By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Post holiday WiiU sales are lagging, wii sales now hurting WiiU.

Metallicube said:
Let's calm ourselves Nintendo haters, we're still unsure on the shipments of the Wii U, and the console has yet to have a major title released for it aside from NSMB U. There is still Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Wii Fit, Pikmin 3, and Lego City stories this year alone, with the inevitable 3D Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros, and Mario Kart to follow.

Remember, PS3 was outsold by the GBA for awhile during its early years, and even the now massive DS was originally outsold by the PSP in its first year or so. 360 also got off to a pretty slow start, despite being the only next gen console for a whole year. With the exception of the Wii, and to a lesser extent the PS2, almost every console needs some time to build momentum.

First: This should've ended the thread.

Second: I don't know why you all reply to WindyCityHeat threads anyways.  His only intent is to stur things up.  His last topic was locked and he was threatened with a banning if he kept it up.

Third:

Viper1 said:
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/99695/windycityheat/posts/#content

Do not feed.

Really... some of you Nintendo fans really need to stop encouraging this type of mess and just let it fall into oblivion and beyond.  Take Viper's advice and just stop supporting these threads.  No meaningful discussion can be had and the same old Sony fans just camp out in them with the intent of trolling/riling people up.  Just ignore these threads.

Around the Network
KungKras said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Exactly. Nintendo better pander to the casuals because they aren't going to win any hardcore battle with Microsoft and Sony. They played it smart and came out on top with their last console. I suggest they follow suit and commercialize the hell out of it.

I cringe everytime I hear the word 'casuals' because it seems like a degroratory term gamers use to talk about 'normal' people.

Almost everything seems to be 'casual' vs 'core'/'hardcore' for this guy if you read his posts. And it always gives you a vibe of ''core/hardcore'' being superior to ''casuals''.

Just another one of these elitist snobs you'll find on forum dedicated to a hobby.

fmjasinski said:

Sorry for that. Like an old school gamer I do not feel so good about this and about the discussion hardcore x casual, that always diminish the last one.

Ignore my post. Go on.

I know how you feel.

I hate the hardcore/casual framing as well, and what it has done to gaming discussions.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Well I think what made the Wii so successful is that they went in the direction of a whole new audiance and re-educated the current one. That is not they strategy with the Wii U, they're are trying to go after an audiance that are alreday satisfied, the only ones that where not completly satisfied were Nintendo fans themselves, that's why is all about "U" guys now, so don't be expecting it to be as succesful.

Kenology said:

First: This should've ended the thread.

Second: I don't know why you all reply to WindyCityHeat threads anyways.  His only intent is to stur things up.  His last topic was locked and he was threatened with a banning if he kept it up.

Third:

Viper1 said:
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/99695/windycityheat/posts/#content

Do not feed.

Really... some of you Nintendo fans really need to stop encouraging this type of mess and just let it fall into oblivion and beyond.  Take Viper's advice and just stop supporting these threads.  No meaningful discussion can be had and the same old Sony fans just camp out in them with the intent of trolling/riling people up.  Just ignore these threads.

I think I used this thread to make some great points about the "hardcore/casual" framing of gaming :<

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
fmjasinski said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
KungKras said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I dont consider those games quality, I consider them smart gimmicks. Remember this is a videogame site and this is about sales. Nintendo hasnt been selling big over legit titles, which is why they were never taken seriously by third parties. The casuals buy it, play it and put it in the closet plain and simple. The main people still using their Wii's today are the Nintendo core which are the same loyalists who bought the Wii U in the first place. Without a Wii mote being in the forefront they wont have the demand to beat Sony and Microsoft. I think sales have proven the point that Nintendo cant beat them without luring casuals. How in the world could a console sell double what the competition did at one point and still have less use? 

The way things are going....I feel a change in the winds this coming new gen.

You really should rethink your position about the 'casuals'. They're people like you and me, and and they are probably gaming's most demanding customers since they aren't affected by the slick industry marketing.

I learned the difference between myself and casuals after highschool. Two different types of gamers. I game as a hobby and they dont. They dont want to learn how to use a 13-16 button controller just to play a game. They want simple, instant gratification like people got in the arcades when they were younger. Why did people always circle around the kids playing killer instinct and street fighter in the arcade? Because when skill became involved that when the casuals either watched in amazement or ran off. Nintendo used to sell well to the legit core until you know who came. It hasnt been the same since. 

So Arcade is for casuals?  And Fifa is for hardcore? 

Arcades are in amusment parks as to amuse the general public. Where do you think the following started? Six buttons one joystick max. Its not that hard, even the Sega Genesis had it. The majority enjoyed the fun of the arcade games, the hobbyists went religiously and floored the general public with their ability to master games. Most sports titles are quite complex today.

Play4Fun said:

Almost everything seems to be 'casual' vs 'core'/'hardcore' for this guy if you read his posts. And it always gives you a vibe of ''core/hardcore'' being superior to ''casuals''.

Just another one of these elitist snobs you'll find on forum dedicated to a hobby.

Anyone who uses the terms "hardcore" and "casual" will come across as elitist and snobby. That's why we need to stop using them.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Desertghost said:

That is not they strategy with the Wii U, they're are trying to go after an audiance that are alreday satisfied, the only ones that where not completly satisfied were Nintendo fans themselves, that's why is all about "U" guys now, so don't be expecting it to be as succesful.

What? Just slow down a bit while typing please. Also nice sig? in the body of your post.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ridiculous theory, since the 3DS is the best selling console this christmas.

Nintendo profits. End of thread.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

KungKras said:
Play4Fun said:

Anyone who uses the terms "hardcore" and "casual" will come across as elitist and snobby. That's why we need to stop using them.

Well, as of lately, I see more and more of journalists and industry excepting the terms "hard-core", "mid-core" and "casual", but trying to define it differently than the usual genre accociated definition, and tying it more to general daily/weekly amount of time spent on gaming, and place of gaming in that persons schedule.