By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Team Ninja: Wii U console is next-gen

ninjablade said:

people posting small low res pics of xbox 1 vs 360 are ridiculous, why don't you post videos in 720p, 360 is a huge step up, PG3, COD2, madden 06 and cameo looks so much better then anything on xbox 1.

That's the problem though it's extremely hard to find such material on the internet UNLESS you create it yourself.

As you can see I already mady my own PGR3 pics and uploaded them. :)

Around the Network
KungKras said:
Mazty said:
“The Wii U is an infant that’s just been born. It’s a little unfair to compare it to mature platforms that people have been working on for over five years."

Not really. When the 360 came out PGR3 blew everything else out of the water in terms of graphics. If the Wii U wants to prove itself as being next gen, then it needs a title that clearly does this. In terms of efficiency it's clearly next gen shaving 100W off the load of the 360, but which gamer really cares about that?

Why does graphics have to be the only innovation determining what is next-gen?

Wii was next-gen, and so is Wii U. The motion controls of the Wii changed gaming far more than the HD graphics of the HD twins.

You are wrong to think it changed gaming... for a brief moment in time it got a lot of new people playing and some of them are still playing. It was an audience expansion, not an audience conversion.

The audience that converted favored the change to HD graphics and other perks on HD twins more than the motion control gimmick of any console.

Barozi said:
ninjablade said:

people posting small low res pics of xbox 1 vs 360 are ridiculous, why don't you post videos in 720p, 360 is a huge step up, PG3, COD2, madden 06 and cameo looks so much better then anything on xbox 1.

That's the problem though it's extremely hard to find such material on the internet UNLESS you create it yourself.

As you can see I already mady my own PGR3 pics and uploaded them. :)

it's a ridiclous argument anyway, the fact is launch games for 360 looks much better then anything from lastgen, just being 720p made a huge difference. anothere thing people don't seem to underdstant is when 360 launched develpers were not familiar with techinques to push the hardware, as 360 launch games were the best looking games out even on pc. it's clear as day light wii u is on par with current gen, if it was'nt then at the very least it would have better looking ports like 99% of xbox vs ps2 prts.

cusman said:
KungKras said:
Mazty said:
“The Wii U is an infant that’s just been born. It’s a little unfair to compare it to mature platforms that people have been working on for over five years."

Not really. When the 360 came out PGR3 blew everything else out of the water in terms of graphics. If the Wii U wants to prove itself as being next gen, then it needs a title that clearly does this. In terms of efficiency it's clearly next gen shaving 100W off the load of the 360, but which gamer really cares about that?

Wii was next-gen, and so is Wii U. The motion controls of the Wii changed gaming far more than the HD graphics of the HD twins.

You are wrong to think it changed gaming... for a brief moment in time it got a lot of new people playing and some of them are still playing. It was an audience expansion, not an audience conversion.

The audience that converted favored the change to HD graphics and other perks on HD twins more than the motion control gimmick of any console.

100% true, wii sold to none gamers that thought motion controls were amazing and could help them and there kids exercise, it was a fresh new concept that took off, at the sametime those people, are not loyal like your 360/ps3 fanbase that will keep on buying games and looking for to the new system, just look at the wii u in europe that system is as dead as it gets and i expect the samthing to happen in the us, nintendo has lost its gamer fanbase they have all moved to 360/ps3, who can blame them.

Soundwave said:

I don't think it's that great of a thing to be honest if those people were just interested in playing Wii Sports and Wii Fit because they were the hot new things for 2006-8 and now realize they can get the type of quick gaming fix they enjoy for $1 or even free on their smart phones/tablets. 

These people are not interested in, or never were going to play games like Zelda or Metroid. Even 3D Mario is probably over their heads. Wii Sports was a fun distraction/party favor for a while that lost steam a while ago.

This is myth that needs to die. It's just wishful thinking on the part of those who consider themselves "core gamers" who want to be the center of attention again. The casual crowd is here to stay. If the Wii's audience was the GameCube audience plus casuals, and the casuals were only interested in a few Wii games and then stopped buying them, the Wii would only have achieved slightly greater software sales than the GameCube. But that's not the case at all. The Wii sold over 4 times as much software as the GameCube. Those casuals must have bought more than 2 or 3 games -- the console has a tie ratio over 8. So either the GameCube quarter of the Wii's audience bought 50+ games on average, or the casuals bought their fair share.

