By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Next Generation graphics!

wow another lame useless thread.

Nintendo Network ID: Sherlock99

Around the Network
Joelcool7 said:
Now that being said as a faithful Nintendo gamer I own both of Nintendo's systems. I however for the first time in my life saw no choice but to support an opposing console, I bought an X-Box 360. Now Nintendo's games are of a far higher caliber in my opinion to that of either Sony or Microsoft, but the third parties are supporting Microsoft with the A-Quality games. As far as PSP is concerned I have very little intrest in buying one, however if it started seeing some real good third party support I might even be forced to pick one of them up too.

Not this shit again. It wouldn't be as painful if it were a matter of perspective or opinion, but this argument is completely and utterly without merit. -_-

A year ago only a few "delusional Nintendo fanboys" had realised how succesful the Wii was going to be, and even we were underestimating it. The great games being released now started production way before that, and virtually all publishers were caught with their pants down. Games of all types and qualities have started production since then, and it's only natural that the bad ones got ready first.

DmeisterJ: He's referring to first party games. Nintendo having the best first party games on the planet is pretty much uncontested.

thanny said:

i would personally rather a graphically powerful nintendo console, but the problem is if nintendo had of taken that route they would be well on the way to dire straits* cos it would have almost certainly been selling worse then the cube. as a result, nintendo may not be able to afford to continue churning out AAA's

disregarding the handheld side of things :P

Well,also remember that Nintendo has lost two generations in a row. I think the Nintendo Wii is a great oportunity for them to regain leverage, reputation and clout in the industry. Then next generation they'll have more freedom to take more risks, financially and technologically.

I honestly, would have preferred a more powerful system, but given the cirucmstances...The Wii is just what Nintendo needed. And we will still continue to receive high quality first-party titles....and with the increased market share and resources, we should soon be seeing more high quality third-party titles as well.

But trust me...I'm with you...I'm still waiting for that powerful kick-ass Nintendo system. Maybe next-gen.

I'm not a fanboy, I just try to tip the balance in favor of logic and common sense.

Parokki said:
Joelcool7 said:
Now that being said as a faithful Nintendo gamer I own both of Nintendo's systems. I however for the first time in my life saw no choice but to support an opposing console, I bought an X-Box 360. Now Nintendo's games are of a far higher caliber in my opinion to that of either Sony or Microsoft, but the third parties are supporting Microsoft with the A-Quality games. As far as PSP is concerned I have very little intrest in buying one, however if it started seeing some real good third party support I might even be forced to pick one of them up too.

Not this shit again. It wouldn't be as painful if it were a matter of perspective or opinion, but this argument is completely and utterly without merit. -_-

A year ago only a few "delusional Nintendo fanboys" had realised how succesful the Wii was going to be, and even we were underestimating it. The great games being released now started production way before that, and virtually all publishers were caught with their pants down. Games of all types and qualities have started production since then, and it's only natural that the bad ones got ready first.

DmeisterJ: He's referring to first party games. Nintendo having the best first party games on the planet is pretty much uncontested.

O_________o Thank you, I was trying to figure out what the flip he was talking about, but Ninty's 1st party games do rock.

of course i want the old nintendo with higher quality standards and graphics.

Around the Network

I never said Nintendo abandoned the hardcore. I said they openned the floodgates to a ton of crappy games. Just because a game gets labeled casual doesn't mean you should be able to get away with passing off N64 graphics.

By Nintendo leading the way with casual titles like WiiSports (A great game, gameplay wise) they openned the floodgates to every single publisher to produce as many cheaply made games as possible.

I love many of the games in BengaBenga's list and many will be on my purchasing list. However the market is also being saturated with tons of crap I mean games Dogz2 & CarnivalGames will over run games like SSBB and MarioKart.

When a game like WiiPlay can manage to outsell far superior AAA+ titles you know we are headed in the wrong direction. Now I like WiiPlay like many of you do its fun for a casual 10-minutes of gameplay every two to three weeks.

