By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why so many Wii U doom threads?

Does this "doom" threads make sense?

Yes 35 24.65%

No 107 75.35%

Total:142
ryuzaki57 said:
Gnac said:
ryuzaki57 said:
Gnac said:
We can't have good news about it, because it will anger some of our more sensitive users.

Nintendo's success is personally insulting to some people, so they pour their energy into spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt.

No. We talk hard facts and numbers.

Did you think my post was calling you out, or something?

I just wanted to point out that what are discussed in those threads are arguments and not senseless hate.

Sometimes it's both. You cannot say with absolute certainty the intentions behind each and every post here, and to suggest that they are all grounded in hard facts and numbers is ludicrous.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Around the Network
CCFanboy said:

1. But the wii u launch is not weak though. It seems like it because you are comparing it ps3 and 360 at this time and not when they came out. Compare the launch titles and third party support, not only in terms of variety but also in terms of quality, looks far superior then ps3 and 360. 360 and ps3 both had a call of duty game and so does wii u. Both launched with shoddy sports games and so did wii u. Basically the usual suspects are accounted for already. Then when you look at what is announced for this year it might seem bad but again, the majority of multiplats are on established systems. It was no different with the others when they came out. Gears came out just before 360 hit it's first year. Tekken 6, mass effect, devil may cry, grand theft auto iv, lost planet, metal gear solid 4, final fantasy xiii, these were all announced prior to the systems coming out but didn't surface until much later. That is what I am saying. To counter far cry this has aliens. To counter obvlivion this has monster hunter. I am looking at this from a first year perspective. That is why I don't really see it as worrying.

2.  didn't ignore the post. The opinion was thrown when you asked if I was saying multiplats are pointless. When I said I believe people throwing the criticism is multiplatform users its based on what I read of people here posting at launch. People on this forum who know individuals or work at game shops have said they spoke to people who complained about third party support but didn't take the option at launch. I actually saw a confession from a user on gamefaqs (though I don't post there) where he admitted he didn't buy the games on wii. Assumptions they may be. But there is some slight evidence backing them. I know certain users here are just using third party support to criticize the system and don't care anyway (one example being Turkish). I know people will use third party support as a genuine criticism when they own one but a lot don't seem to do anything about it. I am not accounting it being everyone. I am counting it being a majority. I would love it if there were people who joined in with me. If you saw multiplats on wii u that came day and date I would be thrilled if you bought it on wii u. It would mean you are taking it seriously and not just playing around like the user on gamefaqs.

3 - 4. I have absolute proof that announcements are being delayed. Splinter cell has been heavily hinted at by retailers and ghost sniper (whatever it is) has been rated by esrb. But the proof that nintendo is intentionally holding off is here.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/10/15/report-major-square-enix-game-receiving-wii-u-port-by-mass-effe/

I remember straight right saying they wanted this game announced last year. Why does this one matter? Because it is confirmed to be a multiplat release this year. That hints (though doesn't confirm) that there are multiplat releases coming this year that wii u will get the same day as the others. You highlight the companies but nintendo has an awful lot of control over it. Note =  I am sick of this myself. But I have to sit back because they aren't saying anything. Trust me on this. I at least see this square leak as some kind of light. Not only that but I believe nintendo plan to make a habit of this publishing. I don't know why they are doing this. It is only hurting them and it is really getting at me because I bought wii u and am enjoying it.

5. But that is because people are spending less. Thats what it is. It shouldn't matter that it is selling less then vita because people aren't spending here. I already had this discussion weeks ago. It would not be any different if the others launched. Consoles are just not a luxury people can afford here. If it was normal circustances it would be selling as well as the others but the market is a lot harder to crack in europe then it was back then. That is why I highlighted the 100, 000 10 week vita sales as doing fine. It really doesn't surprise me if france and germany were buying more in europe.

I see it as acceptable because of that. Just look at how much hardware sales have fallen in the uk overall this year. It was confirmed to have sold out in several places in europe the first week it came out so it must have had some kind of momentum. This is how I see it, the system has managed to outsell both ps3 and 360 in total units for the same time frame. If that doesn't make a successful launch I don't know what does. Trust me on this, europe will pick up as more games come out and the price comes down. I bet you the others struggle here just as much if the economy doesn't improve over the next year.

1.) You're comparing something totally different. I'm talking about the fact that so many 3rd party developers are ignoring the Wii U. They are releasing games, but they aren't releasing them on the Wii U. This didn't happen during the launch of the HD consoles. When 3rd party developers released games, they released them on the HD consoles. If 3rd parties didn't release games on the HD consoles, it was becaue they weren't releasing games at all.

2.) Excellent, it looks like we've come to an agreement. You agree that it's valid criticism to note the Wii U's lack of multiplats if the person is actually interested in them. Great, we agree that it's valid criticism.

3.) Remember, the criticism was of support for the Wii U pre-E3. I agree some multiplats may eventually make their way to the Wii U as late ports, but it's highly unlikely, this far into their development, that they would be released pre-E3. Based on actual annoncements, for the next few months, many 3rd party developers are releasing games but flat out ignoring a Wii U port. The Wii U may get some late ports, but until then, Wii U owners are going to miss out on games that the HD consoles are getting. I think that's valid criticism.

5.) Actually, Europe doesn't appear to be showing any major decreases in spending habits compared to USA. 

