By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Are you Democrat or Republican?? Take the Quiz.

LOL, this link supports your claim about gun ownership rate vs. homicide rate.

http://www.objectobot.com/?p=476

The article finishes with "In other news scientists can’t figure out how Canadians watch movies and play videos games, and manage not to shoot each other.."

From the perspective of a Canadian, I just see no reason why handguns should be legal here. Homicide rates are really low here compared to the USA. Manhattan has an average of about 2,000 homicides annually for a population of 8 million people. Toronto's average, our closest city to New York both geographically and by population, is about 50-100 homicides for a population of 6 million. Windsor and Detroit are across Lake Erie from each other, clearly visible from the other, and yet Windors Homicide rate is less then 10% of Detroits per capita.

So In Canada, we don't need handguns for protection. I believe it's a negative thing to be able to own a handgun here because the vast majority of people here don't, and you would likely be the instigator to a Firefight if you had one, probably resulting in more deaths then less by owning one.

I guess in USA it's just different. So many people own guns there, that it's become the normal to see a gun in the house. Here, it's just unheard of (except for hunting, aka Rifles). There are 88 guns per 100 people in the USA, and that's just scary. Personally I think you guys are far too desensitized to this stuff.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
Kasz216 said:
Michael-5 said:

B) Ok, so you clearly don't have any scientific understanding background.  A "Significant correlation" is just that... one that is significant... as in scientifically proveable.  If a correlation is not significant that means that there is no proof, and it could just be there due to background data. 

Also... Singapore does not ban guns.

A) I assume you agree with my logic here.

B) I got my degree in Astrophysics...LOL Resorting to insult is indication of an inability to conjure up a more intelligent response.

Singapore doesn't ban guns, but they are heavily restricted.

Again, I agree that guns aren't the only reason why homicide rates are so high in USA (but it's a big factor in states like Nevada). I took a few classes in Law and I know that most homicides are alcohol influenced. Very few are planned out in advance, and the gun massecures are usually a result of psychological disorders. I know that homicide rates are more strongly affected by literacy rates and poverty, but I still see no reason why handguns should be legal. I also think the minimum age to own a rifle should be higher, every time I think about Virginia tech, it's a tragedy.

A Rifle does everything a handgun can do, and more. Plus it's difficult to conceil, so you don't have to worry about someone shooting you publicly as much.

A) No I just skipped it because you didn't know what significant correlation meant.

A) But you have no counter?

A) No i did two actually, I put it there in an edit.   What you were talking about is an ancedote.  A common saying here is "Data is not the plural of anecdote."   That said anecdotally there are tons of places where people leave their doors unlocked.  Generally they are small towns where gun ownership is very high.  Why?   Everybody knows and trusts each other.

B) The primary killing tool in America is actually a car... I think anyway.  I seem to recall something passing it recently. (not guns though)

I don't actually see your correlation here.  What do student shootings, often with rifles or shotguns, have to do with highschool shootings.... espiecally when you consider the fact that students legally can't own these guns?  

Additionally, one factor your overlooking is population...

RVDondaPC said:
I just read the first question and can already tell that it is poorly worded and will give off a false reading. It is the governments responsibility to provide jobs for their people, but that is done by legislating laws that encourage a free market and allow the private sector to develop not by collecting taxes and hiring drones.

The second question sucks too. Money from the wealthy should be redistributed to the poor that's the only way for society to succeed. , but how much of it and in what form it is given is the debate, not if it should take place.

This quiz is to determine if you are a brainless elephant or a delusional donkey. It has nothing to do with determining what party you belong to.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/reply.php?id=152358&quote=5008029

Me : "Some of those questions are just terrible though.

Wealth should be redistributed from the wealthy to the poor? Hell no, the poor need to work for their $$$. However people with more $$$ should be responsible to pay more for road repair, free public health care, and rehabilitation institutions. It's not redistribution since the money doesn't go to the poor, but the rich should be responsible for more since they can provide more."

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Kasz216 said:
Michael-5 said:
Kasz216 said:
Michael-5 said:

B) Ok, so you clearly don't have any scientific understanding background.  A "Significant correlation" is just that... one that is significant... as in scientifically proveable.  If a correlation is not significant that means that there is no proof, and it could just be there due to background data. 

B) I got my degree in Astrophysics...LOL Resorting to insult is indication of an inability to conjure up a more intelligent response.

Again, I agree that guns aren't the only reason why homicide rates are so high in USA (but it's a big factor in states like Nevada). I took a few classes in Law and I know that most homicides are alcohol influenced. Very few are planned out in advance, and the gun massecures are usually a result of psychological disorders. I know that homicide rates are more strongly affected by literacy rates and poverty, but I still see no reason why handguns should be legal. I also think the minimum age to own a rifle should be higher, every time I think about Virginia tech, it's a tragedy.

