By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo made $1.2 billion profit in 3 months

Girl Gamer Elite said:
starcraft said:
@ GGE

So what you are saying is that developers should be resigned to the fact that they cannot make a profit, but be content to barely stay afloat by existing only on the Wii? No More Heroes, a VERY high quality game just debuted with 40,000 on the Wii. It will not turn a profit. The most comparable game on the 360, Crackdown, is a million seller.

How many developer's have to complain that they cannot profit off the Wii before people like you take notice? I purchased a Wii for ONE reason. Nintendo's first-party franchises.

You can keep accusing everyone of having no logic, you can keep accusing everyone of dodging facts, but at the end of the day you do not have a coherent argument based in anything remotely resembling reality. Businesses do not exist to survive (in any case many could not if their development was confined to the Wii), they exist to make money.

If your only defense is trying to play down the Wii's profitability then this is an argument you've already lost. What did Mario and Sonic Olympics debut at? And where is its sales now? Developers like Capcom and Ubisoft are reporting record profits due to the Wii, that hardly sounds like just barely staying afloat to me. Any third party developer that is suffering on the Wii is one who has not put a serious effort into it yet, i.e. EA.

Since you are continuously dodging my points in favor of ones you think you can catch me on, you are the one dodgin the points. What happened to your claim that MS/Sony were turning a profit after I put it in its place? What happened to your claim developers were making money on the 360/PS3 when in this argument you assert, "okay so they aren't."

Face it, you don't have a solid argument to support your claims. If this is what it must come to then perhaps you should consider agreeing to dissagree as I don't see you recognizing HD graphics aren't the best medicine for the market as it stands.

Funny, but I could have sworn that Mario was Nintendo's flagship character and that this game's profits were meant to be split down the middle with Nintendo.  I also could have sworn that Capcom's mega-profits were coming from Dead Rising, DMC 4 and Lost Planet, rather than the commercial flop that was Zack and Wiki.  Furthermore, I could have sworn that Ubisoft's massive profits were coming from the success of Naruto and above all Assassin's Creed.

You did not say anything to refute the fact that Sony and MS are turning a profit.  I sincerely hope you don't try too, as all i need to do to comprehensively refute you is post their quarterly reports.  Nowhere do I say that developers "aren't" making money of the 360, you said that and offered nothing to back it up.  I argue quite the contrary, and the sales figures support me.

I've never really had much to do with you on these boards, but a quick glance made me wonder why everyone accuses you of being a rabid fangirl devoid of any logic or realism.  I wonder no more, as your solution to any argument your losing is to dance around with word games and simply state that you have "put arguments in their place" after really doing nothing of the sort.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

That is a lot of money in 3 months.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

supermario128 said:
That is a lot of money in 3 months.

Indeed.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:

Funny, but I could have sworn that Mario was Nintendo's flagship character and that this game's profits were meant to be split down the middle with Nintendo. I also could have sworn that Capcom's mega-profits were coming from Dead Rising, DMC 4 and Lost Planet, rather than the commercial flop that was Zack and Wiki. Furthermore, I could have sworn that Ubisoft's massive profits were coming from the success of Naruto and above all Assassin's Creed.

You did not say anything to refute the fact that Sony and MS are turning a profit. I sincerely hope you don't try too, as all i need to do to comprehensively refute you is post their quarterly reports. Nowhere do I say that developers "aren't" making money of the 360, you said that and offered nothing to back it up. I argue quite the contrary, and the sales figures support me.

I've never really had much to do with you on these boards, but a quick glance made me wonder why everyone accuses you of being a rabid fangirl devoid of any logic or realism. I wonder no more, as your solution to any argument your losing is to dance around with word games and simply state that you have "put arguments in their place" after really doing nothing of the sort.

Wow, I never realized how badly of a fanboy and fact cherry picker you are.  That paragraph was just so blindly ignorant.  You focused on Z&W, the one wii game capcom has not done outstanding with and even that is on pace to be very successful with European results (low budget game=low sales to break even).  You completely ignore RE4 and RE:UC with both have wildly broken past Capcom's expectations of 420k and 600k sales and are going on strong.  They will make more money off of those than the other games you have mentioned.  Profit does not depend completely on total final sale numbers.

And you also ignore Ubisoft crediting the wii with their profit during the launch year when they made million sellers of RRR and Red Steel.  The fact that they didn't release any significant games so far this year on the wii is the reason they haven't made money on it.

And comparing NHM to Crackdown?  How stupid can you be?  Killer7, the precedessor to NHM sold less than 40k on the PS2!  Does that really inspire you to say it should be a million seller?  

starcraft said:
@ GGE

So what you are saying is that developers should be resigned to the fact that they cannot make a profit, but be content to barely stay afloat by existing only on the Wii? No More Heroes, a VERY high quality game just debuted with 40,000 on the Wii. It will not turn a profit. The most comparable game on the 360, Crackdown, is a million seller.

How many developer's have to complain that they cannot profit off the Wii before people like you take notice? I purchased a Wii for ONE reason. Nintendo's first-party franchises.

You can keep accusing everyone of having no logic, you can keep accusing everyone of dodging facts, but at the end of the day you do not have a coherent argument based in anything remotely resembling reality. Businesses do not exist to survive (in any case many could not if their development was confined to the Wii), they exist to make money.

What a dishonest argument. You know that Ubisoft under shipped NMH copies at launch? Have you played the damn game at least? It is not that high quality as you say (technical standpoint). I love the game and would love to see more games like that, but the graphics are not anything to be proud about. The game is niche and low budget. Another issue is that Crackdown comparison. What if NMH came with a SSBB demo, would it sell a million like crackdown?

I would bet that it will make a big profit and will be Suda 51 best selling game ever (untill now).

I do not want to start a "which console is better" discussion, but you are making some lame comparisons. Would Zack and Wiki or NMH sold better on the 360? I do not see its userbase buying high budget high quality games like Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Lost Odissey (it is Japan only, so you can ignore this one). Even Orange Box sales are a little dissapointing. I think you should not just make some clueless claims that 3rd parties do not sell well on the Wii based on 2 niche low budget titles.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Around the Network

oh that is some profit for 3 months

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Crackdown is first party.

I'm sick of hearing about how No More Heroes and Zack and Wiki mean third parties can't sell on Wii. See: Killer 7 and Okami on PS2.

Capcom's big sales obviously have to do with Wii moreso than 360 or PS3 considering until DMC4, Capcom hadn't released any games for 360 or PS3 for an entire year.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

I'd guess 40,000 copies does generate a profit for a Suda game honestly. The game itself is more a testament to how much you can do with a really low budget.

yay!!!! Nintendo can finally prove to this world that it is staying here for the longhual

The one thing I would like to see Ninty do, is move into a completely different market - even to say, compete directly with Apple over iPod / music player sales.

The key for them is manufacturing - whatever they do, it can't compete/disturb their current manufacturing chains/products - that would be counter productive.

A simple iPos style (no screen? or iPod touch style?) device - purely as a media player. Something small, cheap, easy to make.

Make money off the 'Nintendo' name itself.

The other option is to release something like this as a "premium DS II" (or just a premium DS).

If they released a new, limited edition version of the DS - that was say, double the price - and had a heap of extra features (with double the margin) - it would be a huge seller.

But I guess their strength *is* software, and its more profitable really. If they can sell 10m units of Brawl this year, and say it cost 10m US to produce - Ninty would be making $25US / unit. Thats a juicy 230m profit - from one title.

If they can sell 200m units of software in a year (possible when there are 100m DS units + 40m Wii units in the market) - at a $20 margin each - thats a solid 4bn US.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099