 

bananaking21 said:

No i haven't played Max Payne 3 unfortunately :/ 

Maybe Im just not thinking of many games that it has influenced or Ive missed some, i don't know.  And when i talked about gears earlier i was going beyond TPS.  I mean CoD and Halo has elements of gameplay made popular by Gears like Horde and reviving to survive.

However I can see uncharted 2/3 being the staple of games with cinimatic story so you are correct about cinimatics in many ways.  I still feel that it has been done by many games before including gears but nobody that i can personally think of can do it as well as Naughty Dog and Uncharted which i think we will see more on in The Last of Us.  Just like in Gears when poeple play a cover based game that i gets judged by "is it as good as gears"  Uncharted will be the same way when it comes to story and cinimatics. "Is it as good as uncharted"

Speaking of games with a heavy influence, I have a feeling we are looking at some influence from Heavy Rain, Beyond, and The Walking Dead game.  I have a feeling that we are going to see more games like this in the future as both Heavy Rain and The Walking Dead has proved that this is a great way to take point and Click adventures on and be successful.  MSFT has announced a very cinmatic game coming to the NeXbox and it makes me wonder if it will be a similar game to those.

What I'm trying to say is that whetever we talk about, Gears influencing TPS and Gameplay elements, Call of duty with multiplayer, Halo with Console FPS, Heavy Rain with Point and Click adventures,  etc  They are all games that are shaping our industries as we speak.  So I'll agree with you this time XD