A Rifle does everything a handgun can do, and more. Plus it's difficult to conceil, so you don't have to worry about someone shooting you publicly as much.

A) No I just skipped it because you didn't know what significant correlation meant.

A) No i did two actually, I put it there in an edit.   What you were talking about is an ancedote.  A common saying here is "Data is not the plural of anecdote."   That said anecdotally there are tons of places where people leave their doors unlocked.  Generally they are small towns where gun ownership is very high.

B) The primary killing tool in America is actually a car... I think anyway.  I seem to recall something passing it recently. (not guns though)

I don't actually see your correlation here.  What do student shootings, often with rifles or shotguns, have to do with highschool shootings.... espiecally when you consider the fact that students legally can't own these guns?  

A) From my experience traveling the USA, that's not true. It's actually these small towns with 8 American Flags on each house and high gun ownership populations I found that most people have an unwelcoming personality, and locked doors. Suburbs, like those on Long Island were more likely to have door unlocked, but this is just my experience.

In Canada, large city or small, people still leave their doors unlocked. If anything, large cities have more unlocked doors since you're always so close to home.

But your right, anecdotes =/= Data. I was just making a correlation.

B) Are Cars used in homicides or accidental deaths? Regardless Handguns are up there, not Rifles, not shotguns. Control the guns more likely to be apart of violent crimes, that's all I'm saying.

My point is stonger gun control = lower homicide rates. If these kids didn't have guns there would be no school shootings, or at least not by students.

Your point on population, am I ignoring it? Manhattans Population is only 30% larger then Toronto's, yet the Homicide rate is about 2,500%-3,000% Greater. I mentioned Korea and Japan as places with the lowest homicide rates in the world, and guess what? Tokyo is the largest city in the world with 18 million people, and Soel is up there too with I believe 16 million. That's 225% and 200% the population of Manhattan respectively and the homicide rate is lower. Don't argue population density either cause Tokyo has one of the highest Population Densities there, and Toronto is more Dense then a lot of major US cities. In fact Toronto is the 5th largest city in North America, so :P

Kasz216 said:
Michael-5 said:
Kasz216 said:
Michael-5 said:

A) If Handguns are illegal, why do you need a handgun for rifle target practice? Protection outside of the home? It's called pepper pray, or a non lethal taser gun. Also aren't homicide rates 3x higher during burglery for residents with guns then those without? At least that's what it is in Canada.

B) What populations is this chart based on? What does each dot represent? a population of a thousand, a million, an entire country? Where do literally, the countries with the lowest homicide rate reside? How many guns per Capita does each spot represent? I'm not nit picking, I'm being specific, Texas has one the highest homicide rate in all the US states along with Michigan, New York, and I forget the rest. They also have the highest gun ownership per capita.

As for your link, I used google, and the first article for harvard states "We found that states with higher levels of household gun ownership had higher rates of firearm homicide and overall homicide.  This relationship held for both genders and all age groups, after accounting for rates of aggravated assault, robbery, unemployment, urbanization, alcohol consumption, and resource deprivation (e.g., poverty)"

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/research/hicrc/firearms-research/guns-and-death/index.html

A) That's the point.  Handguns shouldn't be illegal.  Pepperpray or a taser... good luck.   As for Burglary?  No.  In the US, we actually have VERY few home invasions where residents are home.  Gun ownership prevents "hot" invasion.

B) I told you.  The charts represent countries.  As for the rest. read the graph...

As for your harvard study.. you'd note that it's not a significant correlation.

Additionally, if you study the impact of gun control laws.  You find they tend to increase homicides.  Again, read the actual papers.

A) Why shouldn't handguns be illegal? What purpose do you have for target practice with a handgun when a hundgun is banned? I don't follow your logic. If you need target practice, use a rifle.

In USA you have very few home invasions when the residents are home? When is the last time you left your front door unlocked? I have never once been in the states and been to someones house, a friend or family, to find the house unlocked. In Canada it's common to have houses unlocked, robery rates in Canada are a fraction of those in USA, and I don't blaime just guns.

B) Doesn't matter if it's not an important correlation or not, guns increase homicide rates, simple as that. There is no reason to have a handgun. Why would you need a handgun for protection when no one has a handgun? Like I said countries which ban guns completly have the lowest homicide rates by far. Singapore, Japan, South Korea all have the lowest homicide rates in the world, and guess what? Guns are banned. Countries with low gun ownership rates in countries like Lithuania, Romania, Poland, Mongolia, and Hungary (.....wow mostly all countries in Eartern Europe and Asia....hmm..) also have very low homicide rates.

Read the papers I linked for you, I did (they are short).

