By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Kaboom: Nvidia Is Making Its Own Gaming System

That looks... Actually, I like the design quite a bit. I don't know if it's something I'd ever purchase. Seems like it would have to be expensive, no? Still, it'll be worth keeping track of for at least a little while, I think.

Hmm

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
Squilliam said:
The game console market has just got a heck of a lot more complicated than we imagined not long ago.

Yeah, just one year ago we all would have laughed at the thought of 4 new comers entering the market this year!!

nVidea

Ouya

Valve

And that other company....?

Onlive?

Yeah it'll be interesting how the market responds. I feel that tablets and basic gaming is likely to be more of a threat to Nintendo because they represent 'good enough' and the new services seem like more of a threat to Sony because they have tried to court the hardcore and/or PC/PS3 userbase but if the PC users don't need a console then they may end up dropping their consoles.

Tease.

I like it. depending on price i would want one

Squilliam said:

Well HDMI cables get very technical with runs over 30ft with repeaters etc required. Also there is the nice thing about having a touch screen input right on the device to drive the computer whereas with a long HDMI cable run you'd also need to work out how to get at least a mouse hooked up as well. This device looks pretty neat and I am looking forward to perhaps a more open standard based on this kind of technology which is GPU agnostic with more options for end use devices.

Edit: It also has a USB port so you could probably use it as a hub to plug in a proper KB/M setup if you wanted.

Great point!  I just skimmed the article, I wonder how many Steam games are supported, all of the Big Picture games?  I'll actually be less lazy and read it after this.... I'm wondering if other games will support this, If I can stream a game from my PC to this "console", then hook the "console" up to my TV downstairs from my PC and hook up a mouse and keyboard to it, it would be a great way to play MMOs without waking my wife up (my PC is in my bed room.)

Without reading through any deep reports, I have a feeling that Nvidia builds this device, because none of the big 3 manufacturers bought their tech for the next generation of gaming consoles.

And going for the handheld market with a at least similar formfactor like the Vita does not seem like a good idea to me.
I just made my first doom-thread regarding the Steambox. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=152371&page=1#

Maybe my 2nd doom-thread comes much faster than I thought.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
DanneSandin said:
Squilliam said:
The game console market has just got a heck of a lot more complicated than we imagined not long ago.

Yeah, just one year ago we all would have laughed at the thought of 4 new comers entering the market this year!!

nVidea

Ouya

Valve

Onlive?

Yeah it'll be interesting how the market responds. I feel that tablets and basic gaming is likely to be more of a threat to Nintendo because they represent 'good enough' and the new services seem like more of a threat to Sony because they have tried to court the hardcore and/or PC/PS3 userbase but if the PC users don't need a console then they may end up dropping their consoles.

I don't think it's Onlive... It's another console launching close to Ouya's release date...

Yeah, smartphones and tablets will take a chunk out of Nintendo's handhelds - but going by the 3DS Nintendo will continue to do quite well for themselves. I wonder how nVidea will factor in to this...? I can see Valve taking a chunk out of PS4 and x3ox market shares - but not that big of a bite. I'd be surprised if it sold more than 15-20m, I'm thinking more in line of 10m...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DanneSandin said:
Squilliam said:

nVidea

Ouya

Valve

No surprise in my opinion. The last gen showed that 3 home consoles can sell > 70M devices and 2 handhelds can sell > 80M devices. I thought someone else would try to enter, but my bet was Samsung.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

DanneSandin said:
Squilliam said:
DanneSandin said:
Squilliam said:

nVidea

Ouya

Valve

Onlive?

I don't think it's Onlive... It's another console launching close to Ouya's release date...

Yeah, smartphones and tablets will take a chunk out of Nintendo's handhelds - but going by the 3DS Nintendo will continue to do quite well for themselves. I wonder how nVidea will factor in to this...? I can see Valve taking a chunk out of PS4 and x3ox market shares - but not that big of a bite. I'd be surprised if it sold more than 15-20m, I'm thinking more in line of 10m...

I like how you spelled Nvidia btw :D Reminds me of Nivea.

OT:

Did I read this right, it only plays Android games on the go and when you are at home, you can stream your PC games to it?

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

DanneSandin said:

you mean the "Game Stick" thats currently on Kickstarter?

additionally there is Archos with the "Archos Game Pad" that's already out (essentially an android 4.0 tablet with physical sticks/buttons and an app to map controls of games to these)

Mnementh said:
DanneSandin said:
Squilliam said:

nVidea

Ouya

Valve

No surprise in my opinion. The last gen showed that 3 home consoles can sell > 70M devices and 2 handhelds can sell > 80M devices. I thought someone else would try to enter, but my bet was Samsung.

I just don't see these consoles selling too much... Ouya really is competing with smartphones/tablets head on - and will anyone really buy a CONSOLE to play android games?! And valve don't have the 1st party support a console... I don't even think Apple could enter the gaming market and be successful without first acquiring some game developers and getting some 1st party games going...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.