By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - From A Skeptic: Where Nintendo Should Take The Wii U

Agree with most of it, although i think the key to a "new IP" would be to have Retro Studios do it.

The key to Nintendo's salvation is building up first party capacity. If they had as many studios as, say, Sony, and kept them all up to snuff, they could handily carry their platforms all on their own, and third party games would just be a bonus.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

3.) Create (or buy) a flagship "hardcore" character IP -- Mario paves the way for a lot of the mascot/cartoon/license based content that floods Nintendo consoles, but Nintendo really doesn't have a similar beacon for the older audience. You could always let Retro try their hand at a new IP, or go find one to publish. I suggested for risk-averse Nintendo to approach the folkes at Danjaq/EON productions, who own the James Bond license. Bond is cool, Bond is easy to market, if the rights are available, perhaps Nintendo could get them (or perhaps just rights to Bond FPS games). A Bond game with the same effort put into it as a Mario or Zelda would sell an easy 3-4 million and then other developers could look at that and say "oh, I guess there is an audience for something edgier here after all". 

What about Metroid? That's what I think of when "hardcore" Nintento is mentioned. They just need to boost Samus to mascot status (or more than she already is).

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

Osc89 said:
Soundwave said:

3.) Create (or buy) a flagship "hardcore" character IP -- Mario paves the way for a lot of the mascot/cartoon/license based content that floods Nintendo consoles, but Nintendo really doesn't have a similar beacon for the older audience. You could always let Retro try their hand at a new IP, or go find one to publish. I suggested for risk-averse Nintendo to approach the folkes at Danjaq/EON productions, who own the James Bond license. Bond is cool, Bond is easy to market, if the rights are available, perhaps Nintendo could get them (or perhaps just rights to Bond FPS games). A Bond game with the same effort put into it as a Mario or Zelda would sell an easy 3-4 million and then other developers could look at that and say "oh, I guess there is an audience for something edgier here after all". 

What about Metroid? That's what I think of when "hardcore" Nintento is mentioned. They just need to boost Samus to mascot status (or more than she already is).

1) Welcome to the forums

2) Not really viable. They tried that with Other M (to an extent) and it just ended up pleasing nobody. Metroid works best as a third tier Nintendo franchise (as much as i hate to say that) and should be given attention only after tier 1 games (like Mario Kart, 2D Mario, Pokemon, and Wii _____) and tier 2 games (3D Mario, Kirby, and Zelda)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Chandler said:

Good post but I think that Nintendo is already doing some of these things (2, 3) and I disagree with numbers 4 and 5. The uPad is fine apart from the battery but it's replacable and nintendo deliberatly let enough room for a bigger battery so you can pretty much bet that there will be one sold seperately in the very close future.

Using that extra space Nyko has gained three times the capacity: http://www.nyko.com/products/product-detail/?name=Power+Pak+for+Wii+U

Soundwave said:

I think they could make a smaller, sleeker model, and keep the bigger one around too (for order through Nintendo.com) for those whole want it.

Like the 2011 gamepad model? That one was more tablet and less controller.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Soundwave said:

The reaction on the pad that I've gotten from women tends to be negative. I get a lot "what the hell is that? Why's it so big?" (insert jokes here, but in all seriousness).  

Sorry to skip over the rest of this post, but this is the same reaction I got when I tried to show the WiiU to my fiance while we at Gamestop.

At first she was trying to use the controller and wondered why the demos wouldn't work, she clicked them and nothing happened. I of course told her that it showed up on the TV. So they already confused her into thinking it was a handheld.

Secondly, once she found out that it was the consoles main controller she said it was not only way too big, but it was confusing because she had to keep moving her view from one screen to the other. On the DS and 3DS this is fine because the screens are directly below and above one another, but with the WiiU I think Nintendo made a few mistakes, even if I like the idea personally.

I told her about how you could turn on SMBU and not need the TV and just play it like a handheld and she quickly replied : "That's why I have the 3DS and NSMB2 though."

Take it as you will. It's all just my household, but she isn't a real big gamer, so if they are aiming for the non-gaming sector again I think they might have a hard time.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

Back in the NES days... or even SNES Metroid was about as grown-up as you could get. The sci-fi, the bleakness the shooting, the creepy aliens. More adult themed titles are not totally foreign to Nintendo. Metroid is still somewhat like that, but unforunately the theme is a bit niche. It's like Aliens is for film... the name is odd and geeky, it's got a female heroine (who doesn't even look female which is double no-no) and the game is too methodical for most.

Nintendo could really use a game like Halo was when it launched. Cool, fresh, adult but not overly violent, long and deep but still action focused and mass-market friendly. Metroid could be that title but only with a major overhaul. The name would need to be changed (it could still be in the same universe, just not focused on the life-sucking aliens) Samus should lose the old outfit and get something more sleak and sexy (the bulky shoulderpads were only added because the gameboy couldn't show color anyway), the pace quickened slightly and maybe a second player co-op added with a cool new partner. A bad-ass alien or a male bounty-hunter with cool new abilities.

That said, I would prefer them just making a new IP. Like it was suggested, Retro is a great fit. They've recruited great talent from Naughty Dog and others. Make something fresh, action-packed and cinematic. It would complement the rest of the lineup so well. Metroid could continue being a niche thoughtful adventure game and this new series could make the WiiU fresh and cool. It would be great to have this and old favorites like Mario and Zelda. I have my fingers crossed that something like this is Retro's unannounced project, but I think the title will be something based on an existing IP.

I see where you're coming from, but I think the only thing I would really recommend Nintendo do (and what they should have started 2 or 3 years ago) was build a software strategy that doesn't leave "holes" needing to be filled by third party publishers ...

Essentially, move back to a second party strategy similar to what they had with the Gamecube with the exception that they would be funding (roughly) twice as many games. If Nintendo was producing 6 to 9 core, 6 to 9 casual and 6 to 9 cross-over games a year they couldn't produce games for every genre every year but they would produce enough games every year that most gamers would be interested in a handful of them; and, since third party publishers generally follow succes, there would probably be a lot of similar titles released for Nintendo systems as third party publishers copied the formula.

Nintendo has upped its capacity significantly. They've added staff to EAD and Retro, and they've formed some partnerships with Team Ninja, Namco and Platinum. They should get behind a couple more studios (Frozenbyte was mentioned... I think they have great talent and potential). When I played on NES I really only needed Nintendo, Capcom and Konami. Anything else was a bonus, but nothing that was a lasting memory. Even Final Fantasy was published by Nintendo. They just need two or three strong partnerships with a couple outstanding developers. Buy a piece of Platinum, Frozenbyte and be welcoming to Ubisoft, Activision and EA. Pretty much as they are now... maybe just a little more and they're good. GTA is the one big missing game. Maybe Final Fantasy too.

I like most of your ideas, but I disagree with number 5. The game pad is actually very light and comfortable. Also, Nyko will be coming out with some accessories that will extend the gamepad's battery life.

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

I really like your ideas!! If I have the time I´ll come back later and add in a few things I think would help too.