By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - To those who buy music: Why?

Only when I think the artist deserves it.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network

Let's see... I don't like musicians and don't care what they have to say. But I do like music so I buy music, though no where near everything I listen to is paid for.

That's because my first exposition to an artist or song routinely comes from the illegal download. It's simply the way I listen to music instead of other free sources like say the radio, YouTube or music TV. So I can't just buy things blindly or on good faith, I'd just end up with a bunch of junk. Plus none of the big online paid music services even work in Croatia.

I do buy lots of CDs though and especially DVDs, usually many at once.

If I really like an artist and feel they deserve the money, I'll pay for their music. Albums stopped being worth $12-15 a long time ago, and most of the time albums are just loaded with filler anyway.

Why not steal your food instead? It's not like the billionaire supermarket corporations need your money.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

ps3-sales! said:

Honestly. Why do you buy music when you can download all the music you could ever listen to in your life, for free. I've never understood this. You say it's morally wrong. Well, if I have to be morally wrong and have money for food and other essentials then that's fine. You say it doesn't support the artists. You mean the artists that already have millions??? It's one thing to support an indie artist getting up on their feet, but if you want to listen to say, Lada Gaga. Why buy it? She has plenty of money, and most citizens do not. 

What are your thoughts on downloading music for free. Do you think it's wrong? If so, do you do it anyway?

My main thought: I download all my music for free with some exceptions. If I really respect a certain artist I will hand them my money. Some recent examples are the Journey and Unfinished Swan Soundtracks that I purchased through Itunes. Amazing stuff.

well, it's the responsible thing to do.  Even if I wasn't a songwriter, I still wouldn't download illegally.  It's the same reason that people who feel strongly about protecting the environment for future generations do it, because it's the responsible thing to do, not necessarily the easiest thing to do.  They won't be alive to see the future generations but it's still the responsible thing to do.

Also, very very very few artists make tons of money like Lady Gaga, etc.  As a songwriter/producer who follows the industry, I tell you now, artists who make lots of money like Lady Gaga are less than 0.01% of all the artists out there.....

Around the Network

My album buying craze started when I discovered Mariah Carey (still a HUGE fan now). I remember that whole summer very fondly, and still have those albums pride of place. And as she is a songwriter and producer as well as an amazing vocalist, I feel really good buying those records. The feeling kind of stuck, and my CD collection now is kinda like my wall of memories - when I look at those CD's every now and then, I remember certain things connected to those CD's and I don't get that when I look at my collection on iTunes etc.

I don't listen to record label music. The people I buy music from are earning in the hundreds of dollars range, so my contribution definitely helps.

Well, it's the right thing to do. Downloading music without paying for it is stealing. People do end up getting court summons in the mail and getting fined for thousands of dollars. It's not a victimless crime.

Whether you phrase it the same way I do or not, you're a thief.  Textbook definition of 'thief'.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

Soleron said:
I don't listen to record label music. The people I buy music from are earning in the hundreds of dollars range, so my contribution definitely helps.

sum sikk my little pony remixes yeh? 

Sal.Paradise said:
Soleron said:

sum sikk my little pony remixes yeh? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytKvgLuy7ng
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U0UUDy_5ik
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc-YMUWvA1s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByE1cHw3Mbs

Not remixes. Pony originals.