By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why so many Wii U doom threads?

Does this "doom" threads make sense?

Yes 35 24.65%

No 107 75.35%

Total:142
Deoz said:
why not? is selling lower than expectations (i belive) like the 3ds, vita, ps3 it will get lots of doom opinions and news. When it start doing better it will stop. From now on enjoy the ride.

It has sold more then ps3 and 360 at this point. The truth is nobody knows what the 'expectations' are but nintendo. We know their target is 5.5 million systems shipped before the end of march and they look like they will hit close to that if they don't succeed.

One more thing to complete my year = senran kagura localization =D

Around the Network
pokoko said:
Could you link the threads, please? I haven't noticed that many "doom" threads. I've seen comparison threads and I've seen threads inviting people to analyze the situation, but that's kind of what this forum does.

I should probably fix the tittle, the threads I'm referring are not necessarily doom threads (that's why I put them in quotations), it's more about the comments in those threads..."Wii U will be the next GameCube", "PS4 and 720 will kick the Wii U ass", "Wii U will be a massive failure" (comments not exactly mentioned but pretty similar) so on and so forward. 

Nintendo and PC gamer

Because Wii U was supposed to outsell LT Vita on launch day, it didn't so it's more doomed than a already very-doomed doomed system.

CCFanboy said:
bananaking21 said:
well the way i see it, some nintendo fans have been bashing sony/ms (mostly sony) fans for years over psp/ps3 and now the vita. ps3 and 360 fans have been going at it for years too. now a new console comes out and its selling less than the other consoles. now some ps3 fans who have been being mocked by some nintendo fans are just reacting or getting back to what some nintendo fans put them through. sounds pretty stupid right? well thats the way it is lol (sadly)

I thought it was sega fanboys. They still blame nintendo and sony for dreamcast failing so they post so much doom and gloom on these two. I suspect some of these people still have some inner sega fanboy who think because sega went third party these two should as well. But the reality is it is so rare for brands as established as nintendo or playstation to fail. That is why I have consistently said vita will likely pull through in the end. Wii u is too early to bother thinking about.

wait so your telling me a lot of these posted can be sega fanboys undercovered? HOLY SHIT!! 

seriously though the thing is people here judge WAY to soon, if something is having a slow start doesnt mean its dead, ps3 proved this, the vita will too soon. and the WiiU will show that you dont have to come running out the gate to be successful. 

osed125 said:
pokoko said:
Could you link the threads, please? I haven't noticed that many "doom" threads. I've seen comparison threads and I've seen threads inviting people to analyze the situation, but that's kind of what this forum does.

I should probably fix the tittle, the threads I'm referring are not necessarily doom threads (that's why I put them in quotations), it's more about the comments in those threads..."Wii U will be the next GameCube", "PS4 and 720 will kick the Wii U ass", "Wii U will be a massive failure" (comments not exactly mentioned but pretty similar) so on and so forward.

Negative comments by random users are going to happen, though.  It will be the same for the PS4 and Xbox 720.  There will always be fanboys who will jump to the conclusions that they want, which is that other consoles fail.  This should really just be ignored.

Some of the criticism is warranted, of course, and there is nothing wrong with that, as long as it's accurate.  The 3DS and the Vita had valid reasons for negative press and I'm sure the same will be true for all next gen devices.  Saying "Nintendo needs to address the Europe situation" or "the Wii U's pre-E3 line-up is weak" might be negative, but they are also valid opinions.  The "lol Wii U is doomed" statements are, of course, meaningless.

The one thing that bugs me is that so many people who said the PS3 is a failure because it lost market share from the PS2 have now reversed course with the Wii and Wii U.  These people should be called out for being hypocrites and deserve every bit of flack they get.  That's a separate issue from the Wii U itself, though, and should be directed at the people who said it rather than Nintendo.

Around the Network

Point blank? There are several "hardcore gamer" posters that want Nintendo to fail so badly that they can't help themselves. You see them in multiple threads. It's the same guys over and over again.

pokoko said:

Negative comments by random users are going to happen, though.  It will be the same for the PS4 and Xbox 720.  There will always be fanboys who will jump to the conclusions that they want, which is that other consoles fail.  This should really just be ignored.

