By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Team Ninja: Wii U console is next-gen

Mazty said:
KHlover said:

The lower picture is Xbox1? The textures are far less detailed (compare the human to the monsters of pic 1) and seem to be a bit more muddy in case of the environment. 

Stop stalking my posts. 

No the textures are not less detailed. They are more detailed and the game is running at a much higher resolution. Stop stalking my posts trying to inanely argue everything - you mistake bump mapping and bloom for detail and ignored the 720p comment. 

That's a coincidence. Also, I posted first in that other thread. I'm not exactly stalking you. I'm just busy commenting on the hot topics.

Around the Network
KHlover said:
Mazty said:
KHlover said:

The lower picture is Xbox1? The textures are far less detailed (compare the human to the monsters of pic 1) and seem to be a bit more muddy in case of the environment. 

Stop stalking my posts. 

No the textures are not less detailed. They are more detailed and the game is running at a much higher resolution. Stop stalking my posts trying to inanely argue everything - you mistake bump mapping and bloom for detail and ignored the 720p comment. 

That's a coincidence. Also, I posted first in that other thread. I'm not exactly stalking you. I'm just busy commenting on the hot topics.

Such a coincidence that you didn't respond to any of the thread relevant context in my post...*facepalm*

if you guys read the whole article hayashi admits that wii u is not a step up current gen in terms of graphics but onlky in features, which i do not agree with.

people posting small low res pics of xbox 1 vs 360 are ridiculous, why don't you post videos in 720p, 360 is a huge step up, PG3, COD2, madden 06 and cameo looks so much better then anything on xbox 1.

N-Magic said:
ryuzaki57 said:
N-Magic said:

Team Ninja: Wii U processor not “horrible and slow”, console is next-gen

A couple of months ago, one Metro: Last Light developer made a remark stating that the Wii U has a “horrible, slow” CPU. But Team Ninja boss Yosuke Hayashi, responding to the claim, says this is not so. Hayashi feels the comment “was just 4A trying to find a scapegoat for a simple business decision on their part.”

“The Wii U is an infant that’s just been born. It’s a little unfair to compare it to mature platforms that people have been working on for over five years. I’m sure people will find ways to bring out even more power as the platform matures. To be completely blunt and honest, there’s no way that the Wii U processor is ‘horrible and slow’ compared to other platforms. I think that comment was just 4A trying to find a scapegoat for a simple business decision on their part.”

Hayashi does acknowledge that the Wii U may not be a next-gen console from the standpoint of its processor speed. However, he believes its next-gen nature stems from innovation and “Wii U being a new idea that challenges existing platforms”.

“If you’re basing this simply on processor speed, then it’s not next generation. If you’re basing this on Wii U being a new idea that challenges existing platforms, then it definitely is next generation. It is a console videogame platform that is now independent of the TV. Nobody has done that before. It’s no mistake to say that we have entered a period where it’s difficult to provide an obvious difference to many players based on processor speed alone. Players want new innovation that includes the environment in which you play and services you use, rather than just raw processor spec. Nintendo is at the forefront of that innovation. I’m looking forward to seeing what the other platforms come up with in the future.”

Can I have the link please? I'd love to know if he talked PS360 port of NG3RE.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/ninja-gaiden-3-producer-defends-wii-u-cpu-insists-console-is-definitely-next-generation/

Thanks! Looks like the interview will coincide with Razor's Edge release here. That is going to be hot...

But we do already have one fun part : "Hayashi and Team Ninja have sought to fix much of what so disappointed the series’ core audience". Honestly, did this guy think he would please the fans by denying them the game?

Around the Network
cannonballZ said:
ps3 and 360 launch titles looked awful. Not one game looked as good as AC3 or blops2. Wii u isn't leaps ahead of ps360, but it shows potential.

Are you kidding me? The graphical leap of the PS3 and 360 over the Xbox and PS2 was huge. 

Mazty said:
KHlover said:
Mazty said:
KHlover said:

Stop stalking my posts. 

Such a coincidence that you didn't respond to any of the thread relevant context in my post...*facepalm*

I only wanted to respond to your accusation of me stalking you.

