By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo to Consolidate Hardware Development

Veknoid_Outcast said:
"The new division is expected to increase Nintendo’s chances of producing “revolutionary” new hardware; think of 3DS units hooking up the Wii U as a matter of course, or Wii U tablets which work as portable consoles in their own rights, and you’re probably on track for what it has in mind for the future."

This is interesting stuff. Maybe Nintendo's next project is a portable video game system that "docks" with a television? Maybe Wii U is the prototype?

Quite possibly, though there would need to be a box of somesort that enhances the graphics when set on the TV, as well supporting additional controller input. I think the whole 3DS/WiiU gen along with what Miyamoto's working on linking the 2 and the patent for the cartridge that allows the 3DS to be a 2nd gamepad might be a gigantic experiment to see how the market reacts to this concept and that we might just be seeing a prelude to something great in the next couple of years.

Not to mention Ninty already experimented with the basic idea during the GC,N64 eras, so they have a good idea of what they're doing.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Around the Network
Otakumegane said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
"The new division is expected to increase Nintendo’s chances of producing “revolutionary” new hardware; think of 3DS units hooking up the Wii U as a matter of course, or Wii U tablets which work as portable consoles in their own rights, and you’re probably on track for what it has in mind for the future."

This is interesting stuff. Maybe Nintendo's next project is a portable video game system that "docks" with a television? Maybe Wii U is the prototype?

Quite possibly, though there would need to be a box of somesort that enhances the graphics when set on the TV, as well supporting additional controller input. I think the whole 3DS/WiiU gen along with what Miyamoto's working on linking the 2 and the patent for the cartridge that allows the 3DS to be a 2nd gamepad might be a gigantic experiment to see how the market reacts to this concept and that we might just be seeing a prelude to something great in the next couple of years.

Not to mention Ninty already experimented with the basic idea during the GC,N64 eras, so they have a good idea of what they're doing.

Wii U isnt too far from it.  Imagine buying Wii HD (console part of Wii U) $200, and Gamepad (or a 3DS XXL) $200.  Hmm, why didnt they do that?

Tarumon said:
Otakumegane said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Wii U isnt too far from it.  Imagine buying Wii HD (console part of Wii U) $200, and Gamepad (or a 3DS XXL) $200.  Hmm, why didnt they do that?

It might have been the pressing issue of software compatability, as their handhelds still use cartidges for faster on-the-go play and consoles use disks.

Complied with the mostly mixed reactions from the market a couple years back, they weren't ready to implement this full-force, nor did they want to. 

They're testing the waters again. Hopefully it's warm enough soon to take a dip.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

I find it a good move by Nintendo.

In the short term it should reduce their costs, as well as allowing the handheld console team help the home console team to drive down the costs of the gamepad given that they have more experience with those kind of devices.

And in the long term, it could be a sign of Nintendo changing the way the see the market. A home console that uses a handheld as a controller could be their future. The only problem with that is that they should increase their software dev. teams to be able to produce games for both devices at the same time.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Nintendo could try refresh interest halfway through the generation with a hybrid gamepad/portable. Although knowing them, they would most likely leave it till next gen.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
VGKing said:

Or maybe they're just pointing out the truth? No, its not the next Virtual Boy, but these sales are pretty bad and they haven't even stabalized yet.

The Wii U hasn't even been out for 3 Months yet... no one can make that accurate of a prediction.

Yeah, that's what I said....

VGKing said:

Where did you say that? 

NintendoPie said:
VGKing said:

Where did you say that? 

VGKing said:

Or maybe they're just pointing out the truth? No, its not the next Virtual Boy, but these sales are pretty bad and they haven't even stabalized yet.

Are you disgreeing with me? You think the Wii U could be Nintendos next Virtual Boy then?

VGKing said:

VGKing said:

Are you disgreeing with me? You think the Wii U could be Nintendos next Virtual Boy then?

No, it won't. I was disagreeing with the fact that you were trying to predict the sales of the Wii U, which is almost impossible as of now.

NintendoPie said:
VGKing said:

VGKing said:

No, it won't. I was disagreeing with the fact that you were trying to predict the sales of the Wii U, which is almost impossible as of now.

I did no such thing, at least not in this thread. You're saying its not the next Virtual Boy, so you're the one predicting its sales.....