By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - A bit on Wii, PS3, 360 shipment figures

omgwtfbbq said:

@outlawauron

So? These rules didn't apply to the PS3 games that were given, but ok:

Sports game: Wii Sports
FPS: COD3
RPG: Zelda has roleplaying elements, as does super paper mario, where's the PS3's zelda like game?

wii sport - mediocre 6.5 from 1up

Resistance a hell of alot better then cod3, better reviewd.

White night Story or Advanture game like Uncharted, somethig new unlike same old zelda.

Around the Network
omgwtfbbq said:
blowfish said:
wii_are_better_than_ said:
Hus said:
FishyJoe said:
Hus, do you even realize every time you use the word 'kiddy' you're only making yourself sound completely immature?

no iam just not a kiddy idiot that refuses to accept the fact NIN only makes kiddy games.

their games are nothing but kiddy crap, saying nin has the best devs is a joke.

not every onea wants to play kiddy games.

and not everyone wants to sit alone for hours on some epic adventure against good and evil... yeah, so much diversity. If your not shooting at something or beating up something, it's kiddy, right?

The only PS3 titles that are insteresting to me are warhawk and Ratchet & Clank... the rest are the same "an epic journey where a warrior tries to right the wrongs of an empire blah blah blah insert overly dramatic story here..." games that have saturated the market for the last 5 years or are formulaic FPS games that have saturated the market for 5 years... I don't see how your going to say Wii has nothing but kiddy games when A) I could name atleast 5 that are in no way kiddy off the top of my head and B) The PS3 has the most limited game lineup of any system... unless someone is an 18-24 year old male, there isn't a whole lot to enjoy on the PS3.

How is the ps3's selection of games limited? It has rpgs - oblivion & enchant arms, it has fps's - resistance & call of duty 3, it has racers - motorstorm, ridge racer 7, formula one, need for speed and full auto 2, it has sports games - nba street, fight night, tiger woods, nba 2k7, virtua tennis, nhl 2k7, madden, baseball 2k7, pool, it has action games - marvel, the godfather, genji and the best fighter - virtua fighter 5.

The wii is the limited one of the two. Most of the wii's games are either mini games/none games or kids games.

really? Let's see:
RPG: Zelda, check.
FPS: Red Steel, check.
Racers: Excite Truck, check.
Sports: Madden, check.
Action: Marvel, check.

Looks like Wii has the same types of games as the PS3, PLUS those minigames that you all seem to hate (but are selling better than all the others combined.

You've done exactly what i said not to do, just because the wii has 1 or 2 games in a genre doesnt  mean that the wii is sorted for that genre when in reality it isn't. Red steel was a poor game and not in the same league as resistance or halo. Same goes for excite truck not in the same league as gran turismo or forza and if you want a more direct comparision motorstorm. The ps3 and xbox360 have more varity than the wii and most games that are out or have been annouced as coming out for the wii are more mini games/non games or kids games.

I had a blast playing Red Steel. I'm definitely looking forward to RS2. I hope to never again play a free-aim gampad based shooter in my life, I've never understood how people could enjoy it.

'Twas fun disarming everybody I could, both with guns and swords. :) 

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

REally how Wii sales will turn out depends on how shipment percentage goes.  As of now NA makes up 40% of shipments.  Japan makes up 34% and Europe/Other makes up 26% of shipments.  Really the strongest shortages are coming from Europe so I wonder how over the months shipments will be spread out.  If shipments stay the same til March 2008 then here's how the split will be if exactly 20 million are shipped:

North America- 8.00 million

Japan- 6.8 million

Europe- 5.2 million

But there's no telling if things will stay the same.  As with MS you could see a direct pattern as 60% of their shipments being to NA and 30% being for Europe, and the other 10% for the rest of the world.  It had that exact pattern up til Q4 2006.  Main reason is that sales were very steady for a very long time.  Lack of demand everywhere so same shipment patterns stayed.  The set limit never changed.  Didn't need to take away from one area to put into another area cause you had plenty.

But Wii is different as all 3 areas are having major shortages.  So it'll be interesting to see if NIntendo bumps up percentage shipped to Europe or simply keep it that same way.  If it stays the same then Wii shortages will most likely be over in Japan and NA by the end of the year.  But if Europe continues to only get that much then we all know 5.2 million isn't enough.  

So I noticed in The Source's sales that your expecting that the Wii will stop being sold out and very soon I might add.  I think Wii may pull somewhat of a DS.  Where it starts to relax but them come holiday season sales out all of them and then has a shortage in January and starts to level out in February and March.

So here's my split by March 2008 for actual sales:

North America- 7.3 million

Japan- 6.3 million

Europe- 5 million 

So as you can see NA and Japan will be pretty much over their shortage but still not many left over.  While Europe will still be quite sold out.  If Wii follows in DS sucess in Europe then there will definetly not be enough.  I think NA is where you'll see the most difference in actual sold and shipments because the American market is very large and is able to handle 3 consoles.  Unlike the rest they usually have one console that takes off and it's the only one that can stay up.  Thus you'll see the shortage die off a little quicker.  Japan will still be pretty tight cause right about now there is aposlutely nothing PS3 can do to reclaim Japan.  There is no game that can stop the Wii not even FFXIII.  PS3 at this same time in Japan will have been lucky to have sold 3 million.  But all my numbers are in relation to the percentage shipments I provided earlier as I really don't know how it's going to be divied out.  

