By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "How I got banned from Miiverse" by d21lewis

To everyone saying "Oh the children shouldn't be subjected to that kind of talk", I think you should never send your children to school because believe it or not the things you hear children say when they are around all the other "innocent children" would blow your mind. As a matter of fact, if you really want to know how those children act just boot up Black Ops 2 and play online with the mics on.

A nice kid asks questions and then the next nice kid responds with a friendly: "Yo kid, shut the fuck up!"

However, I am sure that we all know this already since many of us "adults" went through it. Either way, let us just continue to pretend for a moment that Nintendo is protecting our children from the horrors of the outside world.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
SwansVanTerif said:
Yeah, I do smell trouble. Nobody is going to ban me from a service I have payed for, for any of the things Ihear people being modded for, and I think Nintendo needs to adress this immidiately. Their online incompetence never cease to amaze me.

You do pay for Miiverse? You must have a weird Wii U.

Euphoria14 said:
To everyone saying "Oh the children shouldn't be subjected to that kind of talk", I think you should never send your children to school because believe it or not the things you hear children say when they are around all the other "innocent children" would blow your mind. As a matter of fact, if you really want to know how those children act just boot up Black Ops 2 and play online with the mics on.

A nice kid asks questions and then the next nice kid responds with a friendly: "Yo kid, shut the fuck up!"

However, I am sure that we all know this already since many of us "adults" went through it. Either way, let us just continue to pretend for a moment that Nintendo is protecting our children from the horrors of the outside world.

School =/= company. A company has to "protect" children just to be on the safe side. Just when there's the next unbelievable court case about a company doing something "wrong" everybody's pissed but when a company wants to avoid stuff like that they are assholes anyway.

You can always get to school and blame kids for being bad to yours, no chance doing that on Miiverse. Voice chat in game is live and not hosted/saved. That's most likely like phoning someone. You wouldn't sue the cable company because someone insulted you on the phone...

SwansVanTerif said:
Doesn't look like that to me, it looks like a place where you have to consider your words at every post, and I'm not having that. They will get into trouble here in Europe, if it has any sort of infuence on your ability to use the system, because once I have payed for my system, nobody is going to tell me how to use it. I own it now, they don't, and if they in any way disable it, shit is going to come down on them. Class action is a certainty.

Actually, you don't own the Miiverse, nor do you pay for it. It is a free service, accessible to the public which Nintendo owns and moderates. Currently it is accessible by the Wii U, and soon 3DS, iPhone, PC, Mac, and other platforms. 

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Yes, it's part of the package I'm paying for when I buy the Wii U. Don't know if has any influence on the games, though, and that's the whole issue. Can I play online while banned? Can I go into the store? Can I use all features but the commenting still?

Ostro said:

Euphoria14 said:

School =/= company. A company has to "protect" children just to be on the safe side. Just when there's the next unbelievable court case about a company doing something "wrong" everybody's pissed but when a company wants to avoid stuff like that they are assholes anyway.

You can always get to school and blame kids for being bad to yours, no chance doing that on Miiverse. Voice chat in game is live and not hosted/saved. That's most likely like phoning someone. You wouldn't sue the cable company because someone insulted you on the phone...

Strange since this doesn't apply to anyone but Nintendo. Also, a school doesn't have to protect your children just to be on the safe side?

The issue people are having is that you have parental controls that should allow them to block out anything they want. They can have it so anything containing this or that or these or those do not display for anyone who's age is below a certain point. This allows adult gamers to have more adult oriented discussion while also making sure the children are not exposed.

You don't go advertising your console as something for everyone and then subject everyone to rules as if they are all under the age of 10.

Say a bad word or post something vile on Miiverse? Oh no!  But hey, while you're at it go play some Black Ops 2 or Ninja Gaiden 3 Hyper Violent Edition.

Hard to have a forum like space flourish when it's run like this. You have parental check points in place. Use them properly.

You know, for years I always heard Nintendo fans complain about Nintendo being considered a "kiddy" company. Well, wouldn't you agree it's quite justified?

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Around the Network

You all did read the story on GAF about the guy who's NNID got banned because he let his neice draw a picture and post it on Miiverse right? Nothing violent, nothing that a child couldn't see. The issue was that "A child needs parental permission to use an adult account".

Now if I were on my account and allowed my family member to draw a nice picture I would be subjected to moderation. Not just that, but how do they know whether or not a child got permission? You would assume they knew since the drawing said on it "A picture drawn by my neice", meaning she was supervised and given permission.

I thought they promoted family spending time together and enjoying the WiiU.

It is obvious there is a problem here right now.

Currently playing:

d21lewis said:

Now, I don't know what to do. :(

Well you could start by not violating the Terms of Use.  And it's not like there is much presidence for this, as XBL and PSN don't have a dedicated social network where people can draw with a tablet and post in it.  Sounds to me so far like Nintendo is doing a good job of moderating.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

Euphoria14 said:
You all did read the story on GAF about the guy who's NNID got banned because he let his neice draw a picture and post it on Miiverse right? Nothing violent, nothing that a child couldn't see. The issue was that "A child needs parental permission to use an adult account".

Now if I were on my account and allowed my family member to draw a nice picture I would be subjected to moderation. Not just that, but how do they know whether or not a child got permission? You would assume they knew since the drawing said on it "A picture drawn by my neice", meaning she was supervised and given permission.

I thought they promoted family spending time together and enjoying the WiiU.

It is obvious there is a problem here right now.

Well I think letting a child post in an adult's account violates the Terms of Use.  I mean that's been known since the Wii U launched.  If they find that a child is using an adult's account they will moderate it because they don't want that to happen, as most of the time the child is probably using it without consent and just imagine on a social network a child posting something like "my mom/dad just hit me" or some kind of disturbing drawing that is clearly from a troubled child in crisis.  Or something like that. 

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

All of that is really weird. I´ve been on Miiverse for quite some time, get 12 friends, never had any kind of problem..... a friend of mine made an art about a woman with naked breasts and still posts there sometimes....

dude, talk about bad luck.

Still, I think Miiverse is a great idea. It´s simple to use and keep people talking just what really matters: games.

I'd rather let my young child play on xbox live or ps network, where they can quickly learn to be a xenophobic, homophobic, racist, sexist, mass-murderer- you know the old "trial by fire" method of parenting.