By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo to Consolidate Hardware Development

Tarumon said:
Screamapillar said:

This intrigues me. I'm looking forward to Iwata (hopefully) mentioning this at Nintendo's investors meeting in two weeks.  Since Nintendo no longer announces games or game details at these things (since Nintendo Directs began), it should leave more than enough time to delve into what kind of changes are occuring within the organization structure of internal teams.

We already know Miyamoto has moved himself away from overseeing major EAD projects and instead is finishing up Pikmin 3 with his hand-picked team and then moving onto smaller games with newer staff that need supervision.  I believe Takashi Tezuka is taking over as head of EAD development.  He's got an impressive list of games on his resume, I look forward to E3 and seeing what kind of output the teams are making under his leadership.  There'll no doubt be some subtle changes.

Yeah, I think, or at least hope, the realignment isn't just for simple cost savings but anchors a longer term plan that affects gaming. Iwata if anything has been honest in the past, quickly took a 50% paycut, apologized, so I really don't expect him to do a PR spin on the state of Wii U.  So I hope Nintendo's been working hard at putting together a respectable 2013 line up for the Wii U. 

Well, one thing's for sure though... if they didn't begin all of these supposed "Holiday 2013" games around the time of E3 2011, or at the very least Nov/Dec 2011, they won't be ready this year.  I do recall though, reading some blips about NCL doing a ton of hiring back in late 2011 with a lot of people that had left other Japanese publishers.  So all of that stuff from the last two years or so should be paying off now and we should see the fruits of some of this labor at E3. 

I agree completey about Iwata.  He is probably one of the smartest men who's ever existed in the videogame industry.  He is crucial to Nintendo's survival, and he's very humble and always acknowledges mistakes of the past instead of putting PR spin on it. 

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

Around the Network

I still feel that they are moving away from innovative controller schemes. I feel from now on each system can use the wiimotes , gamepad, or pro controller plus whatever the next handheld device is will be able to double as a controller. Therefor allowing Nintendo to refresh hardware at a faster rate compared to the past and or other console manufactures, thus allowing for hardware every 3-4 years with no controller (think of. All the millions of above controllers already out there to use) for 175-225$ with full BC plus upgraded technology.

I would prefer the big 3 release refreshes every 2-4 years as opposed to 6-7 this way they are more adaptable to the market and newer technologies plus can put the pc vs console debat to an end. Meh that's also me rambling on

skyehoppers said:
Can someone please explain to me everyone on here is absolutely convinced that the Wii U is selling horribly. It may not quite have been up to Nintendo's expectations so far, but nearly 2.5 million sold in two months is far from terrible. Ninty's goal was 5.5 mil by April, and while that seems unlikely now, it's not even unattainable. It seems like everyone on here is acting like the WiiU's the biggest bomb since the Virtual Boy, but as far as I can tell, this is far from the truth.

I'm not a fanboy, and if someone can come up with a logical reason why the WiiU's sales are viewed so negatively I'll certainly listen.

Part of it is Nintendo-doubters who have been waiting in the wings for YEARS for Nintendo to screw up. Another part is "revenge" for the persistent Vita doom.

We'll just need to see where this goes, is all.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Out of the big 3, I think Nintendo could benefit the most from having 1 console in the future. This console would essentially be the successor to the 3DS. I would imagine it would be more like a tablet with some kind of wireless connectivity to the TV. Nintendo's never been focused on graphics anyway so I think this is entirely possible.

Mr Khan said:
skyehoppers said:
Can someone please explain to me everyone on here is absolutely convinced that the Wii U is selling horribly. It may not quite have been up to Nintendo's expectations so far, but nearly 2.5 million sold in two months is far from terrible. Ninty's goal was 5.5 mil by April, and while that seems unlikely now, it's not even unattainable. It seems like everyone on here is acting like the WiiU's the biggest bomb since the Virtual Boy, but as far as I can tell, this is far from the truth.

I'm not a fanboy, and if someone can come up with a logical reason why the WiiU's sales are viewed so negatively I'll certainly listen.

Part of it is Nintendo-doubters who have been waiting in the wings for YEARS for Nintendo to screw up. Another part is "revenge" for the persistent Vita doom.

We'll just need to see where this goes, is all.

Or maybe they're just pointing out the truth? No, its not the next Virtual Boy, but these sales are pretty bad and they haven't even stabalized yet.

