By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Linear vs Non-linear games. Which is better?

Which is a better game progression strategy?

Linear 32 28.83%

Non-linear 43 38.74%

See results 36 32.43%

Total:111

I prefer a nice mix of both, I want to able to explore and do things but also want a very nicely constructed story that just pulls me into the world.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Linearity is neither good or bad. You can do linear well and poorly, just as easily as you can do non-linear well and poorly.

@ Soleron

Then why not write a book or act if its all up to the player's imagination.

Forgive me if I start to sound like an old codger, but back in the days where the system was limited in terms of detailing a game story out, the game would generally provide an "oversight story" and the player would fill in the details themselves. Despite the system limitations, the instruction manuals provided for the first 3 Zeldas with their incredibly detailed illustrations really got people imagining.

I know it's a completely different era now, but it can give some insight on how powerful the mind can be when playing such games.

Non-linear. A game doesn't have to be linear to have a good storyline - look at FF6

hkKAZE said:
Non-linear. A game doesn't have to be linear to have a good storyline - look at FF6

Most of the storyline came from the World of Balance half of the game, which was linear (except for the scenario choosing where all 3 groups have to get back to Narshe. That was good!). While there was a little story progression in the World of Ruin, it didn't focus as much on the main story itself as it did character development, since the plot was already set.

Depends on the game.

Non-Linear games tend to lose their stories, where some Linear games do not have a good enough story to push them through.

Around the Network

Neither....it depends on the game.

pokoko said:
There is no "better". Either can make for a great game. It's like asking if ice cream is better than pizza. It depends on what the developers are trying to accomplish.

One of the things that I find amusing, though, is how many people think an RPG is non-linear just because it appears to be open world, even though most of the world is closed off until you unlock story events in sequence. That's always kind of confused me.

You pretty say everything i want to say but in a much better way. So yea this. I do prefer bit more linear or something with a good sense of direction. I got lost in Oblivion doing random quests and never ended up finishing story. 

if you wanna tell a fast story with great visuals and all that stuff,you need a linear game,because the more freedom in a game(non linearity)the more it will destroy the intense of story telling and gameplay because people will do some experiments,they will try to undermine gameplay,try to cheat,analyze the AI.

If you want to create a great gaming experience and try to appeal on peoples intelligence and imagination and curiosity than non linearity is the better way.(but completely useless if you make a game with a movie license.non linearity will
give the gamer the chance to change the story line of the movie and the gamer will be dissapointed)

Compared to movies:Linearity= hollywood blockbusters(don't use your brain,react and be impressed)
non linearity=hitchcock movie.suspense,no effects,use your brain,who dunnit?,be surprised.

Mnementh said:
Well, it depends on the game. As you said it is easier to keep a consistent story, if you make the game linear. For Zelda I think, a more non-linear way may be great, if it is done in a good way (not simply all the dungeons are available from the beginning, but are the same as if the game would be linear).

I agree. It all depends on the game. I really like the Witcher 2 and Elders Scrolls vision on open-world. But I also like the emotional build and compelling narrative that games like Uncharted, Metal Gear, God of War offers.

When you played The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition you get a special outfit at the beginning that haves a hood, and the back happens to be very long an baggy like Links hat, I was like: “Wow what if they made a Zelda installment like this?”

I would be very blown; of course you have to play the marble that is The Witcher 2 to understand.

So yeah linear and non-linear both have different appeals IMO

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

i like a mixture of both. I think ff 7,8,9 nailed it perfectly. the kind of linearity where new things open up as you progress but there is still a clear path to follow. I dont really like when your just dumped into the world and can do whatever. The story loses meaning and gets boring as everything is so spaced out.