B) Ok, so you clearly don't have any scientific understanding background.  Perhaps you didn't go to college?

A "Significant correlation" is just that... one that is significant... as in scientifically proveable.  If a correlation is not significant that means that there is no proof, and it could just be there due to background data. 

Also... Singapore does not ban guns.   You can keep argueing individual cases, but the actual data....

I mean, here's an idea... maybe countries in asia that have banned guns, have their guns banned because they've ALWAYS had low murder rates, therefore less people felt the need to own guns to protect themselves?  Due to asian cultures generally having a weaker culture of individualism?  Hence why world wide that doesn't really play out... and why decades of data are pretty much aligned against such a theory.

If you read the overview i posted it would somewhat explain some of this stuff better.

That's simply untrue.

Statistical significance means that the probabilty of obtaining the sample data is below the alpha-level (α=.05 usually, depends on how often you want to reject the null hypothesis) Also, even if there was a perfect y=x correlation between gun ownership and decrease in violence, that in no way would prove (as you put it) that gun ownership decreases violence. There's simply too many factors that could be attributed. It's like the case where ice cream sales  correlated nearly perfectly with drownings. The reason? People swim more in the same season they buy ice cream in: Summer.

Also the graph that you initially posted had just as pitiful of an r-value as the one Michael-5 posted, however you only saw fit to bring it to attention when the data did not support your claim.

Around the Network
DaHuuuuuudge said:
Kasz216 said:
Michael-5 said:
Kasz216 said:
Michael-5 said:

A) If Handguns are illegal, why do you need a handgun for rifle target practice? Protection outside of the home? It's called pepper pray, or a non lethal taser gun. Also aren't homicide rates 3x higher during burglery for residents with guns then those without? At least that's what it is in Canada.

B) What populations is this chart based on? What does each dot represent? a population of a thousand, a million, an entire country? Where do literally, the countries with the lowest homicide rate reside? How many guns per Capita does each spot represent? I'm not nit picking, I'm being specific, Texas has one the highest homicide rate in all the US states along with Michigan, New York, and I forget the rest. They also have the highest gun ownership per capita.

As for your link, I used google, and the first article for harvard states "We found that states with higher levels of household gun ownership had higher rates of firearm homicide and overall homicide.  This relationship held for both genders and all age groups, after accounting for rates of aggravated assault, robbery, unemployment, urbanization, alcohol consumption, and resource deprivation (e.g., poverty)"

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/research/hicrc/firearms-research/guns-and-death/index.html

A) That's the point.  Handguns shouldn't be illegal.  Pepperpray or a taser... good luck.   As for Burglary?  No.  In the US, we actually have VERY few home invasions where residents are home.  Gun ownership prevents "hot" invasion.

B) I told you.  The charts represent countries.  As for the rest. read the graph...

As for your harvard study.. you'd note that it's not a significant correlation.

Additionally, if you study the impact of gun control laws.  You find they tend to increase homicides.  Again, read the actual papers.

A) Why shouldn't handguns be illegal? What purpose do you have for target practice with a handgun when a hundgun is banned? I don't follow your logic. If you need target practice, use a rifle.

In USA you have very few home invasions when the residents are home? When is the last time you left your front door unlocked? I have never once been in the states and been to someones house, a friend or family, to find the house unlocked. In Canada it's common to have houses unlocked, robery rates in Canada are a fraction of those in USA, and I don't blaime just guns.

B) Doesn't matter if it's not an important correlation or not, guns increase homicide rates, simple as that. There is no reason to have a handgun. Why would you need a handgun for protection when no one has a handgun? Like I said countries which ban guns completly have the lowest homicide rates by far. Singapore, Japan, South Korea all have the lowest homicide rates in the world, and guess what? Guns are banned. Countries with low gun ownership rates in countries like Lithuania, Romania, Poland, Mongolia, and Hungary (.....wow mostly all countries in Eartern Europe and Asia....hmm..) also have very low homicide rates.

Read the papers I linked for you, I did (they are short).

B) Ok, so you clearly don't have any scientific understanding background.  Perhaps you didn't go to college?

A "Significant correlation" is just that... one that is significant... as in scientifically proveable.  If a correlation is not significant that means that there is no proof, and it could just be there due to background data. 

Also... Singapore does not ban guns.   You can keep argueing individual cases, but the actual data....

I mean, here's an idea... maybe countries in asia that have banned guns, have their guns banned because they've ALWAYS had low murder rates, therefore less people felt the need to own guns to protect themselves?  Due to asian cultures generally having a weaker culture of individualism?  Hence why world wide that doesn't really play out... and why decades of data are pretty much aligned against such a theory.

If you read the overview i posted it would somewhat explain some of this stuff better.

That's simply untrue.

