By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Kaboom: Nvidia Is Making Its Own Gaming System

Squilliam said:
DanneSandin said:
Squilliam said:
DanneSandin said:
Squilliam said:
The game console market has just got a heck of a lot more complicated than we imagined not long ago.

Yeah, just one year ago we all would have laughed at the thought of 4 new comers entering the market this year!!

nVidea

Ouya

Valve

And that other company....?

Onlive?

Yeah it'll be interesting how the market responds. I feel that tablets and basic gaming is likely to be more of a threat to Nintendo because they represent 'good enough' and the new services seem like more of a threat to Sony because they have tried to court the hardcore and/or PC/PS3 userbase but if the PC users don't need a console then they may end up dropping their consoles.

I don't think it's Onlive... It's another console launching close to Ouya's release date...

Yeah, smartphones and tablets will take a chunk out of Nintendo's handhelds - but going by the 3DS Nintendo will continue to do quite well for themselves. I wonder how nVidea will factor in to this...? I can see Valve taking a chunk out of PS4 and x3ox market shares - but not that big of a bite. I'd be surprised if it sold more than 15-20m, I'm thinking more in line of 10m...

Well it beats me sorry as to the other player.

I think smartphones/tablets are also threats to Nintendo's home console market. They responded to the threat of smartphones essentially by eating Sony's market and moving towards the core gamer with their latest handheld because a lot of the DS owners will probably be starting to play games on things like the iPad given the same kind of simple gameplay is easy to implement on them whereas the more complicated 3D games are much safer for now. I think the Wuu's tablet is an attempt to embrace the same kinds of games as the tablets in order to stave off some of the encrouchment.

The nVidia/Valve thing is an interesting development especially given how nVidia has been developing cloud gaming infrastructure. On the one hand you've got something for the hardcore gamer, I.E. the guy who spends $500+ on games / heaps on hardware whom you could say are the best customers so whilst they may be few their value is immense. On the other hand you've got the option of very low entry cost into gaming and streaming from their services and direct competition for customers from a Valve console so you've got competition for both ends of the market.

Interesting anecdote related to the 3DS now catering to a "core" audience, I mentioned in another thread that I had 16 street pass "hits" on my 3DS at Universal Studios last weekend.  The thing about it is, I believe 14 of them were teens or adults (based on the looks of the Mii and there welcome text being something I would expect from someone older), with only 2 "obviously" being children.  Now, this might just be because kids are less likely to set up the Street Pass functionality, but I did also see a lot of small children with Android Tablets (and with original DS consoles.)

Around the Network

This looks awesome.

I would be interested to see how the touch screen works- with the controller being underneath- could get awkward. Maybe a swivel and click function so it is back on top?

The pricing would be my only concern not to buy this. It needs to be reasonably cheaper then the 4th Gen Xbox/PS consoles, or it just simply won't be affordable.

So hyped for Rome 2: Total War

Spazzy_D said:
Squilliam said:

Well it beats me sorry as to the other player.

I think smartphones/tablets are also threats to Nintendo's home console market. They responded to the threat of smartphones essentially by eating Sony's market and moving towards the core gamer with their latest handheld because a lot of the DS owners will probably be starting to play games on things like the iPad given the same kind of simple gameplay is easy to implement on them whereas the more complicated 3D games are much safer for now. I think the Wuu's tablet is an attempt to embrace the same kinds of games as the tablets in order to stave off some of the encrouchment.

The nVidia/Valve thing is an interesting development especially given how nVidia has been developing cloud gaming infrastructure. On the one hand you've got something for the hardcore gamer, I.E. the guy who spends $500+ on games / heaps on hardware whom you could say are the best customers so whilst they may be few their value is immense. On the other hand you've got the option of very low entry cost into gaming and streaming from their services and direct competition for customers from a Valve console so you've got competition for both ends of the market.

Interesting anecdote related to the 3DS now catering to a "core" audience, I mentioned in another thread that I had 16 street pass "hits" on my 3DS at Universal Studios last weekend.  The thing about it is, I believe 14 of them were teens or adults (based on the looks of the Mii and there welcome text being something I would expect from someone older), with only 2 "obviously" being children.  Now, this might just be because kids are less likely to set up the Street Pass functionality, but I did also see a lot of small children with Android Tablets (and with original DS consoles.)

Well the sales of the 3DS support this as well.

http://www.vgchartz.com/platform/42/nintendo-3ds/

http://www.vgchartz.com/platform/1/nintendo-ds/

The 3DS seems to sell more 'core' in many ways it seems to have picked up a few of the PSP games like Monster Hunter and a few of the casual games don't seem to be selling like the DS. I guess your anecdote also supports the kind of sales these games are getting. The concept of 'free' or 'cheap' games is extremely casual friendly and piracy was one of the reasons why the Playstation did so well due to this effect so I suppose cheap games from iTunes counts along the same lines.

Tease.

I think that the release of this console will force us to rethink how the Vita is doing and actually consider it a mild success.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

The PC game streaming is a nice feature. But looking at the Wii U it makes me doubt this would stream properly all the way to the pool. 

Its so ugly and big that it wouldn't be an option to play it in public. And Indoors I rather use a big screen. For me personally its worthless. If the tech would've been inside a Vita housing this could've been a real option. 

Around the Network

It has a crazy look, it's supposed to be very powerfull, it has everything a normal controller has, it has android, it's Nvidia...
I love it. xD

Interesting. PC gaming starts expanding outside of Windows through many different Android based devices. It's the right way, Windows PC grew in an open, pluralistic HW world, the best chance for Android is to do the same and let the market evolve to naturally select the devices that will succeed. Just like Windows, Android compatibility will be the glue keeping all together.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Well that was unexpected...

It even looks quite good. If you could get Steam on the thing then I'd be all over it, but if it's just a glorified Android device then I'm uncertain.

Also, the 4k playback is cool. However, I'd imagine that would really inflate the price...

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

I think people are not considering how much this thing will cost. It looks like you may have to sacrifice a limb to buy this thing with the specs it has.

In a handheld market where the lower the price the better, I don't know how this device will fair.

"about the size of an Xbox 360 controller"? It looks like a 3rd party Xbox 360 controller and they point out the size lol