But if casual games continue to be as successful as they are. Instead of the next GhostRecon we will see FrenchTutor3 or Driving Lessons. Just watch the "For Dummies" book series get picked up by one of the big publishers and turned into a line of games which go on to sell millions.

Is that the path you want, I mean to have casual games is one thing. But when big publishers like UbiSoft turn from producing shooters and tactical games to churning out one casual game after another we have a problem. The big publishers all seem headed in that direction (most of them at least)!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

The reason Wii Play outsells every other game is because of the free controller take that out, and you will see the sales are not that high.

Joelcool7 said:

I never said Nintendo abandoned the hardcore. I said they openned the floodgates to a ton of crappy games. Just because a game gets labeled casual doesn't mean you should be able to get away with passing off N64 graphics.

By Nintendo leading the way with casual titles like WiiSports (A great game, gameplay wise) they openned the floodgates to every single publisher to produce as many cheaply made games as possible.

I love many of the games in BengaBenga's list and many will be on my purchasing list. However the market is also being saturated with tons of crap I mean games Dogz2 & CarnivalGames will over run games like SSBB and MarioKart.

When a game like WiiPlay can manage to outsell far superior AAA+ titles you know we are headed in the wrong direction. Now I like WiiPlay like many of you do its fun for a casual 10-minutes of gameplay every two to three weeks.

But if casual games continue to be as successful as they are. Instead of the next GhostRecon we will see FrenchTutor3 or Driving Lessons. Just watch the "For Dummies" book series get picked up by one of the big publishers and turned into a line of games which go on to sell millions.

Is that the path you want, I mean to have casual games is one thing. But when big publishers like UbiSoft turn from producing shooters and tactical games to churning out one casual game after another we have a problem. The big publishers all seem headed in that direction (most of them at least)!

Well, the casual market is much larger than the hardcore market, right?

And WiiPlay also comes with an extra Wiimote. LOL Not to knock the game, but that's a pretty good incentive for a lot of individuals to pick it up.

And I am sure there is a way for casual games and hardcore games to mutually exist. The two do not have to be mutually exclusive of one another.

There will always be developers who will want to accommodate the hardcore gamer. Even if a developer does decide to produce casual games here and there...The whole industry will not 100% agree to accommodate only the casual gamer...

And the casual market represents opportunities for companies to increase their resources (low cost simple games that sell well generate profits)...which can then be funneled toward more risky harcore projects.

Haven't some developers already started implementing said strategy?

I'm not a fanboy, I just try to tip the balance in favor of logic and common sense.

leonoel said:
The reason Wii Play outsells every other game is because of the free controller take that out, and you will see the sales are not that high.

I hope your right, I know initially that gave it edge but many casual games are doing insainly well. Games like Cooking Mama and the Petz series of titles not to mention all the dang brain games.

Nintendo led the way into creating cheaply looking games. I mean no graphics aren't everything I prefer most of Nintendo's last gen GameCube games to many of todays PS3 titles, but these new casual games aren't even setting the bar at GameCube.

When games involve a Pencil writing words, or the letter A or a crossword puzzel or maybe a cartoonish pizza or an even N64 rendered pencil. 

I mean come on a few of the casual games look SNES or worse Flash4 quality. When a developer can develope a game at say 200,000$ and sell 500,000 copies over their usual 6-8 million development budget with sales of 500,000 or less copies. You do the math?

The future Nintendo has set us on will see the next big game being "Playing games:For Dummies". Couldn't Nintendo have at least gone with their PennantChase:BaseBall added a GameCube looking bowling game some decent looking boxing title and thrown them together to form WiiSports?

Just because its casual doesn't mean it should look like shit! 

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Joelcool7 said:

Your not long into this market, right?

It always happens with the market leader. The best selling system gets a ton of crappy games. It happened to the SNES, the PSX, the PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, DS and now Wii.

That´s the way things go in this industry and I really hope you don´t want Nintendos censorship back they used in the 80´s.

About the other things you mentioned: Leonel already said why Wii Player sells so well and Ubisoft is still producing as much "AAA" games as always, they have their own casual game developement studio now, that´s all.