By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will New Super Mario Bros Wii be able to surpass LT sales of New Super Mario Bros or will NSMB maintain his first place?

Tagged games:

Pineapple said:

There's virtually no chance of NSMB Wii surpassing NSMB DS. Here's a look at the numbers.

NSMB DS has a 2.44 million lead on NSMB Wii.

In 2012, NSMB Wii sold 1.9 million, and NSMB DS sold 1.1 million.

NSMB Wii's sales have been as follows. 2009: 10 million, 2010: 10 million, 2011: 3.7 million and 2012: 1.9 million. If 2013 is half of 2012, and 2014 is half of 2013, then NSMB Wii is going to sell roughly 2 million more through its life. It's going to need to do very well to sell more than 2.5 million more. But that isn't enough, because NSMB DS is likely to sell at least a million more. That means NSMB Wii would have to sell at least 3.5 million more, which simply isn't going to happen.

I get wat ur sayin but dont forget, Price drop never happened! For neither of the games! Also just because last year it sold 1.9mil doesn't mean this year is reduced.... http://www.vgchartz.com/game/1582/new-super-mario-bros/Global/ ..... This shows the DS one go up from its 4th year to its 5th! Just saying, also its mario,it wont stop selling holidays for a least 3 years! It can pass 30mil.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
They are classics still sold at same price. Even after the consoles they were released on go the way of the dodo bird these games could still sell a while longer on the 3DS and WiiU. I remember the GCs games still selling a year or so after the GC was done.

NSMB will slow down a bunch this year though. Will depend on how long it takes for Wii sales to collapse. DSXL still has a few price drops coming!

Your right and with the install base (Wii) being roughly 4.5 times more then GCN it can maintain good sales for years (mostly holidays). Seriously even i couldn't believe MK DS and NSMB and NSMB wii were selling so well with their sequels being released! (especially MK)

This year New Super Mario Bros Wii sold 1.9mil declining 50% from last year.
This year New Super Mario Bros sold 1.1mil declinging 52% from last year.

Both games recently got sequels on their next gen consoles.
Both games's sales have been heavily declining over the last two years,(for mario games that is).

Assuming similar 50% drops over the next two years, and then irrelevent sales as I doubt the DS or Wii will be selling any meaningful hardware in 2015.

New Super mario Bros Wii will sell 950k, then 475k. Then irrelevently small sales.

New Super Mario Bros will sell 550k, then 270k, Then irrelevently small sales.

So New Super Mario Bros should get to 30mil, and New Super Mario Bros Wii should get to 28mil. New Super Mario Bros Wii shouldn't be able to pass it. Pricecuts could allow the games to sell better over the next two years. But considering both games are still full price, and New Super Mario Bros Wii is a much newer game, pricecuts would probably affect both games sales equally if not moreso help new super mario bros.