The casual audience has not "disappeared." They have not "abandoned" the Wii. On the contrary -- it was the so-called "core" audience that abandoned the Wii. The casuals have been there through thick and thin. They were there in 2008 for Mario Kart Wii. They were there in 2009 for Wii Sports Resort and New Super Mario Bros. In 2010, Zumba Fitness, Wii Party. Through it all, those early games have continued selling. Do you think it's the "core" Nintendo audience still buying over 2 million units of Mario Kart Wii in 2012? Over 2 million of Wii Sports Resort? Almost 2 million of New Super Mario Bros. Wii?

It's not just the Wii, either. Was it the "core" XBox audience that made Kinect Adventures the best-selling 360 game in 2010 -- which, by the way, sold almost 5 million units in 2012? That bought over 5 million copies of Kinect Sports, released the same year, and again selling well over a million units last year despite being two years old? Does the so-revered "core" audience continue buying games by the millions years after their release? Halo: Reach, released 2010, didn't manage a million in 2012. GTA4 for 360, released 2008, hasn't reached a million since its launch year.

And my favorite example: Just Dance. The series that has sold almost 40 million units after debuting in 2009, just 4 years ago. 10 million a year on average. But let's break it down! Only Just Dance for Wii was released in 2009, and it sold almost 7 million units LTD. Not bad. Just Dance 2, released in 2010 for Wii, sold over 9 million units. Now that's growth! Just Dance 3, released in 2011 for all three major consoles, sold over 11 million units. How could the series grow so big so fast if the "casual" audience it feeds on have all moved on to $1 tablet games?

2012 was a slump year for Just Dance, although it's more like a transition year. Just Dance 4 will continue selling into 2013, but there's no denying its sales have fallen from 2011. How could this be? Well, the franchises's biggest platform, the Wii, was truly in decline in 2012. It received little or no software support the entire year, and much of the year before. In fact, it's a miracle that Just Dance 4 managed the measly almost 5 million sales it did.

Yeah, 5 million casuals were there for the Wii despite being shafted all year in releases. Man, if only there were some really core games released for the same console in the same year we could compare this to.... OH HEY, I FOUND SOME.

Just Dance 4 for Wii sold over 2.5 million units in the US in 2012. Xenoblade Chronicles, the high-profile first-party epic Nintendo RPG the internet was desperately clamoring for throughout 2011, was released in the states half a year before JD4 and sold under 400k copies. The Last Story, the epic RPG from the freaking creator of Final Fantasy that, again, the internet was desperately clamoring for throughout 2011, sold merely 150k in the US in 2012. The two games combined barely broke 500k, one-fifth the sales of Just Dance 4. "Core" games didn't fare much better in Europe, where The Last Story, released in February last year, barely sold 100k, while Just Dance 4 (October!) sold over 1.5 million.

Again... the "casuals" are still here. It's the self-labeled "core" that left.

And who cares if your "casuals" don't want to play Zelda or Metroid? Maybe those games just, I dunno, don't appeal to them. The same way Wii Sports doesn't appeal to you, yet the average Wii owner has dumped something like 40 hours into Wii Sports. Average.

Around the Network
Mazty said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:

Mazty said:

I think that is a bit of an exaggeration. I would say that PGR3 was an improvement but did not really blow "everything else" out of the water, nor did any launch game for 360 when comparing it to the original xbox.

Forza (Xbox)

PGR3 (Xbox 360)

Ninja Gaiden Black (Xbox)

Kameo (Xbox 360)

Doom 3 (Xbox)

Condemned Criminal Origins (Xbox 360)

Looking back, one must admit that the Xbox was truly a beast for it's time.

What resolution was the xbox?
Did you ever use one on a 720p+ TV? It looks terrible. Plus mixing and matching ingame to promo shots is hardly a fair comparison. 

Compared side by side here there may not be an issue, but blow both up to 28" and the difference becomes a lot more apparent. 