TOTAL YEARLY HARDWARE SALES

Year USA Europe
2009 30,770,891 27,083,650 88.0%
2010 29,394,692 23,704,214 80.6%
2011 26,034,842 23,033,785 88.5%
2012 19,915,946 17,296,580 86.9%

As you can see, Europe spending has been pretty much consistent with USA's and there hasn't been any drops. Sure, the economy may be rough, but video game hardware hasn't taken a hit. That being said, why are the Wii U's Europe sales so low compared to it's USA sales? Clearly, it's not an economy issue as Europe spending habits have been seeing similar trends as USA. Obviously, there's a problem with the Wii U and not with Europe. And that's a problem of valid concern.

it's not always nintendo hatters making those threads. it's nintendo fans aswell. shocking isn't it.

how about this for a doom thread. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=152409
why should one fail and the other dominate when the other hasn't even gone to market yet.

spurgeonryan said:
Seriously? In the past year I made like 33 vita doomed threads. It is just going to happen when expectations are not met.

While I think doom threads are incredibly stupid, this is correct. If you want postivity about something, stick with the normal thread. You could practically replace Wii U with Vita and the entire statement remains true.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

It will be rough year, so better go and be ready.
It doesn't have games announced coming after Q2, no big guns showed, bad sales in EU and slightly dissapointing in USA.

I cannot think in many good news to talk about.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
Jay520 said:

1.) You're comparing something totally different. I'm talking about the fact that so many 3rd party developers are ignoring the Wii U. They are releasing games, but they aren't releasing them on the Wii U. This didn't happen during the launch of the HD consoles. When 3rd party developers released games, they released them on the HD consoles. If 3rd parties didn't release games on the HD consoles, it was becaue they weren't releasing games at all.

2.) Excellent, it looks like we've come to an agreement. You agree that it's valid criticism to note the Wii U's lack of multiplats if the person is actually interested in them. Great, we agree that it's valid criticism.

3.) Remember, the criticism was of support for the Wii U pre-E3. I agree some multiplats may eventually make their way to the Wii U as late ports, but it's highly unlikely, this far into their development, that they would be released pre-E3. Based on actual annoncements, for the next few months, many 3rd party developers are releasing games but flat out ignoring a Wii U port. The Wii U may get some late ports, but until then, Wii U owners are going to miss out on games that the HD consoles are getting. I think that's valid criticism.

5.) Actually, Europe doesn't appear to be showing any major decreases in spending habits compared to USA. 

TOTAL YEARLY HARDWARE SALES

Year USA Europe
2009 30,770,891 27,083,650 88.0%
2010 29,394,692 23,704,214 80.6%
2011 26,034,842 23,033,785 88.5%
2012 19,915,946 17,296,580 86.9%

As you can see, Europe spending has been pretty much consistent with USA's and there hasn't been any drops. Sure, the economy may be rough, but video game hardware hasn't taken a hit. That being said, why are the Wii U's Europe sales so low compared to it's USA sales? Clearly, it's not an economy issue as Europe spending habits have been seeing similar trends as USA. Obviously, there's a problem with the Wii U and not with Europe. And that's a problem of valid concern.

1. Ahh I see what you are saying. But my argument is still valid in this scenario. They were developing games for ps3 and 360 but they took time to surface. Excluding wii u from some multiplats this year shouldn't be a concern to anyone who knows about a console launch. People are just jumping the gun because its nintendo. The way I see it, having few games released in the first year is the same as missing out on some multiplats. It doesn't mean wii u is being ignored. It is likely because of two reasons. Wii u was too late for some to see a port as worth it without delaying the game. These games have been in development for years remember. Then you factor its a new console getting off the ground.

I am sure there are multiplat games coming to wii u later. It just needs time. To me the lack of multiplats this year just equates the lack of releases in general for the other systems. Thats how I see it. But I see where you are coming from now.

3. Late ports would be great for me.  I would love to see late ports of doa, gta v, dark souls ii or tomb raider. But it is 2014 releases that are more important. Day and date releases later down the line. That is what shows what is going on with third party support. Iwata said they are doing their best to make sure it isn't excluded. I believe him. It doesn't garuntee wii u will get everything but nobody can promise their platform is supported forever. They are definitely acting upon their feedback. If it gets to mid - late 2014 and things don't stick then I will start asking questions. Until then I will wait and see what they have.

5. Hardly a problem of valid concern when you don't have anything else to truly compare it to. Handhelds in general sell more then consoles. When the others come out we have something more to go on. Also, a few days ago it was reported that things have shrunk in the uk. But the lack of sales can equate to other things as well. Maybe europe just doesn't want consoles as much anymore.

I garuntee as more games come out things will change.

One more thing to complete my year = senran kagura localization =D

PlaystaionGamer said:
Because its new. Same as Vita! Although WiiU seems to have taken the doom of vita.
The WiiU is doing good. It's new and a lot of people don't know about it yet. Lets just give it time :)

Oh come on, do you really believe that?

The sales are pretty bad from a new tech/christmas time stand point.

I've said it before and i'm going to keep saying it...the controller is too frigging big and goes against everything that made WII so successful...simplicity.  People are looking at it and going "err wtf".  

It's hard here(i'm guilty myself over and over) of disconnecting your "hardcore" beliefs from what the "average" joe sees.  I see some nice cool tech that i'm loving, but I can see the layman looking at the WiiU and going "holy wtf...complex, why do I need to hold a brick to play a game" type of mentality.  I can TOTALLY see that being the case here.

How about that xbox360 errr WIIu "pro" controller.  As far as I'm concerned, tons of WIIU owner's are going to have to buy one just to keep their game playing simple.  Auto addons are NEVER received with happy feelings.