By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Platinum Games Shows Interest In The Darksiders Franchise

irstupid said:
Whats Nintendo's relationship with Platinum.

Would this mean Darksiders is exclusive to Nintendo as well if this went though, or what?

Platinum Games are developers... damn good ones

Nintendo has opted to publish Bayonetta 2 (i.e. fund the development and retail release expenses). SEGA is also involved in that somewhere.

If Platinum Games were to buy Darksiders, then they would be free to develop another game in the line but where they find a publisher may restrict whether that is multiplatform or not.

Around the Network
SwansVanTerif said:
I think Sony would be mad not to bid on this, if they can get it for cheap. It would fit perfectly into their first party line-up, securing them an alternative to Zelda exclusively.

They've got God of War, which this game copied. Theres no need. 

Metrium said:
I doubt PG has the money to make a serious offer.

They dont need the devs, just the rights. Most of the companies were sold relatively cheap at liquidated prices.

alright ninendo you fund games no other publishers are willing to do so it's your chance step in and rescue darksiders (mainly so that i can see fanboy's suffer)

Sony should buy Darksiders and Vigil. Or Microsoft but they are too busy wasting money.

Around the Network

Someone needs to buy this IP! Nintendo could really need another western studio, aside from Retro, so buying Vigil and making a sequel to Darksiders would be a great way in doing so. DO IT!!!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Why doesn't Nintendo just buy them out for crying out loud. They probably could be had for a very low cost. 

Maybe if they were more proactive with investment in Western studios we wouldn't be sitting with software droughts for every system they release.

For some reason, Darksiders and Bayonetta sound like a good combination. No, not in the sense of a cross-over, but that the developing teams should compliment each other. I hope Nintendo don't end up as the publishers of Darksiders, as Darksiders alone isn't enough to make me buy a Wii U or other Nintendo console, but if that's the only option I wouldn't begrudge them keeping the franchise alive.

BasilZero said:
irstupid said:

So why does someone else have to publish the game?  Why can't platinum publish it themselves?  If they are interested in buying darksiders, then wouldn't they be interested in publishing it as well?

Looking at Platinums games, it looks like their only publisher in the past has been Sega on basically every game until recently NIntendo doing the most recent two.  Konami did one  in there. 

So since Sega didn't buy Darksiders, and they did buy some THQ stuff, they must not be interested. who do you guys think Platinum will get to publish darksiders if they do indeed buy it?

Microsoft and Valve are out of the question.

Sony - 5%
Nintendo - 5%
Sega - 5%
Ubisoft - 10%
Capcom - 15%

In other words....no idea lol. I dont think Platinum games would be able to purchase the franchise and the development team - it'll more than likely go frozen status or to a random third party developer.

Vigil was appearently shuttered by the one who was in charge of the sale, it was a one shot for development teams since they need to get paided and they will not get paid by the bank in charge of the sell off. Platinum has contacted them to see if some of them wanted to work at Platinum. The IP will go for cheap. The cheapest IP in the first sales went for a little over 500k, which probally indicate the starting bid was specified as 500k. So the new starting bid will be a lot lower than that in the second sale so someone will buy it.

BlkPaladin said:

Vigil was appearently shuttered by the one who was in charge of the sale, it was a one shot for development teams since they need to get paided and they will not get paid by the bank in charge of the sell off. Platinum has contacted them to see if some of them wanted to work at Platinum. The IP will go for cheap. The cheapest IP in the first sales went for a little over 500k, which probally indicate the starting bid was specified as 500k. So the new starting bid will be a lot lower than that in the second sale so someone will buy it.

As zarx pointed in another thread, those 500k are not a real indication of the real price of the IP. The reason is that the buyers were Crytek, who are developing Homefront 2 for them and, given their situation, THQ probably owed them several pays. So those 500k could be the real pricew of the IP minus the money THQ owed to Crytek (more or less).

OT: While I'd like to see the story going on with the other 2 horsemen, I'll go against the rest and say that I don't really like the idea of Platinum being in charge of them.

Mind you, I know they are a bunch or very talented and very good developers, but even though their games have some resemblance to Darksiders, there are many more things that set them apart: the genre (action/hack'n'slash vs action/adventure), the pacing, the art style, etc.

I'm not sure a Darksiders game developed by Platinum would feel and play like the other two previous games.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.