They were all "in game shots" and I was not mixing and matching to make one look better than the other. You can always go look through ign or watch videos of each of the said games and you will notice, again that there was not a substantial leap when it comes to what was coming out near the end of the xbox's life and the 360's launch. Actually, since videos do not lie, I'll provide  both Forza and PGR2.

Forza

PGR2

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

KHlover said:
Mazty said:
KHlover said:
Mazty said:
KHlover said:

The lower picture is Xbox1? The textures are far less detailed (compare the human to the monsters of pic 1) and seem to be a bit more muddy in case of the environment. 

Stop stalking my posts. 

No the textures are not less detailed. They are more detailed and the game is running at a much higher resolution. Stop stalking my posts trying to inanely argue everything - you mistake bump mapping and bloom for detail and ignored the 720p comment. 

That's a coincidence. Also, I posted first in that other thread. I'm not exactly stalking you. I'm just busy commenting on the hot topics.

Such a coincidence that you didn't respond to any of the thread relevant context in my post...*facepalm*

I only wanted to respond to your accusation of me stalking you.

@topic:

I can't quite agree with his definition of next-gen. I think he focuses too much on the innovation aspect. Also he seems to be a bit too fixated on the CPU and GPU. The WiiU garden and ZeldaU demo already showed a glimpse of what the WiiU is capable of with the outdated(?) CPU, we don't need to hear it again and again. Obviously it CAN be balanced out, so we shouldn't worry too much. 

The issue is that tech demos are never really a good demonstration of what a game will be like as a tech demo will be:
a) Ridiculously optimised
b) Playing to the GPU's strengths.

For example, look at some of the brilliant tech demos by Nvidia. Here's a good example:
http://www.nvidia.com/coolstuff/demos#!/human-head

Now that demo does run brilliantly on many cards, but in reality no game comes close to that mainly because it's just a static scene, just as the garden demo won't have AI involved etc. 

YukanaSenix said:

Why would you put a lot of money into anything that isn't a lot superior to the hardware you already have?
Such devices can be an addon these days - Kinect and Move showed it.
You even can add functions like 3D over Firmware Updated and all that stuff.

What you can't do is getting more power out of old hardware.
There you need an upgrade....a significant if possible so it lasts for 6-7 years again.The WiiU won't last that long and i don't think it will get supported the whole time like the PS4Nextbox will.Especially if the Next Gen Consoles make a huge leap from games before Uncharted/Gears 1 to The Last of Us and Halo 4.
And the stuff that is getting the people interested into buying stuff is VISUAL Power cause this is the first thing you will notice.

We won't get that on PS4Nextbox either but we are much closer to this than with the WiiU and this is what i call "Console Next Gen" cause it will be a huge leap.

If you want that kind of visuals on a console then get ready to pay up $500+. 

Nirvana_Nut85 said:

They were all "in game shots" and I was not mixing and matching to make one look better than the other. You can always go look through ign or watch videos of each of the said games and you will notice, again that there was not a substantial leap when it comes to what was coming out near the end of the xbox's life and the 360's launch. Actually, since videos do not lie, I'll provide  both Forza and PGR2.

Forza

PGR2

Riiiiiiiight, so where was the HUD for the Doom screenshot?

Also PGR2 was an xbox game, not a 360 game...

Here's PGR3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrqMEv3kW5c

YukanaSenix said:
KungKras said:
Mazty said:

Why would you put a lot of money into anything that isn't a lot superior to the hardware you already have?
Such devices can be an addon these days - Kinect and Move showed it.
You even can add functions like 3D over Firmware Updated and all that stuff.

What you can't do is getting more power out of old hardware.
There you need an upgrade....a significant if possible so it lasts for 6-7 years again.The WiiU won't last that long and i don't think it will get supported the whole time like the PS4Nextbox will.Especially if the Next Gen Consoles make a huge leap from games before Uncharted/Gears 1 to The Last of Us and Halo 4.
And the stuff that is getting the people interested into buying stuff is VISUAL Power cause this is the first thing you will notice.

We won't get that on PS4Nextbox either but we are much closer to this than with the WiiU and this is what i call "Console Next Gen" cause it will be a huge leap.

Wow, very nice. First scene made me think what could be done with a new Mirror's Edge...