By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Live: No Longer the Gold Standard

pokoko said:
Are people really using the MMO model to justify Live? Totally different animals, but okay ...

The level of defensiveness I see over Live always catches me by surprise. I, for one, and not saying Microsoft has to change their approach or that anyone else has to stop buying Live. Both can keep what they are doing to their heart's content. All I'm saying is that I will choose something other than Xbox next gen if Live continues in its present form. It's as simple as that.

Pretty much exactly whay I have to say as well. I used 360 as my primary console, tried the other platforms and found Live to be not worth the extra money. So next gen if XBL keeps charging for basic multiplayer (I don't care about cross game chat or other glitter), I'll switch to PSN if they still have free multiplayer at the very least. If I'm feeling PSN+ has value (like it does now), then I'll get that. But I don't see myself getting back into a position where I have to pay to play just MP.

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
dsgrue3 said:
It isn't about the money.

"Cordoning off entire sections of a game from people who paid good money for that product is indefensible"

This sums up what I've tried to convey. Can you address this and not the service itself?

I'm not going to get in an argument about this.  All I'm saying is XBL is a good service and that can't be denied.  Whether you want to buy it or not is your choice.  I've put countless hours into XBLG this generation and I've barely touched other services that use online.  That to me makes it all worth it.  Free is cool but I don't see them going that route, but instead they will continue to add value to it's service.  You are not going to convince people other wise.  They will either agree with you or they won't.  There is not much of a middle ground on this subject.

I don't want an argument, just want you to address that particular point to understand your thoughts on it as opposed to the big picture.

Specifically, I want you to address locking multiplayer content. I'm sure the entire XBLG service is great, but multiplayer content should be separated from it as that has next to nothing to do with MS and everything to do with the devs themselves that created that content.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
This is very true, very true. The term exploiting has been used many times before, and other companies like Activision have followed in Microsofts footsteps with a yearly subscription for upgrades as well. Huge fans of Activisions and Microsofts FPS titles probably give $160 to them in a given year.

What does CoD Elite do for you?

I ask this because I bought Black Ops 2 at launch and was the first CoD I bought since CoD4 and everytime we had "Elite" members playing they simply wiped the floor with everyone and it didn't take me long before I traded it into Gamestop and put it towards the 3DS I recently picked up.

CoD online can be damn frustrating. Fun as hell when playing with my friends, but we didn't play enough to warrant me keeping it.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Baalzamon said:
Lostplanet22 said:

Why is it okay for MMO developpers to do it?  Why don't we see every week a thread from fanboys about how it is stupid to pay every month for WoW or any other MMO?

If we want to get technical, that is a completely different situation.

Xbox Live is the console manufacturer charging an extra fee.  MMO's are the game developer charging an extra fee.

I'll also add; it took a loooonnng time for Square Enix, and Microsoft to come to an agreement to port FFXI to the xbox360. It wouldn't be fair for gold members to pay for Live, and FFXI subscription fee at the same time, so they allow Silver members access.

I bet Microsoft wanted to charge them, because in other apps like netflix you still need a gold account to use it right?

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Euphoria14 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
This is very true, very true. The term exploiting has been used many times before, and other companies like Activision have followed in Microsofts footsteps with a yearly subscription for upgrades as well. Huge fans of Activisions and Microsofts FPS titles probably give $160 to them in a given year.

I ask this because I bought Black Ops 2 at launch and was the first CoD I bought since CoD4 and everytime we had "Elite" members playing they simply wiped the floor with everyone and it didn't take me long before I traded it into Gamestop and put it towards the 3DS I recently picked up.

CoD online can be damn frustrating. Fun as hell when playing with my friends, but we didn't play enough to warrant me keeping it.

I heard that anyone can get Elite now. I doubt it failed to make a profit but Activision is bloody greedy, so they saw it as a failure being a premium product. I got COD recently, so I might upgrade. They claim they dropped the price to make everything"fair". I call bull because they wanted to dig their hands further into their gamers (especially the ones on Xbox Live). 

Heres the synopsis Elite and what it has to offer:

http://www.1up.com/news/call-of-duty-elite-costs-49-per-year

Around the Network
disolitude said:
Microsoft knows what they are doing with live. If people pay for online gaming, they are less likely to goof off, hack and cheat when they game online. Also skill based matchmaking doesn't work if online gaming is free and people can open unlimited accounts with different emails. If I rank up in a shooter, and feel like I'd like to go own some noobs, I would just open a new free online account.

Microsoft needs to keep up the good work with expanding live and adding features and not worry about making things free...

Actually, it's the value of Microsoft Accounts that make them prime targets.  People put serious effort into stealing accounts, they check them for value across the account, then they sell them off to others who do what they want with them.  Most of the "bad people" concentrate their efforts on Live.  Look at the EA Fifa fiasco.  Someone gets a hold of your PSN account and it's not that big of a deal.  They get a hold of a high value Live account and it can cause major headaches.  I've actually been trained as an Xbox support agent, the amount of time and effort they spend on preparing you against spoofing is unreal, and yet it still happens.  One of the first ghost calls I sat in on was a guy trying to get into an account "for his brother" who had "gone to the store but asked him to call support".

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Euphoria14 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I heard that anyone can get Elite now. I doubt it failed to make a profit but Activision is bloody greedy, so they saw it as a failure being a premium product. I got COD recently, so I might upgrade. They claim they dropped the price to make everything"fair". I call bull because they wanted to dig their hands further into their gamers (especially the ones on Xbox Live). 

Heres the synopsis Elite and what it has to offer:

http://www.1up.com/news/call-of-duty-elite-costs-49-per-year

I guess that means I just sucked huh?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

I don't get why the people who probably won't ever buy a XBox are the most vocal against live gold. MS has made tons of money on gold suscriptions during the last 10 years. I don't think they will change this the next generation, they will want to keep the income source. If you don't want to pay for live, do as I did, don't buy a MS console, there are alternatives.

kowenicki said:
ganoncrotch said:
bananaking21 said:
ganoncrotch said:
bananaking21 said:
sales2099 said:
How origional....sigh

All MS has to do is adopt a PS Plus approach.

technicially MS doesnt really have to do anything. a lot of people dont like paying for live and say they shouldnt have to, i agree with that. but its working for MS, so when thinking about it, if it aint broke, dont fix it

Indeed would be like saying that Nike has to stop charging a lot for their shoes or that Dr Dre Beats shouldn't be 300euros for a pair of headphones, if people are paying and still happy to have a few adverts in the bottom corner of the screen which generate an absolute ton of revenue for MS then why would they stop doing it?

it depends on what they want though. if they want more profits from xbox live, charge for it. if they want a chance at getting first place and outselling nintendo and sony, i think they need to make playing games atleast for free

I think MS's goal is the same as always has been, Make Money.

oh god...

Just like Sony and Ninty then and every other compnay on the planet.

yeah exactly, I just mean I don't think Microsoft are going to sacrifice the money they earn from adverts or Xboxlive gold to try and outsell the ps2 or to win a generation which is almost over, while those things are important to some people on the Internet, realistically MS wont shoot themselves in the foot to win internet arguments. They print money from xbl so they don't need to be the number 1 seller, each console in a home generates more money even just sitting there.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

What's the use in complaining? There are millions and millions of Xbox Live subscribers that are happy to pay for it. They know there are alternatives out there, but they just ignore them.