Around the Network
Tarumon said:
skyehoppers said:

Yes, but it's been one month and one week since the Japan launch. That's a ridiculously small sample size. Way to small to take anything meaningful from, especially when half of that time was the middle of the holiday season. Of course sales are going to drop dramatically after Christmas. Not one sane person didn't expect them too. In your original post, you questioned whether this may be a knee-jerk reaction to WiiU sales, implying that they've been disastrous. You just admitted that they haven't. The amount of pretty unbased disregard of the WiiU's sales borders on sensationalism.

Edit: Since it doesn't seem to be working, how do you reply directly to someone else's comment?

Use Quote.

Not sure how closely ypu follow Nintendo as a company.  But trust me, as someone who has hundreds of thousands invested in Nintendo, I am the last person that is "attacking" them.  But you do have to take the company's 5.5 million shipped projection in mind, how at this pace, Wii U will under shoot by miles.

By knee jerk reaction I meant the timing of such disclosure.  We all knew they were building a brand new R& D facility and that numerous restructuring efforts were planned and announced in the past.  

Well okay, then. I'm going to trust your opinion on this. But also I think you have to take in mind that officially relelased corporate goals are very lofty, and sometimes the company knows that they're nearly unreachable, so Nintendo's actual goal may be considerably lower. Anyway, I'm sorry for getting off on the wrong foot, here. I misunderstood the tone of original post. Surely you understand where I'm coming from, though. I've seen many people bash the WiiU's sales without even studying the numbers. 

skyehoppers said:
Tarumon said:
skyehoppers said:

Yes, but it's been one month and one week since the Japan launch. That's a ridiculously small sample size. Way to small to take anything meaningful from, especially when half of that time was the middle of the holiday season. Of course sales are going to drop dramatically after Christmas. Not one sane person didn't expect them too. In your original post, you questioned whether this may be a knee-jerk reaction to WiiU sales, implying that they've been disastrous. You just admitted that they haven't. The amount of pretty unbased disregard of the WiiU's sales borders on sensationalism.

Edit: Since it doesn't seem to be working, how do you reply directly to someone else's comment?

Use Quote.

Not sure how closely ypu follow Nintendo as a company.  But trust me, as someone who has hundreds of thousands invested in Nintendo, I am the last person that is "attacking" them.  But you do have to take the company's 5.5 million shipped projection in mind, how at this pace, Wii U will under shoot by miles.

By knee jerk reaction I meant the timing of such disclosure.  We all knew they were building a brand new R& D facility and that numerous restructuring efforts were planned and announced in the past.  

Well okay, then. I'm going to trust your opinion on this. But also I think you have to take in mind that officially relelased corporate goals are very lofty, and sometimes the company knows that they're nearly unreachable, so Nintendo's actual goal may be considerably lower. Anyway, I'm sorry for getting off on the wrong foot, here. I misunderstood the tone of original post. Surely you understand where I'm coming from, though. I've seen many people bash the WiiU's sales without even studying the numbers. 

Oh yeah trust me I get where you are coming from.  If gaming is like a major league sport, then I want my team to win but the whole league to prosper.  I want to see the best battling it out.  I wish my team's rival shows up full strength and really compete.  Some posters are so loathsome of one platform or another, they want to see Nintendo die, literally.

I love Playstation, love Nintendo, not a fan of how MSFT wrecks other people's innovations by throwing money at products that compete in a red sea, but I still want to see Nextbox do well.  Especially if the nextbox does something uniguely entertaining.

I'd think because in future there won't really be 'home consoles' as even they will be portable. Basically instead of a WiiU controller being a mobile gaming device, the entire console will be the controller and fully portable. Or another of looking at it is, the next DS will also play off your TV.

Soleron said:
Conegamer said:
NiKKoM said:

yeah.. we all know what happend the last time when those 2 worked together..

Hey, the Tingle Tuner was the greatest thing EVA!

Maybe not...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUTPINL7UQs&t=6m40s

The Tingle Tuner IS the greatest thing ever. You can skip Dragon Roost Cavern with it.

Long Live the Cosmo!

Nintendo and PC gamer

@Mummelman, I understand your concern for Nintendo, but imho Nintendo's controller for the U is a long-term investment, and they will make the upgrade to the U compatible with the tablet. Imho they will no longer need to make their future consoles super-expensive, as they'll use the U infrastructure. That's why I believe the move in OP is part of a long-term plan.

Remember guys, Nintendo has in its fabric to plan 7 years in advance. Whatever you see today is the product of their thinking 7 years ago. It's like looking at stars. What you see today is something that existed in the past in their world. The same applies to this, it's a materialization of a long-term vision.