As for 360 it's really hard to tell.  Japan is dead, Europe is stale, and North American is falling with the entrance of Wii and PS3 but mainly Wii.  With only 500,000 shipped last quarter due to overshippment of the previous quarter it would be interesting to see if MS could hit 20 million shipped by the end of March 2008.  Personally I don't think they can do it.  With only a projection of 12 million shipped by the end of June 2006, then the next quarter will have minimal shipments to save up for holiday season, we'll probably see at the most 13-14 million.  Then by the end of the Holiday season we'll either see MS pull the same antic and try and overship or we'll see them do it right.  If they overship they'll put out 4 million again.  This would leave them about another million at the most to ship in March 2008 if I'm really generous.  But if they don't overship then 3 million at the most.  Halo 3 is definetly going to push some sales but not enough to put MS in North America in a moment of shortages.  I don't think there is any game that could push that much hardware.

So a shipment breakdown of what I'd say 17 million shipped by the end of March 2008 for the 360:

North America- 10.2 million

Europe- 5.1 million 

Japan/other- 1.7 million 

Other will not go up much at all as there is no way it has even sold half of what it has already shipped there.  Japan has only had 350k sold and the rest could only possibly double that.  Europe I'm wondering if I'm being to generous as MS is only big in the UK.  And with 60% of their shipments most likely going to UK I may have been a little to high.  As for NA I'd say that's about right.  Of course this is all if MS ships exactly 17 and if they keep up their 60:30:10 shipment percentile.  

As for actual sales:

North America- 9.3 million

Europe- 3.5 million

Japan/Other- 1 million

Once again that would tally up to about 13.8 million.  Might seem low at first but with a console that's showing trends similar to that of the Xbox it should have similar years to that of the Xbox.

As for PS3 its always a tough cookie.  I mean you hear all the time that don't worry come 2008 it will take off.  So then most are pretty much putting it down for 2007.  I'd tend to agree with them on that but I think most say it will takeoff in 2008 is because they know it's not going to take 2007.  Kinda giving themselves hope cause they know of failure in 2007.  You see a lot of hardcore gaming sites and mags say this as well as many once again feel that 2007 is a failure for PS3 but your prediction is always safe with the future.  Many of these same people probably said that Wii would fail at launch.  Always keep that in note when you read a few of these PS3 will takeoff in 2008 and Wii will fail notes.  That is the main reason why they do say it.

But seeing as they and I both concede 2007 to the devil here is shipment predictions by the end of 2008 for the PS3 although it would help if Sony released their finance reports might as well take a stab.  Although their finance reports could change my entire number thoughts but this is what I think will happen including what I think would have been said in Q1 2007 shipment numbers:

North America- 4 million

Japan-  3.5 million

Europe/Other- 3 million 

This is a very rough estimate.  It's hard to account in the amount of numbers that Sony is going to overship on.  I'm having to look back and see the percentage they tend to overship on.  But to me it's going to be actual sales that I'll care about at this time which are these:

North America- 3 million

Japan- 2 million

Europe- 2 million

So as you can see it's very similar to that of the 360's start off just in different proportions.  This is all very rough as I don't know Sony's Q1 2007 shipment numbers and it's hard to calculate how much Sony will overship by.  But sales I think will be pretty obvious.  I think those are good numbers to go with.  But prediction all of this is a hard game to play so if I'm totally wrong don't rant on me haha. 

Guys, Hus is Canadian. Even if he wasn't a kid, the logic still wouldn't penetrate.

Anyhow, as to the alleged low-quality of Wii games like Red Steel or Excite Truck, those were launch titles for a system exhibiting a new gameplay concept. Remember N64 launch titles like Blast Corps? Sure, it was fun, but man... they had no clue about correct 3D control and the like.

Wait until Q3 or Q4, when the real games start coming out. Y'know, the stuff released after developers have had enough time to actually work with the new idea. Look at the games that release then - I guarantee you'll be seeing different trends.

Meanwhile, Excite Truck wasn't meant to compete with Gran Turismo, Forza, or even Motorstorm. It was just meant to be fun and to be a simple launch title for the Wii. Wii's still plenty capable of much more, and there ARE people out there developing exactly that.

As for the "poor reviews of Wii games", if you guys claim to be such hardcore videogamers and such, then pay attention to the facts. REVIEW SCORE =/= QUALITY LEVEL. I've seen some games do absolutely wonderfully by the reviews, then I hate the game and wish I never touched it. And it works the same way backwards, too. Sure, Wii Sports got a 6.5. But it's the game I've played more than anything else on my Wii. And Wii Play ranks pretty far up there, too. People like those games. They bring back the simplicity that was REAL gaming back in the days.  

Around the Network

The only thing a review score equals is someone's opinion.  That's why I don't read review scores to decide if a game is good.  The only way you can decide is to play it.  Otherwise your just listening to other's opinions.  Read up on the facts of the games in previews then make your decision to buy it or not.  Play it and decide if the game was good or not.