Some of the criticism is warranted, of course, and there is nothing wrong with that, as long as it's accurate.  The 3DS and the Vita had valid reasons for negative press and I'm sure the same will be true for all next gen devices.  Saying "Nintendo needs to address the Europe situation" or "the Wii U's pre-E3 line-up is weak" might be negative, but they are also valid opinions.

I don't see how it is valid. It just requires patience. Sure you can argue a lack of announcements prior to e3 is bad but it may also be because, microsoft at least, is set to reveal new hardware and they are going to unleash huge surprises. The thing about this is we have evidence nintendo is keeping things close to it's chest. So no I don't see it as a valid criticism.

As for needing to address it in Europe, the economy is completely different here now then when the others launched. Any new system launching under these conditions would struggle here.

One more thing to complete my year = senran kagura localization =D

CCFanboy said:
pokoko said:

Some of the criticism is warranted, of course, and there is nothing wrong with that, as long as it's accurate.  The 3DS and the Vita had valid reasons for negative press and I'm sure the same will be true for all next gen devices.  Saying "Nintendo needs to address the Europe situation" or "the Wii U's pre-E3 line-up is weak" might be negative, but they are also valid opinions.

I don't see how it is valid. It just requires patience. Sure you can argue a lack of announcements prior to e3 is bad but it may also be because, microsoft at least, is set to reveal new hardware and they are going to unleash huge surprises. The thing about this is we have evidence nintendo is keeping things close to it's chest. So no I don't see it as a valid criticism.

As for needing to address it in Europe, the economy is completely different here now then when the others launched. Any new system launching under these conditions would struggle here.

If that's not valid criticism, then what is?  Serious question.

I can't think of any criticism for the Wii U more valid that it's Europe sales and pre-E3 lineup. If you don't consider those to be valid examples of criticism, then it seems like you believe there's no valid criticism for the console, which I'm sure you don't believe. So what are some valid examples of criticism for the Wii U, if any at all?

osed125 said:

In the spam of just ….1 day, we had at least 3 or 4 threads about the Wii U selling bad or not making expectations and blah blah blah. Some of those aren't specifically doom threads but it shows a lot of negativity about the console, and why? The thing has only be out for less than 2 months and people are already getting worried or happy about its "low" sales (which doesn't makes much sense since is selling ok).

I'm wondering why this is the case, are Nintendo haters desperate to hit on the console? Are some other console fans want to make their consoles look better? This is getting crazy, not even the Vita had so many "doom" threads in so a short amount of time and unfortunately the thing is selling horrible.

It's clear the Wii U is selling at a nice paste, not as incredible as the Wii but better than the 360 and the PS3 at launch, so there is no reason for "doom" threads.

As Nintendo fans we all know how stupid this doom threads are, and I'm sure a lot of Sony fans felt (and are felling) the same way with the Vita. It's stupid how some have the need to say a consoles or handheld is doom , especially when it makes little sense.

Because there is no way that Nintendo is making only the amount of consoles they are selling at this point?   They are in every single store here right now is sort of a record for a new console.(and not the kind of record that makes Nintendo feel they're going to be printing their own money on WiiU any time soon).

If the 720 has anywhere near a decent launch the end of this year, they're going to break Nintendo over their knee in NA in a very batmanesque manner.  There won't be an old man with a sling to kick them in the spine and fix them either. ;)

Psyberius said:

Because there is no way that Nintendo is making only the amount of consoles they are selling at this point?   They are in every single store here right now is sort of a record for a new console.(and not the kind of record that makes Nintendo feel they're going to be printing their own money on WiiU any time soon).

If the 720 has anywhere near a decent launch the end of this year, they're going to break Nintendo over their knee in NA in a very batmanesque manner.  There won't be an old man with a sling to kick them in the spine and fix them either. ;)

Do you have numbers that say that? or only from your store? Either way in terms of shipped consoles the only opinion that really matters is Nintendo's one, which will know for sure in March. Besides aside from the most blind hardcore Nintendo fans no one expected the Wii U to be completely sold out on stores. And I can warranty to you that the 720 won't be sold out at stores (unless MS doesn't shipped at lot of consoles at launch).

Nintendo and PC gamer