By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Screw The Casuals, Let Them Abandon Nintendo

Immortal said:
Hell, no. I like these "casual" games significantly more than "core" games. I really, really don't want to see a Nintendo console dominated by this crap (for the sake of not being even more ironic, I'll add, "in my opinion", even though it doesn't make sense semantically). If this happens, I might have to go back to being handheld-only, which would be a little sad.

Actually no. Nintendos handhelds are more of a success than their consoles ever were, people just don't talk about it. Their consoles are the secondary sellers.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
spurgeonryan said:
Good games would have sold if Developers had made good third party games. I cannot even name more than three.

Developers didn't take the console seriously. The west was evident and so was Capcom. For the Wii to get multiplats they would've had to severely dumb down their games which they were not prepared to do.

Hey Capcom gave us MH3. The west on the other hand.....

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Immortal said:
Hell, no. I like these "casual" games significantly more than "core" games. I really, really don't want to see a Nintendo console dominated by this crap (for the sake of not being even more ironic, I'll add, "in my opinion", even though it doesn't make sense semantically). If this happens, I might have to go back to being handheld-only, which would be a little sad.

Actually no. Nintendos handhelds are more of a success than their consoles ever were, people just don't talk about it. Their consoles are the secondary sellers.

I don't think I said or implied anything in contradiction with this. To elaborate, my last statement was that I used to have just a GBA, last gen I had DS(s) and Wii and this gen I only have 3DS(s) so far. I'm saying it'll be a little sad if I end up having to abandon Nintendo's home consoles again.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Immortal said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Immortal said:

I don't think I said or implied anything in contradiction with this. To elaborate, my last statement was that I used to have just a GBA, last gen I had DS(s) and Wii and this gen I only have 3DS(s) so far. I'm saying it'll be a little sad if I end up having to abandon Nintendo's home consoles again.

Its sad and I agree, I just felt the need to point out the unrealized popularity of the DS. Sorry if it came out forced but Nintendo has had me on edge wondeirng whether their consoles are even worth it anymore, myself.

Im with the OP, yes it is selfish but I dont care. Rather see a shelf with a little bit of games that are actually worth a damn, than a bunch of Bachelor, Just Dance knockoffs and the shovelware that invaded the Wii, it boggles my mind how some people here are trying to downplay that whole aspect.

Around the Network

Casual gamers are a fickle audience by nature, the Wii was the hot new thing with motion controls that are easy to pick up and play for any age and fun to non traditional gamer types. The Wii U gamepad on the other hand is not as easy to pick up and play for old folks or the really young, then you have the fact that there is a Nintendo hand held system to buy already (3DS and even the DS) and the hot tech object right now are tablets and smart phones so the Wii U and 3DS are competing for mind share among non traditional gamers with the likes of those other devices and they are not grabbing as much attention.

XBL Gamertag: ckmlb, PSN ID: ckmlb

oniyide said:
Im with the OP, yes it is selfish but I dont care. Rather see a shelf with a little bit of games that are actually worth a damn, than a bunch of Bachelor, Just Dance knockoffs and the shovelware that invaded the Wii, it boggles my mind how some people here are trying to downplay that whole aspect.

When I used to complain about the crap games coming out for the Wii years ago on this forum I was deemed a Wii hater (even though I owned the system twice) and was told that the PS2 was also full of crappy games (which every system has, but the Wii was on a whole other level of shovelware).

When I complained about casual gamers making the Wii into a casuals' console, I was told there would still be the big Nintendo first party games (which was true) and that these casuals would turn into gamers over time (the bulk of them did not as apparent by the sales of Zelda and other core games and the mild launch of the Wii U).

XBL Gamertag: ckmlb, PSN ID: ckmlb

RolStoppable said:
This would be great as a parody thread. Incredibly selfish, clueless and misguided.

Whatever, it's not like my thinking it changes the reality. 

Casual gamers are flakey and just looking out for fads.

What they want in games is now being served by the 99 cent iOS/Android market, Nintendo can keep trying to bend over backwards for them, but they're not coming back and they sure as hell are not paying $60 (or even $50) for a game. 

And good riddance. Nintendo is at their best making games like Super Metroid, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy, F-Zero X, Super Mario Bros. 3, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and finding and nurturing dev partners that bring things like Xenoblade and GoldenEye to the table. 

That's what Nintendo is best at. They're too good of a developer to be wallowing away trying to replicate the success of Wii Sports, which quite honestly isn't even one of the 50 best games they've ever made.

My opinion is the opposite.

Screw the hardcore. They didn't appreciate the awesome N64 and Dreamcast. They deserve an industry where every console is aimed for the mainstream.

I LOVE ICELAND!

And go back to the dark ages of the GameCube, with Miyamoto sad instead of happy? I don't think so.  I want Nintendo to feel the pinch, as they initially felt with early 3DS sales, but I don't want them catering to an audience of barely 20 million.  No thank you.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.