By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did you know about the original XBOX before the 360?

Hynad said:
Dmick90 said:
The original Xbox had a better variety of games than PS2.

That's hardly true. The PS2 is where all third party devs went.

The only advantage the XBox had over the other consoles was in the FPS genre. All other game genres were represented in the other consoles, with more diversity/variety.

I think he means exclusives. Plus Xbox had more platformers than ps2 that i know of.

Around the Network
Wander_ said:
Hynad said:
Dmick90 said:

The only advantage the XBox had over the other consoles was in the FPS genre. All other game genres were represented in the other consoles, with more diversity/variety.

I think he means exclusives. Plus Xbox had more platformers than ps2 that i know of.

The PS2 had way more exclusives than any of the other 2 consoles. And as for platformers, do some research. The PS2 also comes ahead.

Of course I knew about it, who didn..., oh.

I always figured people who owned video games systems as something more than a casual (Wii Sports) device would have some knowledge of the history of gaming. I've played video games since the early 90's when my hands were big enough to play a Gameboy. I've always known what consoles were available - major players, at least. Sega, Sony, Microsoft, and, most importantly (to the young me), Nintendo. I thought the XBox would fail and Microsoft had no business being in the console business. Hey, I was a young fanboy, what else would you expect?

Wander_ said:
Turkish said:
Yes, I knew about it since 2000 and was very excited, buying magazines to hear more about it every month. The name sounded cool, "the Xbox".

However as it launched and time passed I lost interest. At that time I was a fan of colorful games and the Xbox did not have those.

The original Xbox had more colorful games than PS2.

The PS2 had more colorful games than Xbox had games. DONE.

Around the Network
Wander_ said:
Hynad said:
Dmick90 said:

PS2 had more platformers than Xbox had games. DONE.

kain_kusanagi said:
Hynad said:
kain_kusanagi said:
People who didn't know about the Xbox 360 are probably the same people who didn't know the Dreamcast existed and thought he PS2 was the only machine with video games to play. These people make me sad.

Why would they make you sad? It's not like you know everything there is to know about every hobbies in the world either.

It makes me sad because the Dreamcast had so many amazing games and deserved to be a success, but far too many ignored it and played exclusivly on PS2. The Dreamcast had the best games the year before and the year after the PS2 released but people still ignored it. Sega was forced to drop the Dreamcast and hardware alltogether and the industry is poorer for it. As for Xbox, Halo is pure gold and it's too bad that some people never got a chance to experience it in it's begining.

I know what you mean, Sega was like the Xbox in the 90s. Like the original Xbox the Dreamcast had so much potential and really deserved better. I'll never forget the day they announced on IGN that the Dreamcast was being discontinued. Sega was like a game making machine, they had so many great games coming out like one after another and they were more innovative back then. The Dreamcast was really the last time I have ever been really hyped over a console. And you know what the gaming industry has never really been the same since.

Dmick90 said:
kain_kusanagi said:

It makes me sad because the Dreamcast had so many amazing games and deserved to be a success, but far too many ignored it and played exclusivly on PS2. The Dreamcast had the best games the year before and the year after the PS2 released but people still ignored it. Sega was forced to drop the Dreamcast and hardware alltogether and the industry is poorer for it. As for Xbox, Halo is pure gold and it's too bad that some people never got a chance to experience it in it's begining.

I know what you mean, Sega was like the Xbox in the 90s. Like the original Xbox the Dreamcast had so much potential and really deserved better. I'll never forget the day they announced on IGN that the Dreamcast was being discontinued. Sega was like a game making machine, they had so many great games coming out like one after another and they were more innovative back then. The Dreamcast was really the last time I have ever been really hyped over a console. And you know what the gaming industry has never really been the same since.

Yeah the Dreamcast was awesome because of Crazy Taxi,Shenmue,Sonic, LOL. i can name you a gizillion consoles that had better games than Dreamcast. it's the fact that it got discontinued that makes you think it was great.

Dmick90 said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Hynad said:
kain_kusanagi said:
People who didn't know about the Xbox 360 are probably the same people who didn't know the Dreamcast existed and thought he PS2 was the only machine with video games to play. These people make me sad.

Why would they make you sad? It's not like you know everything there is to know about every hobbies in the world either.

Yeah, I feel the same way. The Golden Age of Gaming was during the height of the arcades it ended with early home console and the crash of the industry. The Silver Age of Gaming began with the NES and Master System and ended with the Dreamcast. We are only now starting to see a new renaissances with indie games thanks to XBLA, Steam, Wiiware and PSN. These innovative games like Fez and Limbo are carrying the on the tradition of the Dreamcast's unique and experimental games.

Wander_ said:
Dmick90 said:
kain_kusanagi said:

Yeah the Dreamcast was awesome because of Crazy Taxi,Shenmue,Sonic, LOL. i can name you a gizillion consoles that had better games than Dreamcast. it's the fact that it got discontinued that makes you think it was great.

That would only be your opinion. Are we supposed to all have the same tastes in games? 

The Dreamcast was great even before it got discontinued. I've spent more money on this console than on any other before and after it. So please, keep your ignorant opinion of it to yourself.