Statistical significance means that the probabilty of obtaining the sample data is below the alpha-level (α=.05 usually, depends on how often you want to reject the null hypothesis) Also, even if there was a perfect y=x correlation between gun ownership and decrease in violence, that in no way would prove (as you put it) that gun ownership decreases violence. There's simply too many factors that could be attributed. It's like the case where ice cream sales  correlated nearly perfectly with drownings. The reason? People swim more in the same season they buy ice cream in: Summer.

Also the graph that you initially posted had just as pitiful of an r-value as the one Michael-5 posted, however you only saw fit to bring it to attention when the data did not support your claim.

That's exactly what I said with more words.  Additionally I'm not argueing that more guns = less crime.   I'm argueing there is no correlation... at best their is a slight counter correlation to the opposite.

Michael-5 said:
Kasz216 said:
Michael-5 said:
Kasz216 said:
Michael-5 said:

A) No i did two actually, I put it there in an edit.   What you were talking about is an ancedote.  A common saying here is "Data is not the plural of anecdote."   That said anecdotally there are tons of places where people leave their doors unlocked.  Generally they are small towns where gun ownership is very high.

A) From my experience traveling the USA, that's not true. It's actually these small towns with 8 American Flags on each house and high gun ownership populations I found that most people have an unwelcoming personality, and locked doors. Suburbs, like those on Long Island were more likely to have door unlocked, but this is just my experience.

In Canada, large city or small, people still leave their doors unlocked. If anything, large cities have more unlocked doors since you're always so close to home.

But your right, anecdotes =/= Data. I was just making a correlation.

B) Are Cars used in homicides or accidental deaths? Regardless Handguns are up there, not Rifles, not shotguns. Control the guns more likely to be apart of violent crimes, that's all I'm saying.

My point is stonger gun control = lower homicide rates. If these kids didn't have guns there would be no school shootings, or at least not by students.

Your point on population, am I ignoring it? Manhattans Population is only 30% larger then Toronto's, yet the Homicide rate is about 2,500%-3,000% Greater. I mentioned Korea and Japan as places with the lowest homicide rates in the world, and guess what? Tokyo is the largest city in the world with 18 million people, and Soel is up there too with I believe 16 million. That's 225% and 200% the population of Manhattan respectively and the homicide rate is lower. Don't argue population density either cause Tokyo has one of the highest Population Densities there, and Toronto is more Dense then a lot of major US cities. In fact Toronto is the 5th largest city in North America, so :P

You keep jumping topics.

Mass shootings, like those in columbine and general homicides have very different factors.

Mass shootings as best as anyone can tell are largely due to mental illness. (very few people like this are caught alive so research is somewhat untested)   Hence population would matter.

Homicides, generally are a combination of "Honor" culuture,  individualism, poverty, crime, mental issues and a number of other factors.  Hence population wold be a very small factor.

Kasz216 said:
(Words, Oh so many words)

That's exactly what I said with more words.  Additionally I'm not argueing that more guns = less crime.   I'm argueing there is no correlation... at best their is a slight counter correlation to the opposite.

-_-

You peppered your sentences with condescension because Michael-5 was incorrect as to what statistical significance is, when you only cement my initial claim that you don't understand it either by making up terms such as "counter correlation".

sorry if I seem anal about this, I'm a statistician for the US gov't, and it really irks me when people get this shit wrong

Wow, that first quiz was biased. It seems to be written by someone with an enormous vendetta against affirmative action. And I say this as somebody who detests affirmative action.

I don't think anyone has ever proposed changing your tax rate based on race.

Anyway, it gave me 82% Republican, 30% Democrat. The other was 86% Republican, 60% Democrat. I don't see where this is coming from because I am not socially conservative in the least and because it has been a fair while since the Republicans supported free markets.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

DaHuuuuuudge said:
Kasz216 said:
(Words, Oh so many words)

-_-

You peppered your sentences with condescension because Michael-5 was incorrect as to what statistical significance is, when you only cement my initial claim that you don't understand it either by making up terms such as "counter correlation".

sorry if I seem anal about this, I'm a statistician for the US gov't, and it really irks me when people get this shit wrong

cby ounter correlation i mean negative correlation.  Trying to put it into terms that he can understand.  Since he geniunely seems to be interested.   Like when people say "Reverse Racism" even though there is no such thing as "Reverse Racism" 

There generally tends to be a negative correlation.  Which is likely... completely unrelated.

As for there being no statistical significance... Look at the last link he posted.

What's the point of talking about Alpha when nobody knows what Alpha is?  (Note for others... see Correlation Coefficent) 

In general, you can often eyeball a linear regression trend line and know when it's not significant.  Unless someone built their graph in a stupid way stretching out either the X or Y.