@topic:

I can't quite agree with his definition of next-gen. I think he focuses too much on the innovation aspect. Also he seems to be a bit too fixated on the CPU and GPU. The WiiU garden and ZeldaU demo already showed a glimpse of what the WiiU is capable of with the outdated(?) CPU, we don't need to hear it again and again. Obviously it CAN be balanced out, so we shouldn't worry too much. 

didn't he say what everyone said who tried to bash the wii u? it has some new stuff like the gamepad but the processor is not next gen? i don't really see the difference of his message to people who try to talk bad about the wii u.

the_dengle said:
VGKing said:

Processor speeds and power can do more than just improve graphics. They can improve gameplay via better animations, physics...etc. Graphics is just the most obvious so its  mentioned the most.

About the Wii's  motion controls changing gaming.......is that a good thing? Did it change gaming in a good way? Are we playing Call of Duty with Wiimotes? No. There's a reason for that. The majority of people don't like playing "real" games with motion controls. They prefer tradional controls and they always will. The Wiimote didn't change their minds, the Wii U Gamepad won't either.

Yes.

And yes, motion controls changed gaming in a good way. They pretty much singlehandedly saved this from being the brown FPS generation. There was as much brown FPS shovelware as there was motion controlled shovelware, and the two overlapped a bit as well. But games like Metroid Prime Trilogy, Skyward Sword, and the actually-not-completely-terrible Wii Sports Resort and Kinect Sports redeemed motion controls. Even games that used them sparingly like Super Mario Galaxy and Flower still implemented them well, taking advantage of the opportunity for greater interaction that a new method of input presented.

Motion controls expanded the audience, and that is inherently a good thing. They did not sully the gaming community with an influx of casual gamers. Getting a wider variety of people to play video games is a good thing no matter how you look at it.

I don't think it's that great of a thing to be honest if those people were just interested in playing Wii Sports and Wii Fit because they were the hot new things for 2006-8 and now realize they can get the type of quick gaming fix they enjoy for $1 or even free on their smart phones/tablets. 

These people are not interested in, or never were going to play games like Zelda or Metroid. Even 3D Mario is probably over their heads. Wii Sports was a fun distraction/party favor for a while that lost steam a while ago. 

The casual crowd was like the hot girl at the bar that no one was able to get with, but Nintendo scored and got lucky. They were the "fun guy" at the bar that night. The thing is, the "hot girl" doesn't want a relationship, she was OK with a one-night stand, and turns out she actually has a boyfriend that she's trying to get back with (Apple). She goes to the bar every night and is hit on by a 100 guys and doesn't give you the time of day the next week. She's moved on to something else, she has the attention span of a gnat. 

Hardcore gamers are the girl who actually wants a relationship. She may not be as glitzy but she's in it for the long term, and Nintendo's been kind of stringing this girl along the last few years. 

Nintendo got high on themselves thinking they had the party girl at the bar, but now I think they're realizing that girl has ditched them. And so their profits and stock price have sunk big time since 2006-2009.

KungKras said:
Mazty said:
“The Wii U is an infant that’s just been born. It’s a little unfair to compare it to mature platforms that people have been working on for over five years."

Not really. When the 360 came out PGR3 blew everything else out of the water in terms of graphics. If the Wii U wants to prove itself as being next gen, then it needs a title that clearly does this. In terms of efficiency it's clearly next gen shaving 100W off the load of the 360, but which gamer really cares about that?

Why does graphics have to be the only innovation determining what is next-gen?

Wii was next-gen, and so is Wii U. The motion controls of the Wii changed gaming far more than the HD graphics of the HD twins.

Why would you put a lot of money into anything that isn't a lot superior to the hardware you already have?
Such devices can be an addon these days - Kinect and Move showed it.
You even can add functions like 3D over Firmware Updated and all that stuff.

What you can't do is getting more power out of old hardware.
There you need an upgrade....a significant if possible so it lasts for 6-7 years again.The WiiU won't last that long and i don't think it will get supported the whole time like the PS4Nextbox will.Especially if the Next Gen Consoles make a huge leap from games before Uncharted/Gears 1 to The Last of Us and Halo 4.
And the stuff that is getting the people interested into buying stuff is VISUAL Power cause this is the first thing you will notice.

We won't get that on PS4Nextbox either but we are much closer to this than with the WiiU and this is what i call "Console Next Gen" cause it will be a huge leap.